The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    You do realize that they will all be back next winter with their offspring to live on the bounty of your farm?
    Ok, then you'll be receiving a priority shipment by next Tuesday! Be sure to open it quickly, as the contents are temperature sensitive, and will be thirsty!

That'll teach you to put your address on your website! LMAO!!!

Thank God I am not alone. I am HORRIFIED with mice in my house right now. I know exactly where they are getting in, dryer vent and tomorrow we are putting a metal screen there..........but one in particular has brass balls and I want it DEAD. Like clockwork every evening it runs from the couch to behind the entertainment center. After we put up the Xmas tree and made his little Poo corner exposed, now he goes from couch to entertainment center then OVER the Xmas presents and UNDER THE COUCH I AM LAYING ON............bastard. Scares me to death, I have peppermint oil everywhere but don't have the cajones to trap and kill them. I DO NOT want to deal or even look at a dead/dying mouse.

And the SMELL, uhghghghghg my laundry room reeks. Thank God for our maids.
    http://www.blackberryhill.webs.com/

Sometimes you have to put your foot down to get a leg up!

Talking

Okay - so now I do not feel so bad! I thought I was maybe the only one with this problem. I love having a nice clean house...and somehow - little mice running and pooping and chewing into my food just does not fit into that picture!

Quote Originally Posted by Auventera Two View Post
    Ok, then you'll be receiving a priority shipment by next Tuesday! Be sure to open it quickly, as the contents are temperature sensitive, and will be thirsty!

That'll teach you to put your address on your website! LMAO!!!
    Don't send them here. They will be eaten by barn cats or JRT's! You wouldn't want any harm to come to them would you?

I never knew if my house cats would catch or kill mice, until I found a present in one of my shoes one day. Thank God I looked before I stuck my foot in.

My JRT, however, has his Master Mouser's license. I was absolutely overrun last year. The horrible little creatures completely invaded my garage. The dog food and the horse feed are all in very tight containers, but the mice came in anyway. They couldn't get into the feed, but they shredded all kinds of stuff, made nests, did the nasty and produced tons of baby mice. They would talk to each other across the garage. I finally told Winston, enough is enough - KILL the little ba$tard$!!!!

He went crazy. He pointed them out like a pointer when they tried to hide under his dog house. When he pointed, I had to quickly pull out the dog house and he would snap them up. Once he got 5 - one right after the other. He has an assistant, Frisbee - a northern dog cross from the pound. She's good, but not at all in Winston's league. She does help him, though. If one gets away and runs towards her, she will snap him up. Her brother and the other 2 dogs are absolutely useless!!

I hate them meeces to pieces. A ramp into a trash barrell with about 6 inches of water with oats floating on top works well, too. I have NEVER had any luck with my Rat Zapper, and now also no luck with the new electronic rat zapper that looks like a country mailbox. Bait gone, no dead rat. I finally resorted to poison and stuffed it deep down the ratholes with a long stick.

I hate them meeces and rats to pieces!!!!!

I had 2 of my cats with me in Germany when I was in the Army. They used to go out into the fields and bring back giant, grandfather mice (not rats, but huge mice). They would lay them out for me - BUT - they also would jump up onto the back porch and mrow in a funny voice to come in. I found out the funny mrow, instead of a loud meow, meant they had live mice in their mouths. They used to bring them in and then proceed to torture them and play 'chase' with them. They would finally get tired of the game and kill them. The neighbors LOVED them. They rid the fields of mice!
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

Years ago we had a typical softy Labrador/Golden cross who never hurt anything in her life until----one day we came home and the next door neighbor (male) met us in the driveway and was virtually hysterical. A rat ran out of his compost pile and into our backyard, and Buffy played with it for hours until she killed it, she then proceeded to walk around with it in her mouth with the idiot next door trying to coax her over to the fence to give it to him. When he told my dad this, dad walked in the yard, grabbed it out of her mouth and disposed of it. Buffy looked so disappointed about the loss of her pet. (The neighbor could have stood there for days waiting for her to drop anything-she would fetch but wouldn't give anything up).

