The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Question Am I just doomed to always freeze now?

I had a mild frostbite of my feet a few years ago. Feet have been a problem since. I'm sort of starting to remember to deal with it before it becomes an issue.

Last few days/nights I've started having finger issues. I'm thinking I must've gotten TOO cold at some point (fairly recently) with the fingers too. I'm not making it more than 5 minutes before they hurt. Wearing thinsulate lined pigskin work gloves I've loved for a couple years. (I get a new set of 2 pair each year, retire last year's to barn use... ) Hurt warming back up.

I do take Byetta, which one of the side effects is cold feet and/or fingers... sort of like Reynauds. So far I haven't been able to find any ideas for offsetting it, and I really can't go off it...

Am I just doomed to never be able to work in the cold again? It's pretty damn debilitating. I know this sounds a little out there, but any diet changes that might help?

Old threads have said some people have success with capsacin type creams--but those feels COLD to me, not hot...

I suppose I should give myself a bit of a break, windchill this AM is -17. I guess it's not entirely out of the question that I'd be cold...
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

I suffered a mild case of frost bite to my ears and fingers when I was a teenager (Upstate NY paper route, 10 below zero, no hat or gloves - alas, should have listened to Mom) My ears and finger tips are extraordinarily sensitive to the cold. If it's below 40, they hurt if not well-covered. I feel your pain! Those little hand/foot warmer jobbies are your friend.

Thumbs up just my 2 cents!

Please make sure you are well hydrated before going out in the bitter cold. It helps keep your circulation open. Lotsa water all winter! The dry air and panting can really dry you out.

Glove liners! Silk, mylar, whatever. Go to a ski shop and buy the best!

No tight clothing/socks/gloves etc. Roomier=warmer! Keep your core warm to help your extremities.

When I was an active, regular snow skier; we all knew that mittens are tons warmer than fingered gloves too. WITH glove liners that are fingered ok!!

I may be confused, but don't you have diabetes? Doesn't that mess with circulation to the tiny bits far away?

el--yes, I am diabetic, hence the Byetta. So far, no circulation issues, my last A1c was a remarkable, celebratory 5.0 (which is on the good side of *normal*--but managed by lots of meds and diet)

It COULD be that though. I've hit "a certain age."

Today was just STUPID. Heat was broken at work. So I sat, INSIDE, in cuddleduds & techincal top, t-neck, ballistic vest, WINTER JACKET and was still cold.

First time I was warm all day was just now, finishing up chores and pushing hay off truc k and sscrewing around with the Killer Round Bale. I was wearing Down vest under down jacket which Does Not Zip. Hands were great--I was getting a little too warm under that vest. A Good Thing.

I'm headed to The City tomorrow after church to look for good liners. I do have one pair of mittens that convert to fingerless gloves that are *just* barely too large, so the fingers cover all but the tip--they are LOVELY. Alas, they are wool covered thinsulate, and I loff them for going home from work at 0200, so *hate* to do chores in them, because of the chaff factor. Spelled right--Hay chaff, not chafe or chap.

I guess another pair is in order.

Thanks. Honestly, I wasn't entirely sure the heat at work wasn't working when I whined about it. Um, ya think being freezing INDOORS might have made me a little more whiney??

I wear these socks whenever my feet get cold: http://www.achieve-o2socks.com/ao2-h...x-med-cre.html

I think they were originally created for diabetics, but the company has been marketing them at Equine Affaire and equine expos, and they are pretty good! They make my feet tingle as they increase the circulation to them, and I even wear them to bed at night to keep my feet toasty and warm. I have 3 pairs, and wish I could afford to have about 20 pairs. They are wonderful!

The name of the material is holofiber, of Holofiber Enterprises, Inc. Here is the website for more information on the textile: www.holofiber.com, and the page of products and dealers, http://www.holofiber.com/wheretobuy.php. If you scroll to the bottom of the list, Wickers America has glove liners. Good luck!

OH, interesting! And not a ton more than I'm willing to pay for a pair of good wool socks. (well, ideally I'd like TWO pair for that price but beginning to relent and realize I've probably got to work some OT and *inevest* in true warmth... )

Thanks for that link!

The socks have replaced my woolen socks when I wear winter boots. They are lighter, keep my feet warm and dry. Compared to these, woolen socks are over-rated.

Have you tried the toasty toes? the little heater packs that stick to the inside of yoru shoe to keep your feet warm. They are largerly marketed to hunters but a great for farm work in the frigid weather.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

I've started a thread complaining about my chilblains - these socks seem to be just what I need. I do love the Smartwool socks, though. My feet always feel dry. No more cotton socks or cheapies for me.

For your hands: you need neoprene gloves. More specifically, neoprene lined with fleece. I had a pair one winter and they are WARM...almost too warm. I was not at all bothered by my Raynauds that year. They are a bit too heavy to ride in, but are awesome for barn work.

ETA: mine looked just about like this. Kayaking/canoeing stores also carry neoprene gloves that you might want to check out.
    Last edited by Simkie; Dec. 21, 2008 at 10:28 PM.

I also have Raynaud's, and know a few people that do as well. Some have had good result with acupuncture. I have not tried it myself, but it would be worth looking into it.

Default Hay

Did you ever try the paper towels on your feet?

For all, I too had frost bite in my feet and I now I wrap a paper towel around my toes like making my toes into a ghost at halloween. Then I put my socks on. Keeps my feet pretty toasty. SOmetimes I have to change the towel out in the middle of the day but it does help alot.

Have you had your thyroid checked in regards to being so cold?
    Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
    One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
    Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook

Default Hay

Wanted to add another thing that my father and brother do when working around the farm to keep their hands warm. They use those surgical gloves, you know the little thin ones that a doctor would use underneath their regular gloves or the ones we should all use when we're cleaning sheaths but don't. They swear by this as an under layer and can take their outer gloves off to work on something and still be warm.
    Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
    One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
    Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook