The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Private inspection versus "Official" inspection WTH??

I had a mare inspected at a private inspection at the breeder's farm since she was growing up there and breeder arranged it. My mare got a huge score and was put into Premium Mare book. I was thrilled. Now I find out that because she was inspected at at "private inspection", she is not eligible for the high score awards (with her high score, I think she could've done very well here) or for mention in the newsletter (this is a minor deal, but still). The breeder never informed me (registry said she should have and was well aware of the rules), if I had been told I would've gladly sent her to the "official" inspection that was only 15 miles away as that was where she went to be inspected/branded as a foal. I still had to pay the same amount of $$ to the registry, handling fees, braiding, etc. and my mare doesn't get the recognition. WTH?? Are all registries like this? Am I correct to feel a bit "ripped off"??

I have no idea, but..... it seems that a score is a score, no matter where its given. I can see if they did not want to give placings awards due to it being private, but I dont understand not wanting to recongize a good score.
    www.spindletopfarm.net
    Home of Puerto D'Azur - 1998 NA 100 Day Test Champion
    "Charcter is much easier kept than recovered"

I've bred a couple of older mares and twice was dealing with post-foaling infections that kept us away from shows and inspections in the early months of the foals' lives. Sometimes, these on-farm inspections can be a great help. But if nothing was preventing this breeder from taking the mare and foal, I'd say you're dealing with sheer laziness, and that's a real shame.

It's unfortunate when breeders do what's convenient for them. I think it happens more frequently if the foal is already sold, by the way.

What I don't get is that these people don't seem to understand the business repercussions of such a move. I mean, does this person expect that you might now refer customers to her, or might buy from her again?
    Kendra
    Runningwater Warmbloods & Mare Station

Home of SPS Diorella (Donnerhall/ Akut) and EM Raleska (Rascalino/ Warkant) 'Like' us on Facebook

This happened to me with my mare *In The Czone */ /* two years ago, she would have been West Coast reserve champion mare. But, since the mare has done everything, won everything, I was a little bummed but figured she has a bunch of USDF and USEF national titles, so who really cares about inspection scores anyway? I am more proud of the fact she won in the Regulars at Zone finals! People out there showing think inspections are OK but performance in the ring is what matters.

I agree with you about the private inspection thing, a score is a score but in the big picture, the ring is what matters most.

I had a private inspection and was surprised that the babies don't qualify for high score. They never told me before hand. The criteria is the same, why aren't the registries using the scores. It doesn't seem to make sense. In my case I don't have room for lots of outside horses coming in which is why it was private. Next year I'll do a public one but only the first few people will get a space.
    www.grayfoxfarms.com Home of Redwine, Aloha, Federalist, Romantic Star and Rated R.

Wow.... I had no idea that was how it worked. I wonder why a score isn't a score? That totally does NOT make sense.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Quote Originally Posted by STF View Post
    I have no idea, but..... it seems that a score is a score, no matter where its given. I can see if they did not want to give placings awards due to it being private, but I dont understand not wanting to recongize a good score.
    Placings at the inspection, I don't care about, people can add and see who got the best score for this particular registry anyway. It's a matter of not being eligible for national awards or being recognized in their newsletter.

Quote Originally Posted by hansiska View Post
    I've bred a couple of older mares and twice was dealing with post-foaling infections that kept us away from shows and inspections in the early months of the foals' lives. Sometimes, these on-farm inspections can be a great help. But if nothing was preventing this breeder from taking the mare and foal, I'd say you're dealing with sheer laziness, and that's a real shame.

It's unfortunate when breeders do what's convenient for them. I think it happens more frequently if the foal is already sold, by the way.

What I don't get is that these people don't seem to understand the business repercussions of such a move. I mean, does this person expect that you might now refer customers to her, or might buy from her again?
    Thanks for the PM. Nothing like that was keeping her from taking the mares and foals other than having quite a few, it had been doable in the past, though, what has changed I dunno. The registry tells me the breeder was well aware of the rules, but she never told me. This is just another thing in the long list of things she never communicated. I'm very frustrated with her right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubs Not Pats View Post
    This happened to me with my mare *In The Czone */ /* two years ago, she would have been West Coast reserve champion mare. But, since the mare has done everything, won everything, I was a little bummed but figured she has a bunch of USDF and USEF national titles, so who really cares about inspection scores anyway? I am more proud of the fact she won in the Regulars at Zone finals! People out there showing think inspections are OK but performance in the ring is what matters.

I agree with you about the private inspection thing, a score is a score but in the big picture, the ring is what matters most.
    I totally agree with you, but this is a young mare who is in foal and will not be out in the ring anytime soon. This would've been a nice award to start her resume'.

Quote Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
    . They never told me before hand. The criteria is the same, why aren't the registries using the scores. It doesn't seem to make sense.
    That's dirty, not telling you. I agree, I just don't get the reasoning behind it. I sent them an email for an explanation, we'll see what I get...if anything.

