The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Ditto on the peppermint oil. Got them out of my house using dabs of peppermint oil on a folded up papertowel.

I guess mice don't like minty fresh breath.

I was at a rodent and vermin seminar in October ( I work for a local Health Department) and one of the Biologists and an exterminator told us to use Hershey's Chocolate Syrup as bait. I tried it, as my enclosed porch was overrun with the little buggers, and within about ten minutes, I had my first two victims. I put syrup on two traps and peanut butter on two, and consistently caught mice in the syrup traps, rarely in the pb traps. I caught about 15 (ugh!) over about a weeks time and haven't caught any additional for a couple of weeks now. Needless to say, I am sold on the Hershey's syrup bait.

I use those squeeze cheese cans and smear a little cheese on the bait holder.
    That never fails, they can't possibly get it off without setting the trap off.

The dog and I spent last night hearing a mouse in the wall, scratching around.
    Don't know how they get in there, a few a year and then die and smell terribly for a few days.
    The trouble is that I think they are in the place that has the wiring, going by the smell that comes out of the electric outlet and where my dog stared all night.

We don't get but a few a year in the attick and in the wall, none yet in the house.

For those with mice in the house and holes around the pipes, get some steel wool at the grocery store or hardware store and push in around the pipes and no more mice.
    Check the laundry vents and other such places.

Quote Originally Posted by carla54 View Post
    I was at a rodent and vermin seminar in October ( I work for a local Health Department) and one of the Biologists and an exterminator told us to use Hershey's Chocolate Syrup as bait. I tried it, as my enclosed porch was overrun with the little buggers, and within about ten minutes, I had my first two victims. I put syrup on two traps and peanut butter on two, and consistently caught mice in the syrup traps, rarely in the pb traps. I caught about 15 (ugh!) over about a weeks time and haven't caught any additional for a couple of weeks now. Needless to say, I am sold on the Hershey's syrup bait.

I will NOT, NOT, NOT share my chocolate with a bunch of damn MICE!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Beasmom View Post
    Auventera, I'd take that whole freezer away and bury it. I agree that you are doing those mice no favor, with them (in)breeding indiscriminately, no way out, eating their young, etc., etc.

Nasty, just nasty.
    Oh I agree, it's nasty! I've been agonizing over what to do with them! I admit to leaving the freezer door open, and putting the barn cat in the feed room for the night. The next morning I found about 10 dead bodies. I've done this a few nights, and their numbers are probably 1/3 what they were. But she seems to have now lost interest. I think I'm going to poison the rest of them because honestly I don't want to deal with them for another 4 months until spring.

Good for you! Now you're talking sense.

Take an empty metal garbage can, put a couple of handfuls of grain in the bottom...put garbage can wherever your rodent problem is. (Leave lid off.) Rodents will jump in can to eat grain and can't get out. Once you have the rodent trapped in the garbage can, drop barn cat in. Rodent problem solved...

Default More Chapters to the Orig. Story...

Well as you know - the mouse on the sticky trap died...as did his brother who was caught the very next day. Every thing was quiet for about 3 days and then it was back....that smell. I am very sensitive to bad odors...(so why OH why did I want to live above our barn???) I knew there was another mouse by the musty smell. Day after day it was getting worse..but day after day there was no more mice on the sticky traps and the bait was still there too. By day 3 - I could not stand it anymore, so I started to reclean (for about the millionth time!) my pantry. Looking down at the floor, there was the old mouse hotel I had set up weeks ago. I picked it up and it was a bit heavier than I remembered. The closer I got to it...there it was - that horrific smell hit me like a slap in the face! I ran down stairs to dispose of the smell maker at once!

The next several days were event free. I was so thankful too because we were expecting quite a few people over for Christmas Eve dinner! In fact so many days had past, I had almost forgotten that there were still 2 sticky traps in the pantry. Christmas morning, I awoke to feed the animals. The moment I was done, I went back to bed.
    "SLAP - SLAP - SLAP!!"
    The sound jolted me out of a deep sleep.
    "SLAP - SLAP - SLAP"
    I looked over at Don and his eyes were wide open too. I threw back the covers and ran out into the kitchen ...only to find our Corgi had a sticky trap on her front foot! I must have left the pantry door open and she found the cheese bait, ate it and in the process stepped onto the trap!
    We had to lay her down and pull - with all of our might - to get that thing off of her foot. She was none too happy about it either, thinking we were trying to remove her nails instead of trimming them (which she HATES!) In a comic like fashion, the glue stretched way out before it finally broke loose and even then, her foot still stuck to the wood floor! Thank you so much to the poster who advised that veggie oil removes this substance! That is the only way I was able to remove it from the floor!! As for Chrissy - our dog, we had to put a small piece of paper towel on her paw to keep her from tracking it all over the house!

Default The best solution for mice

Get a few live-catch traps. These little box traps are very easy to set up and bait and are very effective. The mice enter the trap, the door snaps shut, and the mouse is captured unharmed. Then you just take the trap outdoors, preferably far from your home, and let the little critter go. They are humane and don't involve little dead bodies! A lot of damage can be done by just one or a few mice, and they can be so easily removed by this method.

I confess to a fondness for mice--they are cute and don't mean any harm. But I agree that they belong outside and can be really annoying when they move in to your house.