My parents had mice in the attic and the final straw was the night that the mice were apparently starting a volleyball league up there-you could hear them charging around on the attic floor. When there are that many they don't care about bait, they just run right into the traps--I think there were seven or eight dead ones in traps the next day.

If you get the spring traps use rat traps not mouse size.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I hate mice. And I have a phobia of dead bodies. So yeah Daydream Believer gets to dispose of the bodies. I think they've learned that my apartment is a death room I haven't really seen any. Maybe one every couple of days and my vicious dog isn't hiding anymore My poor dog (chow/shep mix) is scared of the mice.
    The electric mouse trap always worked great. There's like 2 or 3 lil turns in there so the mouse once it gets to the end and get electrocuted it is a lot harder to run back. My dad said he got it at Rite Aid for $20.

AV2...when you relocate those mice...drive them somewhere far, far away. Do not touch them. And when you empty whatever is left in that freezer, triple bag it and use a HazMat suit. Then I'd personally throw that freezer out. Or you can bleach, bleach, bleach it and then soak it in bleach. The amount of diseases breeding in an enclosed inbred environment will be astronomical. It most likely started out with one already pregnant female, not two opposite gender mice. Those will be a controlled colony of excessively inbred mice...in a sealed environment who cannot get away from their own feces and urine.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

H.Morgan Guest

Default Riddex plus!!

This fall for the first time I started seeing mice in my feed room, I HATE trap's and worried about poison so I cleaned the feed room, made sure all feed was closed up and put a cat bed in there, still had mice. I was shopping at bed bath and beyond and in the "as seen on TV" section I saw riddex plus spent $15 on it and after a week didn't see any more mice or droppings!! I got it back in September.

Riddex plus is a plug in "digital pulse technology" it's suppose to work by sending a pulse in the wiring and get rid of mice, rats, and insects I have no clue if it will work on insects but for $15 to get rid of the mice I'm very happy.

I used an electronic rodent deterrent at a duplex that I rent out, and mice left. Maybe a couple of those would work.

Has anyone else ever called the ppl at D-Con and spoke with them. I did yrs ago. I had a bunch of mice around, the cats weren't eating them, and I wanted to put down D-Con but didn't want any harm to come to my cats, dogs,peafowl or pheasants.

They had me speak to their vet, anyway they said he was, he seemed very knowledgeable. He told me to put the poison in spots where the animals could not themselves get into it and not to worry. He said by the time the rodent is killed by the warfarin that it is not any longer a danger to the animals, that once it is digested by the mouse it is no longer able to act the same in another animal who possibly could eat the mouse. Apparently it breaks down and is no longer active. Also said the amount a mouse eats is not dangerous to a cat or dog. I don't know if he was right or not but I've been using it now for 15 yrs since I talked with him and harm has come to not one other animal and we are free of rodents. I called the 800 # on the box.

However, this is just for that brand. I had a landlord once who brillantly gutted a house where the ppl lived like hogs and he buried the garbage in the back yard in this huge pit he dug. I was unaware of this when we moved in. It was also right by a large creek just up from a river which will also draw river rats. These rats were getting run over in front of the houise and the kids hated waiting for the bus with them dead in the road. Landlord came and threw down bar bait and within three days all my peafowl and pheasants were dead and we found dead mice in their guts when I took them dead up to the vet where I worked.

Quick mouse story. AS kids growing up in my moms nursing home we lived in a 22 room old victorian house which was a mouses dream. We had an old Hoosier cupboard. The bread drawer had a gap at the very front of it where the drawer bottom met the drawer front. Like a inch or so gap, don't know why. My sister opened the drawer and there were two mice in there. They started running to the front of the drawer, she screamed and slammed the drawer shut. Looking at the closed drawer from the outside there were two little mouse heads sticking out. They had both ran for that gap and then were almost decapitated when she slammed it shut. Very effective but one of those once in a lifetime things.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    AV2...when you relocate those mice...drive them somewhere far, far away. Do not touch them. And when you empty whatever is left in that freezer, triple bag it and use a HazMat suit. Then I'd personally throw that freezer out. Or you can bleach, bleach, bleach it and then soak it in bleach. The amount of diseases breeding in an enclosed inbred environment will be astronomical. It most likely started out with one already pregnant female, not two opposite gender mice. Those will be a controlled colony of excessively inbred mice...in a sealed environment who cannot get away from their own feces and urine.

