I use frontline on my cats and dogs (farm pets). They come home covered in ticks all summer long..but they're not all fat and filled with blood. The vet told me that the ticks will still get on them (cuz its not a 'repellent') but when they bite, they get poisoned. So even if the tick is in your house (due to dog brining in) or on your dog, it will die soon cuz its been poisoned.
This made me feel a LITTLE better, but the lil turds are still crawling around and thats gross...even if I KNOW they'll die.
Last year, I went to a seminar at work about pesticide resistance and this came up. It's becoming fairly well known in the industry that fleas (and possibly ticks) in certain regions are developing resistance to one or more of these insecticides. Sometimes switching products helps, although I think it's probably a matter of time before we see resistance to multiple products.
If you are having a problem with resistance, definitely report it to the company, preferably in writing. It'll be a sad day when none of these work.
Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.
I started using Advantix on Stella when my former roomate's dog developed an alergy to something in Advantix (she gave me her left overs). Worked FAR better than the Frontline had been. In fact, I haven't had to retreat her in months!
Yeah I got the free stuff from Frontline when I called to tell them that their product wasn't working on my goldens. (never used it..didnt work) I started them on Advantix (be careful around cats it is toxic to them) The very helpful operator told me "you know, it takes a good frost to completely get rid of the outside fleas and ticks that they pick up out side..." " Yeah I know it has been BELOW ZERO HERE FOR A WEEK" duh! Well never went back to Frontline and Advantix seems to be working very well. Good luck.
The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.
The Frontline is working for mine, but I'm not in a really bad area from ticks. I've been told the same thing about the ticks may be on them but they shouldn't be attached and fat. I would NEVER recommend someone using Advantix if you have cats, it is toxic to them!!!
The only sure thing I have found to work for my setters when we send them out into the fields on trials is the Preventix collars. I have tried every liquid type treatment and none of them worked for me.
I collars are rubber and should be fitted close to the neck. The ticks will jump on but they never bite. We have found a couple crawling around but never any that had attached. The collars say they last around 90 days but I have found that they worked for much longer, closer to 5 months!
Last trial we went to every human came back in and they all had ticks! The dogs, not one! I think I'll slap one on my dogs' handler next time too!
You can get them from vets or some of the larger vet supply companies. They really do work well!
My dog is a flea-magnet, something my vet agreed with. I had her on Frontline along with 90-day flea+tick collar (changed monthly) and a once monthly flea dip. And she was still covered in fleas. FYI- the 4 barn kitties treated w/ flea collars had only a few fleas - expected of animals living outside in SC.
Tried the Promeris and it worked wonderfully. She is no longer covered in fleas and her coat grew back. Also I continued to use the flea collar and used flea dip to spray her house + straw bedding. Another fact my vet shared - no baths 1 week before or after spot on treatment. The natural oils are necessary for the treatment to work.
"Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
Courtesy my cousin Tim
Frontline quit working on our farm dogs as well. By late summer, one of mine would get covered with ticks. What we found that has worked really well has been Preventic collars. They are about $18 at the vet, and we still use Frontline for fleas, and the combination has been great.
We switched from frontline to advantix last year. The biggest help was having the trees in the yard sprayed for gypsy moth caterpillars this past spring. We had considerably less ticks this year. We do Lymes vaccines and annual blood tests. Even with all that, we had one dog get Lymes disease and get very sick last week. She's back to normal but it kind of makes me wonder why we bothered.