The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Smile Has anyone bred a large mare to a Miniature stallion?

I have to ask. Accidental or intentional.. Do you know of a foal being born to a large mare by a Mini stallion. I know this sounds crazy, but my lovely Oldenburg mare has locking stifles... not terrible, but she's SOOO much better when she's pregnant. They're never a problem when under saddle, and she gets a ton of turn out. I've blistered with little improvement, Adequan, etc. She's loose and perfect when in foal.... soooo.

I just weaned her foal by Rosenthal this weekend. http://www.pleasantmeadowfarm.com/rothaus.cfm

She was in work through the majority of her pregnancy (regular work through month 8) and she went back to work two weeks after his birth. She has the most amazing work ethic I've ever encountered! She's all business in tack... even with the little monster runs loops around her! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J0ja...e=channel_page

So here I am a few days after weaning and I can see her stifles begin to lock up. So here's my dilemma: I would like to keep her going under saddle, and think breeding her to something small would afford us more time before her break for motherhood. Really small. I know of a Mini stallion who competes well at Combined Driving, and I'm wondering what the cross would produce.

Yes, this is just a hypothetical at the moment. She's a great mom, produces lovely foals, and sure, I could cross her with a nice small/medium to get a lovely sport pony prospect. I'm just wondering what a Mini cross would produce.

I can't wait to see everyone's answers to this question.

But my first thought was a foal too small to reach up to nurse. Funny mental image.
    There are stars in the Southern sky and if ever you decide you should go there is a taste of time sweetened honey.

Don't waste your lovely mare on a miniature. Ick.

If you feel she must be in foal, what about breeding her to a pony stallion? Something that actually has something to offer. There are so many lovely choices out there, where you could actually end up with a beautiful, marketable foal.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

I'm considering a Sec. A Welsh stallion. I was just wondering if anyone has had Mini/Horse foal... curious.

Oh, I must say - I'm a fan of Wedderlie Mardi Gras! What do you think the Sec. B cross to a 16.2 mare would produce?

oh, please don't . . choose any other adequately sized pony sire but not a mini, lord no. . not a mini
    Willow Run Connemaras
    Home of: "Willow Boy" (*Chiltern Colm ex *Sillbridge Miranda by Thunderbolt)
    ~Irish Connemara Ponies for Sport and Pleasure~
    www.willowrunconnemaras.com

I have to agree that breeding such a nice mare to a mini is a shame!!!

I would go for a nice quality pony, something that has produced nice show ponies

Quote Originally Posted by pleasantmeadowfarm View Post
    I'm considering a Sec. A Welsh stallion. I was just wondering if anyone has had Mini/Horse foal... curious.

Oh, I must say - I'm a fan of Wedderlie Mardi Gras! What do you think the Sec. B cross to a 16.2 mare would produce?

Bred to Mardi Gras, I think you would get an absolutely LOVELY foal -- but I have my doubts about it staying pony size. While he does not have hidden size anywhere in his pedigree, I think that you could end up with a foal in the 14.2 to 15 hand range....
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Very nice mare! I must admit, my first thought on reading the subject line was, "I HOPE you're talking AI???"

Why not give her estrogen for her stifles?

Default yup - tried Estrone too.

Again, I'm really just WONDERING if anyone has seen a successful Horse/Mini cross. My mare's first offspring ended up 17H by a TB stallion. I know she throws big.. hence the curiosity.

Hmmm, unless I built the little guy a ramp... Yes, it would be AI. I will probably cross her to a small Welsh. BUT..

Beautiful mare! And lovely foal!

I would really fear for producing a "hony" when breeding a mini to 16.2 hand mare. To be completely honest, many minuatures really don't have good conformation. I actually knew somebody who tried (by AI) to breed their mare to their mini stallion, but I don't think the mare ended up getting in foal. I think Miniatures are one of those breeds that really have been down-bred to so much, that your comprimsing the quality of the animal. I see most of the faults in the leg conformation with Minis. I had a large mini (not registered, I think he was actually several inches over the max height) that I did driving with for a while, awesome little guy, and tons of fun. But yikes was he cow hocked!

I would consider a Section A stallion, if you really want to stay pony size. I agree, she'd be an awesome cross to produce a sportpony Whats her breeding? Is there a lot of "height" in her bloodlines?
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

That's what I was wondering.. would it even take. I've seen some funky Mini's and a few really nicely put together ones... still waiting to hear if anyone's seen a CROSS yet....