Ewwwww. gross.

I am not currently dealing with a mouse problem (thank you JRT), so I am able to laugh my head off at these stories. I feel for ya, really, but these are hilarious!!
    "Imma snap youuuu! - with a shout out to Wildlifer

Yup...the Hantavirus is a real concern.

http://www.dhpe.org/infect/hanta.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hantavirus

My most successful mouse-trap bait has been popcorn (popped, not the raw kernels).

I hate killing things just to be killing them, so I always drag the dead mice down to the barn to give to the cats.

Though I'm hoping that in my new living situation, starting in a mouse-free enviroment, I can KEEP it that way...

Also, "catch and release" mice WILL find their way back in.

Quote Originally Posted by Auventera Two View Post

I started noticing hulls on top of the grain and got very suspicious. So I started scooping the grain out. After about 2 scoops, mice were running EVERYWHERE. I swear to god there is more than 100 mice in my grain bin!!!!!

Well, obviously I cannot feed that grain! So I went and bought new, and put it into rubbermaid tubs with lids. It's the dead of winter here and we have 14" of snow on the ground. I cannot just free them in the woods, they'll die! So I put a water dish in there, and I clean it and refill it every day.

My husband told me to just drop a smoke bomb in there and shut the lid, come back in a few hours and scoop out all the grain and the dead bodies, and chuck it all on the compost pile.

Oh SURE. A mouse holocaust. Like THAT won't haunt me for the rest of my life.

So now I'm running a mouse farm until spring when I can turn them loose in the woods.
    HOLIDAY STEW

First make sure you have the most freshest of ingredients.

Make sure the tails and feet are removed. Also make sure they don't have any "innards" left and ensure they are properly skinned.

With a large pot slice fresh vegetables including potatoes,carrots,peas, beans and whatever other veggies you like. Since the meat ingredient will be a bit lean and small I would suggest a good bone from an old roast. I use the store bought gravy to save time.

Stir constantly and after about 45 minutes on a medium heat add the mice bits. It usually requires about 50 mice to make up enough meat.

Stir for about another 30 minutes and serve.

Indeed. They'll also start eating eachother when the population reaches a certain point (if they haven't already).

D-Con 'em. You aren't being kind to them.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Freedom~ View Post
    HOLIDAY STEW

Make sure the tails and feet are removed. Also make sure they don't have any "innards" left and ensure they are properly skinned.

With a large pot slice fresh vegetables including potatoes,carrots,peas, beans and whatever other veggies you like. Since the meat ingredient will be a bit lean and small I would suggest a good bone from an old roast. I use the store bought gravy to save time.

Stir constantly and after about 45 minutes on a medium heat add the mice bits. It usually requires about 50 mice to make up enough meat.

In the book "Never Cry Wolf", there is a recipe for creamed mouse. The author claimes to have taken to eating mice as an experiment to see if a relatively large animal (like a wolf) could actually survive eating mice, since that was about all he ever saw his study subjects eating when common wisdom was that wolves killed moose, caribou, whatever, by the thousands.

After starting with skinned and gutted mice, and finding himself craving fat, he concluded his exeriment was flawed because of course, wolves ate the WHOLE mouse. He rectified that omission and carried on. To the conclusion that yes, wolves probably could most certainly survive, even thrive, eating mice.

HOLIDAY STEW

That just sounds so yummy.

Auventera, I'd take that whole freezer away and bury it. I agree that you are doing those mice no favor, with them (in)breeding indiscriminately, no way out, eating their young, etc., etc.

Nasty, just nasty.