The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Speaking of Connemaras . . .

I found this lovely video clip online and thought to share it here for other Connemara and sport pony breeders/enthusiasts. Ms. Pat Lyne, our stallion's sire's breeder, is one of the judges. I feel as though her comments really shed some light on issues specific to the breed. If you are up to it, please comment and share your thoughts, reactions, etc. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjwQr...eature=related

p.s. this is just one video of a series. . you can click on the on the others once on YouTube. :-)
    Last edited by erinwillow; Dec. 20, 2008 at 04:10 PM. Reason: always forgetting what I REALLY needed to say :-)
    Willow Run Connemaras
    Home of: "Willow Boy" (*Chiltern Colm ex *Sillbridge Miranda by Thunderbolt)
    ~Irish Connemara Ponies for Sport and Pleasure~
    www.willowrunconnemaras.com

Thank you for sharing this. I am trying to learn as much as I can on this breed as I now own one! My mare is built quite like the first one in this video, nice and solid. In fact, but for the color, they look a lot alike!

Thank you Picasso I think the entire series of these videos are quite educational. The women who are judging and commenting on these ponies are very well regarded and I really appreciated hearing them "live" so to speak. Congratulations on your Connemara!!! yay!! Please share all about her!
    Willow Run Connemaras

C'mon you Connemara lovers. . .no additional comments? These videos are great AND insightful. I especially like this one where she reminds us to consider height and traditional "pony" characteristics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfEUj...eature=related
    Last edited by erinwillow; Dec. 21, 2008 at 10:02 AM. Reason: oops forgot the link!
    Willow Run Connemaras

Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

The judge shows great affection for the pony and horse that she is appraising. The grey horse, who is apparently a cross, received comments appropriate to the horse itself and not just in terms of whether it was a good connemara type. She comments about how it misses marks on type but then does a lovely commentary on what is wonderful about him. Just loved the attitude.

My favorite comments were (and these are paraphrased):
    "Breeders must be careful to not let what the buyers want determine what they breed." (ie don't loose the type to sell)
    "If you have a favorite horse that you always rely on, that is the horse you should breed because that horse has some characteristics that should be passed on or it would not be your favorite mount"
    "The judges will determine the future of the breed by giving breeders direction"
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

Quote Originally Posted by Stacie View Post
    The judge shows great affection for the pony and horse that she is appraising. The grey horse, who is apparently a cross, received comments appropriate to the horse itself and not just in terms of whether it was a good connemara type. She comments about how it misses marks on type but then does a lovely commentary on what is wonderful about him. Just loved the attitude.

"Breeders must be careful to not let what the buyers want determine what they breed." (ie don't loose the type to sell)
    "If you have a favorite horse that you always rely on, that is the horse you should breed because that horse has some characteristics that should be passed on or it would not be your favorite mount"
    "The judges will determine the future of the breed by giving breeders direction"

Stacie,

I am so glad that you highlighted the comments as you did. They really are kernals of wisdom. She is *so* right to mention these things in particular with a native breed like the Connemara. It really gives the listener/observer something to think about instead of just random comments about the horse or pony in the ring. Gives us all a bit of direction and thoughtfulness to what we are doing. . . thank you for commenting.
    Willow Run Connemaras

I too enjoyed these videos, and wondered if the other judge wasn't Lib Petch (Coosheen Stud, IRE) and the third fellow, is that Bob Lanburn (Lanburn Stud, UK)....really wasn't sure who all the speakers were.

I thought the presentation was quite interesting and currently have both types in of ponies in my breeding program (I actually think there are more types in our breed than what they touch on here in this video). My younger filly represents more of 'the horsey' type, with the longer length of rein, longer frame, and "LOOKS" longer legged (she is 14.2 but is definitely more horselike in character). Her ears leave something to be desired as well....though if she does grow into them, she is going to be HUGE! Along with these more horse like characteristics she definitely shows other valuable breed characteristics....like a huge ground covering stride, deep bodied/well sprung ribs, excellent bone, clean joints and that famous Connemara temperament.

My older mare and stallion I think fit more readily into the classic "Pony" type. Both have quality pony heads, tiny ears, shorter frames, deeper bodies, great bone, feet, joints and large ground covering strides, with the more rounded knee vs. shorter up down action (I think the dun mare in the video shows too much knee--but very hard to say as she never really gets to stride out).

My three year old on the other hand represents something in between--and is what we strive for in our program. He is a big boy with out being coarse or horsey with very strong pony characteristic/quality--if I were to criticize I would say he lacks some of the "ruggedness" our breed is known for....but would also say the same of the ponies being shown in this video---AND I'm not saying they aren't nice, but at least in my opinion some appear to be distinctly show quality.

My point: I think there is room for diversity....viva la difference!
    Last edited by goodpony; Dec. 21, 2008 at 01:57 PM.

goodpony,

Intersting videos!

Funny, Pat Lyne was sure to say straight away that the grey (the first gray??) wasn't a pony at all, "well, first off. . I wouldn't call it a pony". . though it had nice qualities about it. She certainly takes into question the definition of "pony".

lol, I had to laugh though when one of the judges mentioned the "long ears" on one of the ponies. . then the other answered saying "long ears equal wisdom" Cute little pony, long ears and all.

My favorite pony of this video series would proablly be the little dun filly with the nice hindquarters and a "lofty tail"
    Willow Run Connemaras

Quote Originally Posted by Stacie View Post

I especially loved those quotes due to the nature of what is going on in breeding in Ireland:

It used to be the pony was passed or failed. No inbetween. Those that were failed were 'lost' to the breed so to speak. Unable to breed.

Now there is a 3 tier-ed Grading System to act as a check and counterbalance - all ponies are registrable and breedable but the Grading system measures their and their progenies quality.

There was a big hoopla over it with some breeders embracing it and others believing it should be the cut-and-dried version of the past. And there was the worry that because it was breedable people would breed and lose type and quality

Example of that:

Overheights are now permissable - Grade 2
    Blue Eyed Creams - Grade 2

Before they wouldn't have been.

We personally used a Grade 2 Stallion in Ireland a season back - lovely pony couldn't fault him except for being overheight (15 hands) - unfortunately we lost that foal.

Grade 2's and 3's are also unallowed to be shown in Connemara shows. (The exception being of course the Pony is under Inspection-age and thus a Grade 3 anyway until brought forth)
    *The Quietman ~ Irish Approved Gr.1 Stallion
    www.windyislesfarms.com
    Like Us on Facebook

I think the direction of the breed is already beginning to show around the world.....And perhaps no where more than Clifden show....pretty much across the board, *judging from the photos on Foto-Job* it would at least appear that a more traditional "pony type" is being rewarded.

Ponies in the UK are ineligible to show in 'strict' breed classes if they are over 14.2--at least this is my understanding. The British Society has actually published a guide for purchasers with respect to the classification system....visit the BCPS website to read.

I didn't get to watch the video but have to commment on the breed. One of my clients has Connemaras and I have to say they are very cool little horses. They are workaholics, love people, very willing to please and quite athletic! So much fun to work with!

Quote Originally Posted by goodpony View Post
    I think the direction of the breed is already beginning to show around the world.....And perhaps no where more than Clifden show....pretty much across the board, *judging from the photos on Foto-Job* it would at least appear that a more traditional "pony type" is being rewarded.
    I agree
    *The Quietman ~ Irish Approved Gr.1 Stallion
    www.windyislesfarms.com
    Like Us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Feet View Post
    I didn't get to watch the video but have to commment on the breed. One of my clients has Connemaras and I have to say they are very cool little horses. They are workaholics, love people, very willing to please and quite athletic! So much fun to work with!
    Thank you for your insight HappyFeet. . you've nailed it right on the head! "Workaholics" that they are indeed!! Thanks for posting . . . they are *so* much fun to work with and be around
    Willow Run Connemaras

Quote Originally Posted by goodpony View Post

Ponies in the UK are ineligible to show in 'strict' breed classes if they are over 14.2--at least this is my understanding. The British Society has actually published a guide for purchasers with respect to the classification system....visit the BCPS website to read.
    I'd love to read that. . do you have a link to the BCPS regarding this issue. . FANtastic! It's about time that societies really put into question HEIGHT! thanks for sharing.
    Willow Run Connemaras

http://www.britishconnemaras.co.uk/

Half way down on the right under the black heading: Guide for Purchasers on Classification.

Sorry....I don't seem to be able to link to this file.

Also, I got to thinking about the grey pony shown on this video (the overheight pony)..... this guy is definitely a "GELDING" and therefore not breeding stock......bit unfair to hold him to the same standard as breeding stock, though the point is well taken.