The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Green Monkey standing for $ 5,000

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

"World Record Holder"

Who do they think they are fooling?
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

Should be $500

sad to say it but this ooooooooold news - the 'Monkey' was followed here for some time

Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerglass View Post
    sad to say it but this ooooooooold news - the 'Monkey' was followed here for some time
    That's what I was thinking. We discussed the months ago. Did they just release an ad or something?

Seems you guys are way ahead of me, LOL.

I just received the Bloodhorse Stallion book for 2009, first I had seen it.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

regardless; hes a gorgeous looking horse

He still looks like a quarter horse. Blech.

Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl88 View Post
    regardless; hes a gorgeous looking horse
    I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think he's long backed, downhill, and even though his neck is a nice width and is set high out of his shoulder (which I like) it's too short.

Ok, I'm bored and Romo just threw an interception so let me go see what else I can criticize.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Right front knee is terrible - tied in badly.
    Last edited by Dinah-do; Dec. 20, 2008 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Typo

I was reading in the news section of their website that they are building a barn just for him because they think lots of people will want to come and see him. Give me a break. I also saw they kept talking about all his injuries, who would want to bred to something that was always hurt and in pain.

His conformation is terrible. I bet the Sheik is glad he didn't spend his money on him after all.

Compare his conformation photos with that of Full Mandate or Omega Code on the same website. He looks pretty awful. Those other two look lovely. Really a nice topline and balanced looking.
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    That's what I was thinking. We discussed the months ago. Did they just release an ad or something?
    Well breeding season is rapidly upon us so they are publishing the ad everywhere. The horse never went lame either he was a terrible sulker. Maybe not the horses fault who knows the start he got but still not good. I can't believe they didn't GELD him.

I saw him at H/D last week. I was not impressed. He wasn't bad looking, but he wasn't $16M stellar either. If I had to choose a horse to breed to at that farm, it'd be City Place. I thought he was their nicest stallion overall. Belgravia did not impress either (for those who might be curious).

Perhaps he should be the teaser.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

yes, I too beg to differ on the conformation. At least based on that picture, he's have to be one hell of a runner in both winnings and starts to give that look a try.

Maybe the picture lies, but if it does, it lies in a lot of ways. And I'm thinking HDR knows a thing or two about setting up a stallion prospect for a photo shoot. Woof, woof! Who let the dogs out? ;D

Las Olas - and City Place's dam and grand dam were not known for their stellar conformation, just their gritty determination to win and no small talent in producing winners with that instinct. I like City Place, he's not perfect, but he sure looks like a much better value for $5000!
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    Maybe the picture lies, but if it does, it lies in a lot of ways. And I'm thinking HDR knows a thing or two about setting up a stallion prospect for a photo shoot. Woof, woof! Who let the dogs out? ;D
    Snobbington Hunt clique - Whoopee Wagon Fieldmaster
    Bostonians, join us at- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Boston_Equestrian
    NYC Equestrians- http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/urbanequestrian/

He looks like a typical Storm Cat. They all look like quarterhorses because they are all sprint bred.

If you don't like his looks, then you probably don't like the looks of Storm Cats in general.

Pity the poor sucker who paid 16 million for him in 06 though

Yes, $500. sounds about right.

Talking

I differ with Blue Domino. Not sure if you've seen The Green Monkey, but I sold plenty of Storm Cat offspring and I don't think he's that ypical. That's the problem. If he were more typical, I would probably find him more appealing. IMO he has more that the standard allotment of Storm Cat conformational faults. He has some of Storm Cat's, Unbridled's and Valid Appeal's faults.

Having said that, I don't think he's a horrible individual, and he has the pedigree for a potential sire. I am just having a hard time seeing a $16M price tag (or a $5k stud fee). I think they had to stand for $5k because that is the 'taboo' level for Florida. They will ceratinly be dealing on that fee.

Anyone else really like Full Mandate? I actually think he's the nicest stallion of the group.
    The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears. ~ Arabian Proverb