Well I went to the grocery store and armed the house with plain old fashioned traps and Pnut butter, sticky traps and bought the things you plug in that are supposed to scare them off with the sound. Is it normal for ME to be able to hear them?? SO far we've caught one a night in the laundry room with the old fashioned traps. THe first one we found after coming home from a Xmas eve party late, so my husband threw the whole thing including dead mouse in the back of a truck, next day, mouse and trap are gone. *shock* some random cat had a great Xmas eve dinner, hee.
    http://www.blackberryhill.webs.com/

Sometimes you have to put your foot down to get a leg up!

Tamsin, that's very sweet that you like mice and all, but live trapping and turning them out only gives them an opportunity to enter someone ELSE's house or barn.

I boarded at a place with a soft-hearted BM. Her apartment (in the barn) had been renovated, but in the process, a horde of mice invaded the place. She was finding mice in and on her brand new quilt in the guest bedroom. Mice were using her windowsills as highways. In the barn, we had mice nesting under the stall mats and under the storage bins. They ran back and forth across the barn aisle right at our feet.

I suggested a barn cat -- she hates cats because they eat birds, so no go. She tried those sonic rodent repellents; the mice were not bothered in the least. She tried the live traps and claimed she was taking the mice far, far away, and indeed she may have been doing so, but the mouse population merrily reproduced faster than she could empty her live traps.

Things finally got so bad she conceded defeat and hired an exterminator. Problem solved. Geez, it's not like mice are an endangered species or anything.

Equusvilla, loved the corgi w. sticky trap story!

Quote Originally Posted by Beasmom View Post

Equusvilla, loved the corgi w. sticky trap story!

Dittoing that. The perfect denouement to the mousey woes.

Great thread here!!!

-- mouse phobic, but no funny or gruesome stories to share...

Years ago found two things that worked.
    1. Tin Cat - for the smaller ones - it is like a metal box maze - place bait - ie peanut or such in there - the mouse enters - cannot get out. Then one must decide what to do with live mouse.
    2. Regular traps - repeated stealing of bait - no mouse. Finally took a whole peanut ie in shell - and sewed it to the trap - within hours one less mouse.

Did not see mice for years - now they are back. The bad thing is when they chew wires and knock our your A/C.

One winter in our Quonset barn, the mice ate the whole insulation in our wiring harness off our 1954 grain truck, from the gauges to the tail lights.

Took us several hours to replace it all and run the mice off the seat, that they had made mouse central.

With the threat of Hanta virus and other diseases mice and their fleas carry, plus the direct damage they do, we really need to try to keep them off the places humans live and store stuff.
    A truce is not in our best interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Auventera Two View Post
    Awwwwwwwwwww

So now I'm running a mouse farm until spring when I can turn them loose in the woods.

Since you are running a Mouse Rescue I have at least 12 cute, cuddley little barn mice (and a couple garage mice) available to you immediately.

Note to self: catch mice and send to the Mouse Rescue asap.

Quote Originally Posted by carla54 View Post
    INeedless to say, I am sold on the Hershey's syrup bait.
    Hmm... I am going to try that! Fortunately my mouse problem is in the garage and barn.

Did find a little poo evidence one day in the house a while ago - next to the cat food bowl of all places!! I guess my cat has decided she is too old to fool with mousing.

The farm mutts do get the garage mice if they are foolish enough to come out.

We buy a 1 ton bail of hay every now and then, and we keep it on pallets in the back corner of our barn. Our horses just finished it, so me and mum were sweeping up all the leftover bits, and cleaning the pallets, which involves lifting them up. I swear, our whole towns population of mice live in our hay!

It was DISGUSTING! Our German Shepherd had a good time chasing them all over the field though. But we knew they were getting out of control, when we had our first snake (baby yellow belly black) come out of the barn when we went to feed up. And if there is 1 baby, there is likely to be a mum, dad and siblings around somewhere.

We had an infestation in our house when we moved in, and used traditional traps. My dog ended up CHASING a mouse into the trap. She took off after it, and it wasnt watching where it was going, and BANG! it was gone. Zara brought it out and was quite pleased with herself.

Then, we had a family of mice living under dads office, which is a shipping container across the yard. We put out traditional traps, and they didnt work. So we put out the sticky boards, and they didnt go anywhere near them. SO, we got poison baits. Dad put one down next to the fridge, turned, walked to his chair, sat down, and there was a mouse trying to drag the bait under the door.

The poison caused problems for us though. Because it was winter, the mice decided the fridge motor was a cosy place to be, and they died in front of the cooling fan, spreading the smell of their rotting-ness around the office.

Took us ages to find it.

And apparently there are rats around here now that has kitten faces. My aunty saw one in her barn, and said it had a rats body, and a kittens head.

Was quite strange =S

Quote Originally Posted by Auventera Two View Post
    Oh I agree, it's nasty! I've been agonizing over what to do with them! I admit to leaving the freezer door open, and putting the barn cat in the feed room for the night. The next morning I found about 10 dead bodies. I've done this a few nights, and their numbers are probably 1/3 what they were. But she seems to have now lost interest. I think I'm going to poison the rest of them because honestly I don't want to deal with them for another 4 months until spring.
    A friend of mine had an old top load washing machine in her barn. When she went to wash the cotton rugs, there was HUNDREDS of mice. So, she grabbed the cat, stuck him in, shut the lid, and within an hour, all the little bast*rds were dead =]