Quote Originally Posted by rideagoldenpony View Post
    Wow.... I had no idea that was how it worked. I wonder why a score isn't a score? That totally does NOT make sense.
    Well, it is a score, I mean it's written down and she's in the premium mare book but she's not eligible for the national awards. It stinks, in my opinion...especially since this was a person that I trusted to handle this for me...someone who knows the rules and is very experienced with this sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dune View Post

Well, it is a score, I mean it's written down and she's in the premium mare book but she's not eligible for the national awards. It stinks, in my opinion...especially since this was a person that I trusted to handle this for me...someone who knows the rules and is very experienced with this sort of thing.
    I think it is stinky and does not make sense given the registry recognized the score as qualifying for the premium mare book, which ultimately is more significant than a plaque. Either a score counts or it does not. I guess the thought must be that allowing only scores from "public" inspections to count for year-end prizes avoids speculation about favoritism/politics/unfairness as such scores would be given in a place "all can see" theoretically, so there is a certain level of accountability. I am not sure why that concern would not extend to admission to the premium mare book, but it is less likely that deeming a mare premium would generate whining about the results from others, as the fact that a given mare is awarded premium would not impact whether another mare could also be deemed premium (unlike a year-end placing, which necessarily ranks one horse relative to others).

Congratulations on your premium, though! I would not fret about the other stuff; though it is frustrating ultimately you know you have a good mare and that is what matters.

The registry tells me the breeder was well aware of the rules, but she never told me. .
    Have you asked the breeder if she was aware of this, or are you just taking the registry's word that they think she knew?

Quote Originally Posted by Fairview Horse Center View Post
    Have you asked the breeder if she was aware of this, or are you just taking the registry's word that they think she knew?
    She was aware, trust me on this. This is not a newbie breeder, this is someone quite familiar with the whole process. There is a pattern of lack of communication. That is why it's so frustrating. You can PM me if you want the gory details. Besides all that drama, I just think it's a ridiculous policy for the registry to have. To my way of thinking, it even diminishes the supposed high point awards because, if my mare was any example, maybe there are even more "high scores" out there. Or maybe it diminishes *my* mare's premium...maybe she wasn't really "worth" that score. Geez, another can of worms, when/if I go to sell her do I have to disclose, "WEll, gee, she's a premium mare....kinda".??

Geez, another can of worms, when/if I go to sell her do I have to disclose, "WEll, gee, she's a premium mare....kinda".??
    No, she is a premium mare, period, if the registry deemed her such.

The mare is a premium mare, and the score speaks for itself. If you ever go to sell her, she still has the credentials. I have another beef with the registries, though. My mare, who's in the main mare book, has produced 3 foals, all of whom were Premium, and the Champion foals at their inspections. That accomplishment should've qualified my mare for a star to be added to her name, but when I inquired about it, I was told there was another fee if I wanted the star. That seems ridiculous to me. I pay the membership fees for myself and my mares every year, but I have to pay extra for an award my mare earned? That's like going to a show, winning the class, and then having to pay extra if I want the ribbon and the prize. So how much do all the awards, plaques, mentions in the newsletters, etc. mean? Just how much money you paid them.

For me, the real issue here is customer satisfaction. With all the talk about the market and the economy, I find it surprising that breeders would jeopardize their business -- both repeat business from a dissatisfied customer as well as the potential business of those who hear about what happened -- by neglecting details like this.
    Kendra
    Runningwater Warmbloods & Mare Station

Home of SPS Diorella (Donnerhall/ Akut) and EM Raleska (Rascalino/ Warkant) 'Like' us on Facebook

To the OP, did you send in your paperwork for your horse or did the breeder do it for you? I think the registry should have told you, not passed it off on the breeder. After all it is your horse, you have to be a member of the registry and it isn't someone elses responsibility as a third party to explain the rules. The registry should explain their own stupid rules.

Mare dues? What registry charges mare dues? We pay stallion fees and mare/foal registration and inspection fees. Are mare dues every year????
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

I would have never thought that a private inspection score would not be allowed to stand in a national ranking, and I have been dealing with MANY of the registries for a long time.

IMO, if the inspector saw that the mare was likely to be competitive for a national award, they should have stopped the inspection, approached the owner, and suggested taking the mare to a regular site.

Quote Originally Posted by not again View Post
    Mare dues? What registry charges mare dues? We pay stallion fees and mare/foal registration and inspection fees. Are mare dues every year????

I breed Hanoverian and Oldenburgs and both those registries charge yearly mare dues!
    Hoppe, Hoppe, Reiter...
    Wenn er faellt dann schreit er...

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    forward is like love - you can never have enough

Quote Originally Posted by not again View Post
    Both the AHS and Oldenburg/NA charge mare dues. They are due annually, and required for year of conception and year of foaling to register the foal.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

The Star Award Program requires a one time fee to enroll the mare (or stallion) in the program. Any additional stars earned are included in that cost. The mares get listed on the website and in the Breeders Guide with the owner's and breeder's name and a picture if you (or the host site) sends one in. It gets a lot of coverage for the initial charge and gets your name out there as a breeder.
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

So how much do all the awards, plaques, mentions in the newsletters, etc. mean? Just how much money you paid them.
    More lights going on!!