The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Snowmageddon?

That's what Yahoo! Canada is calling it.

People in Ontario, are y'all OK?

Ontario must be gettign epic snow for a nickname like that!
    Of course we have people in CT crying about the state needing to be shut down and they've already raided the stores and bought every last ounce of milk, eggs and bread yesterday and this morning...because I;m guessing when it snows one must lock themselves in their house and make a few metric tons of french toast?....and we're only getting a measly 8-10 inches or so. Heck, it's New England...it's *supposed* to snow in winter.

But I do feel for the MA folks though...out of power for days from the recent ice storm and now dumped on with snow.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Want to know where they got the term?
    From our GOVERNMENT weather reporting agency (the CDN equivalent of NOAA)....here in Niagara, we've gotten a lot (heading toward a foot?), and now it's getting windier. Came home from work (sent home by the boss) - took me double my normal commute time. In a 4x4.
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

AHHHHH>>>>> Its CRAZY here! My boss sent me home at 12pm and it took me 3 HOURS to drive a 20 minute drive!

Complete chaos! I am NOT leaving my house until spring! I'll send the dog with a sled and a note attached to her collar to the grocery store for food!

We have snow. Lots and lots of snow. Toque weather!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

It is the white out conditions that are the problem. I don't think it's horrific otherwise. My 10 minute drive took 40 but that was mostly because we couldn't see where we were going. There were actually several people driving on the wrong side of the road as clearly they couldn't see where the on-comming lanes(me) were.

Stay home today, tomorrow... we'll keep our fingers crossed.

Ugh - I'm driving from our place in upstate NY to my dad's place in London, Ontario tomorrow or Sunday. It's going to be like crossing the tundra. Extreme conditions at either end.
    Gentleman J - "Junior" - My been-there, done-that jumper

Send Your Love - "Serena" - Aug 10th 2009, Rest in Peace

You might have a good window of opportunity if you can go fairly early tomorrow.
    Safe route,
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

I can't see out my kitchen windows!!!

last time I took the dogs out there was a 18inch drift blocking my door

is it spring yet? I think I might actually have enough preserves and stuff that I could just hibernate till April....
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

Supposedly we're being spared in Quebec from the first wave (we'll get it on Sunday) because of the influence of an Arctic high here. A mixed blessing... it's bitterly cold here. My lettuce froze tonight on the way from the supermarket to the car and I had to throw half of it out. Never had that happen before even at much colder temperatures.

Yeah it totally sucks here near Stratford too; blowing snow like mad and the horses just stayed in today. They normally live out with a shelter shed but even they have their limits and are quite happy inside today!
    You'd think I'd know better.

AQHA Clique, Pony Club Clique and Member/Co-founder of the Boot to the Head Clique! (Members NOT wanted)

Wow, this is a strange winter. I live in Palm Springs (many many Canadians winter here ) and we have TONS of snow on our mountains, much more that normal for this time of year. It's gorgeous, but, I don't have to drive in it or shovel it like you guys! It *has* be colder here the last few days than it has been in a long time, but, not even CLOSE to the cold you guys are experiencing. Hang in there and drink LOTS of hot chocolate and hang out under a nice cozy blanket and watch your favorite movies. That is what I used to do when I lived in Maryland and got snowed in.
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
    *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
    My Facebook

So I had an ICE helmet doing chores today. Anyone else? I had ear grippers on but no hat as I get hot to easily when I am working.

I went to get a load of hay from the bank barn and by the time I drove the tractor back to the barn needing hay (100 meters) I looked like I was related to barbies husband "Ken" my hair was one solid crunch mass. lol

This kind of weather drives me NUTS!! I hate being trapped indoors, and have ben restlessly roaming around the house all day. I got so agitated I went out for a walk-saw a lineup of stuck cars trying to get off one of the sidestreets, and a couple sports cars trying to get out of their parking spots with no luck-Honestly we live in Canada, and while I realise sports cars are nice, they are very impractical. I have super good snow tires on my car and was contemplating heading out and spending the day at the farm anyways, but my mom took my car keys and hid them so I couldn't go anywhere. I hope we are plowed out tomorrow or I may actually go insane!

Quote Originally Posted by Seriously_Hunter View Post
    AHHHHH>>>>> Its CRAZY here! My boss sent me home at 12pm and it took me 3 HOURS to drive a 20 minute drive!

Good grief! That is the sort of thing that happens down here in the south.

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

Default Share the wealth.

Can you guys send some snow down south, perty please? I swear, I was born and have lived in the WRONG area of the country my entire life... and I just can't seem to get out of here.

It was 70 and raining two days ago and today it's not getting out of the lower 30's with no precip. (actually that's probably a good thing since it did rain for almost a week straight) In two days it is supposed to get back up into the upper 60's with a good chance of rain.

I WANT SNOW!!! I can't ride as it is because of all the mud, so I might as well enjoy some snow.
    Dreaming in Color

CT was out of control over the weekend. When the snow came down....the snow came down and it did so very heavily and fast. we got 10-14 on friday into saturday and another 4-8 on sunday in the hills where i live. If you didnt have 4 wheel drive...get the heck off the road because they arnt plowing the highway every hour...this is new england..and little toyotas are not designed to be on the road in such conditions....get a real car if you want to go out in weather like that...especially in new england.

People thought i was armagedon. You couldnt get near the grocery store if you wanted to...god forbid you might not have enough milk and eggs.

Here when we get heavy snow...they only plow 2 lanes on the highway....the fast lane is left alone. People where doing 60mph in the fast lane and also passing poeple and SEMI TRUCKS in the BREAKDOWN LANE....One of these people...might i add...was a floridian with a fancy truck and tow-behind trailer...dowing ungodly speeds...do you people not know how to drive in such conditions??? The snow started at 1pm when i left work. I haver a 20-30min drive home on the highway. Mind you...the snow started when i left. the 20 min ride home turned into a 2 hour ride home and there where 3 rollovers because noone could seem to come to the realization that because you drive an SUV does not mean you can stop. You have 4 WHEEL DRIVE NOT 4 WHEEL STOP!!!!!...and people in little toyotas thought they where invincible....

I tell ya- new england never lets you down.I must admit though, that although the snow is gorgeous and its wonderful to have a white chirstmas, i live on a 10 horse farm in which me and my mom take care of them... in between our busy lives, and this weather just makes this task even more difficult.

Eastern Ontario got another 18 inches yesterday

I work part time at a truckstop, and in the middle of the snowstorm someone came in to complain to the manager that there was SNOW IN THE PARKINGLOT! can you imagine?! Snow in the parking lot in the middle of a snowstorm so bad the highways were closed! .... some peoples children....
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by drmgncolor View Post
    Can you guys send some snow down south, perty please? I swear, I was born and have lived in the WRONG area of the country my entire life... and I just can't seem to get out of here.

It was 70 and raining two days ago and today it's not getting out of the lower 30's with no precip. (actually that's probably a good thing since it did rain for almost a week straight) In two days it is supposed to get back up into the upper 60's with a good chance of rain.

I WANT SNOW!!! I can't ride as it is because of all the mud, so I might as well enjoy some snow.

Me too. I'm also stuck here. Let's party!

Dear Mods,

Can we please have an OT forum on Christmas Eve so we can have a party?

I'm in Ottawa.... It's been worse.... a lot worse... It's the blowing snow that was the problem. Ottawa is part of Eastern Ontario and we sure didn't get 18 inches!!! I think for the Toronto area (4.5 or so hours away) it was worse... Really though it was just a usual snow storm. Today it was horribly cold and icy... blech