The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default TBs, SB and others may ship to slaughter

Check out www.ac4h.com and click on the broker horses. The TBs and the SB are apparently being sent to slaughter this weekend unless they get private homes. AC4H is full and doesn't have room.

Oh NO! I'm so sick of this, these horses need some protection.

I can find you alot more cows that need protection.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

Quote Originally Posted by county View Post
    Well, if you can guarantee that those cows are broke to ride and/or drive, you might have some people interested here!

I really like the looks of Northern Alert. Seems like a guy who's won nearly a quarter of a million dollars deserves a chance.

NOT to say that the others don't; I'm sure there are people who would LOVE to give them homes. Unfortunately, in these economic times, people are being a lot more cautious with their finances.

I'm very lucky in that I have a secure job (LOTS of seniority), and it pays well for what it is and where I live. However, it does NOT entail me being able to afford a second horse.

I hope that those who are able to snap up some of these VERY NICE horses do so---SOON!

Broke to ride and drive? Lots of livestock isn't including horses so your idea of animals that should be protected are only those broke to ride and drive? Personally I feel all animals are equal when it comes tp protection.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

COUNTY: You seem to miss the point that this is a HORSE FORUM. Your argument doesn't fit this demographic... Surely, even YOU can't miss that point entirely??

Quote Originally Posted by lolalola View Post
    The TBs and the SB are apparently being sent to slaughter this weekend unless they get private homes.
    According to the web site, it says these horses are in danger of being sent to AUCTION, not directly to slaughter. I understand that going to slaughter is a danger of horses that are run through an auction, but I don't think it's right to make it sound like these horses are being sent directly.

According to the AC4H site, broker owned horses are not owned by the rescue. They (the rescue) " ... have taken a pro-active, preventative approach by listing these horses in hopes of assisting them out of the auction arena and into a home." This is a wonderful service for them to provide - but it doesn't mean that somone should jump to the conclusion that all broker horses are in danger.

Please don't get me wrong, I'd love to see all of these horses get a good home. I just think these horses already have a better chance than the ones that are being abandoned, or the ones from farms where they are being neglected and abused.
    ~ A true friend knows all there is to know about you and still likes you. -E. Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by Mia412 View Post
    This is a wonderful service for them to provide - but it doesn't mean that somone should jump to the conclusion that all broker horses are in danger.
    This broker buys many of them out of the kill pen to try to resell them elsewhere. If they sell, great. If not, they go back to the auction where they will most suredly go to slaughter. Some of them have federal stickers on them already.

Default Sigh...

Almost all of the horses on the AC4H broker pages were going straight to slaughter on Monday. A few of them had a bit more time. In this case, a anonymous donor has provided almost all of the bail money to keep this group from shipping but they are in need of homes. If anyone is interested in these horses, AC4H would love to hear from you. Otherwise, please stop beating up the messenger. Jingling for good homes for the horses.

My understanding is that the ones with an asterisk on page 1 and all of the horses on page 2 were actually going to go directly onto the slaughter truck and that short of $2K, an anonymous donor has rescued all of them and that there will not be another truck before the end of this year from this particular kill buyer. However, as traceyinojai said, they still need homes.

And, the others are in danger of going to auction.

Sounds like a marketing ploy or maybe blackmail ... buy my horses or I'll send them to slaughter.

Sorta near the Devon Horse Show grounds...

They will be sent to auction. There are precious few private buyers out there, currently, due to market conditions- like the economy.

If anyone can spare a few pence, the funds can be Paypalled to AC4H, and will look darn fancy on your taxes for 2008. Please take a look, and spare a thought for a horse in need.
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE them- Maya Angelou
    www.americansaddlebredsporthorse.net
    http://www.asbsporthorse.blogspot.com/

I have been to NH more than enough times to see the horses that go thru auction purchased by the kbs and then loaded onto the trucks. You never forget the clanging of the hooves trust me. Good for AC4H that they take a proactive approach. Most of the prices are in line with what goes on at NH. It does look like a Christmas miracle for some of those horses. I love that grey tb. She looks so kind.

Default Flame away

Ok, I'm evil, clearly a bad person, but honestly, there are countless young, perfectly sound, well trained animals out there looking for homes. Far, far too many to place them all. If people would stop overbreeding, then we wouldn't have this problem, but we do. Some of them are going to end up slaughtered. Would you prefer that they end up starving to death in some muddy back field instead? Because as much as we might think that the alternative to slaughter is humane euthanasia, for the majority of the people out there who have to make that choice slaughter vs. dying in muddy field are the two options. The hundreds it costs for euthanasia just isn't practical. People who tend to be able to have the extra cash to put down a horse tend to own horses that are salable to non-kill buyers. That's just the reality.

If these horses find homes, great. If they go to slaughter, well, I'd prefer the truck and all its unpleasantness to a slow, agonizing death being starved to death.

I bought an unbroke 3 year old registered mare out of a slaughter pen at an auction a couple of months ago (for $220--over what my boyfriend had said he'd pay for her, but I really wanted her). Lovely, lovely mare... gorgeous color, nicely put together, to-die-for dressage movement with cutter or jumper turns automatic. You can find nice horses there and I am glad she didn't end up French steak, but the truth of the matter is her breeder made 30 just like her and couldn't support them or sell them... I bought mine and then watched all the rest get sold to the killer. Maybe if they had been more responsible and bred one or two or NO BABIES, she would not have ended up there in the first place, and all her breathren wouldn't be food right now.

The villain in this situation isn't the slaughter industry that is just filling a demand for product--it's the people who breed thinking that dear Dobbin's baby would never end up at slaughter, never ever, despite its roach back, cow hocks, and club foot, or the TB breeders who breed in volume hoping to hit the lottery, knowing they can always send the extras to be eaten, or the people who plain don't care where their horses end up. Fixing this is about realizing that we need to stop breeding crappy and ok horses, and breed only nice horses so that there is no slaughter market because all the horses are wanted. If you're concerned about how high that would drive prices, well, you have to make a choice: have a slaughter market and have horses with low prices, or don't have one and have to save up to buy a nice horse. You can't have it both ways.
    Lark B
    socialwstudent@gmail.com
    _________

Quote Originally Posted by county View Post
    From you, County?
    I keep hoping that when I explain that most of us see horses as companions and workmates and not a source of protein, that it might start making sense. I can only hope.
    DEE
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

The black and white mare... plus the dark liver or bay ASB mare on the same page... I'd take either of them in a heartbeat, but don't have the bail... Those prices are cheap, but not *meat*.

InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

OMG, I want that Molly Mule!!!
    '98 Elbader (GB) - JC Thoroughbred Gelding
    '10 Dolce Latte G - Thoroughbred Filly
    '11 Machiatto G - Thoroughbred Colt

Default Pintopiaffe

I think the bail was already raised for many of them through the donations mentioned earlier. If that is all that is stopping you, you may have a problem (or a new horse!)

AC4H is reputable. They are, at least, doing what they can in these very hard times, so kudos to them. I only hope they can find homes for these horses. It is not the fault of these horses that they were bred, so I am very glad that some humans are trying to take responsibility for their lives.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

For those of you who are serious about wanting these horses, and are serious about the bail being the only thing stopping you....

....due to an anonymous donation, most of the bail is paid for these horses. Now they just need homes! So contact someone, and get those ponies into some warm stalls by Christmas. Shipping, no matter where you are, is very reasonable. I paid just a tiny bit over $200 to get my guy from PA to MA.