Here's my mare's bloodlines:
    SIRE
    http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/sambucca
    Dam side is TB, and I admit I don't know that much about these lines:
    DAM
    http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/balmoral+lady

I understand that you want to keep the mare in foal for riding purposes, but why not go with a nice Section A?
    I just can't imagine you are going to get something marketable with a mini. Such a waste of your mare. In addition, creating an animal with not much worth. I guess if you have plenty of room and plenty of money to keep it forever -thats one thing.. but if you plan on selling it, I would go the Section A route.
    Something just popped into my head--- how big are those little Caspian studs? maybe that would be an option? I do not think they are so mis conformed as a lot of mini's.
    Windswept Stables-Specializing in Ponies
    Sales, Breaking,Training,Showing, Stud Service

Home of 2008 Sire of Year Reserve Champion
    Pony Hunter Breeding - Empires Power

www.EmpiresPower.com

I have to ask. Accidental or intentional.. Do you know of a foal being born to a large mare by a Mini stallion. I know this sounds crazy, but my lovely Oldenburg mare has locking stifles... not terrible, but she's SOOO much better when she's pregnant. They're never a problem when under saddle, and she gets a ton of turn out. I've blistered with little improvement, Adequan, etc. She's loose and perfect when in foal.... soooo.

I just weaned her foal by Rosenthal this weekend. http://www.pleasantmeadowfarm.com/rothaus.cfm

She was in work through the majority of her pregnancy (regular work through month 8) and she went back to work two weeks after his birth. She has the most amazing work ethic I've ever encountered! She's all business in tack... even with the little monster runs loops around her! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J0ja...e=channel_page

So here I am a few days after weaning and I can see her stifles begin to lock up. So here's my dilemma: I would like to keep her going under saddle, and think breeding her to something small would afford us more time before her break for motherhood. Really small. I know of a Mini stallion who competes well at Combined Driving, and I'm wondering what the cross would produce.

Yes, this is just a hypothetical at the moment. She's a great mom, produces lovely foals, and sure, I could cross her with a nice small/medium to get a lovely sport pony prospect. I'm just wondering what a Mini cross would produce.
    Why in heaven's would you want to do such a thing? Just keep producing foals to keep the mare limber? Seriously...

Instead, why not try to find out WHY being pregnant keeps her stifles from locking up. Personally, I cannot figure out a connection, but I'm not the vet. Do you feed her anything different when she's pregnant? Maybe it's hormonal. Try a marble -- that "mimics" pregnancy...

I would explore every other possibility before the "let's keep her pregnant all the time" option and if nothing worked, for goodness sake breed her to a stallion that will produce a useful and marketable foal. There are enough unwanted horses out there as it is without producing some freak.

My goodness. I will continue to find alternate ways to keep her stifles from locking up. Regardless, she's perfect under saddle. Locking isn't severe.

She is an amazing performance horse, and a fabulous mother. Her first offspring is kicking butt with his Young Rider. I don't HAVE to breed her, and certainly not for the exclusive reason of keeping her limber. No, diet doesn't change, it's all hormonal. I'm happy with her no matter what.

It just got me to thinking. Yes, a Section A would be my best bet at a sport pony. I'm also thinking about New Forest or German Riding pony, either I would assume would give me a fabulous small horse.

I will continue to put the question out there...

Anyone know of a Horse/mini cross?....

I have to ask. Accidental or intentional.. Do you know of a foal being born to a large mare by a Mini stallion.
    I've seen one. Very, very, VERY wrong looking. It was literally the perfect example of why not to breed two very different types of pheno types to each other.

With that said, there are other things to consider. First, mini's have a high incidence of dwarfism, estimated as high as 30%. And, as someone else noted, you could have issues with the foal being tall enough to nurse. That was a problem that occurred with a breeder I knew years ago when they crossed a Shetland with a TB. And your registration option would be pretty darn near nil.

If you are looking to ride your mare, with locking stifles, building up those supporting muscles are the key. Hill work, gymnastics and good conditioning usually is the key. If you're looking at breeding, the size difference in the foal from a full sized warmblood foal to a warmblood/pony cross isn't probably going to be that significant. We do have a lovely Wedderlie Mardi Gras cross out of a warmblood mare, so that definitely would be a better option than going with a miniature. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Hope that helps!

Kathy St.Martin
    Equine Reproduction Short Courses
    http://www.equine-reproduction.com
    Check out our Holiday Enrollment Special!

There was a FANTASTIC chestnut GRP stallion posted on here a while back - he would be my choice in a heartbeat if I was going to breed for a top quality pony.

Anyone remember that guys name??
    Blacktree Farm
    Lessons, training & sporthorse sales. Proud supporter of our buckskin German Warmblood stallion, Yeager GF.
    Blacktree Studio
    Graphic Design, Web Design & Photography.

http://www.ponychardonnay.com/ Is this the pony you are referring to? He is lovely.

I remembered his name - 'Voyager'. Amazing guy.

http://www.germanridingpony.com/Voyager/Voyager.htm
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM93NkZulo0 - xc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Enj_BLwbIg - dressage

ooohh - Chardonnay is also very nice. Maybe we should start an awesome GRP stallions thread!
    Blacktree Farm
    Lessons, training & sporthorse sales. Proud supporter of our buckskin German Warmblood stallion, Yeager GF.
    Blacktree Studio
    Graphic Design, Web Design & Photography.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyzteke View Post
    Instead, why not try to find out WHY being pregnant keeps her stifles from locking up. Personally, I cannot figure out a connection,
    Estrogen