The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I didn't see any improvement in my dog until we'd finished the complete loading dose. Since then it's obvious when he needs another shot- around every 2 weeks. We gave the loading dose IM, but then switched to sub-q recently and it seems to work just as well sub-q and the shots are much less unpleasant for the dog. In fact, he barely seems to notice he's been jabbed.
    I don't think it's totally safe to give the equine version- those vials are packaged for single-use only and don't have any preservatives, so they could get contaminated if you're taking multiple doses from the same vial.

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    I didn't see any improvement in my dog until we'd finished the complete loading dose. Since then it's obvious when he needs another shot- around every 2 weeks. We gave the loading dose IM, but then switched to sub-q recently and it seems to work just as well sub-q and the shots are much less unpleasant for the dog. In fact, he barely seems to notice he's been jabbed.
    I don't think it's totally safe to give the equine version- those vials are packaged for single-use only and don't have any preservatives, so they could get contaminated if you're taking multiple doses from the same vial.
    Thank you for sharing your experience with me; it helps me know what to expect.

FWIW, my small-animal vet will be giving the injections of the canine version of Adequan at her clinic each time. I work at a human hospital. I'm well aware of the dangers of off-label use.

OK you said 1.2 ccs but how many milligrams? I have a Rotty that needs it and I'm gonna try to get my vet to give me a script. I'm a nurse and can give the shots myself!

My vet wants to charge $40/shot. That seems a bit high when the 5cc vials are about $50, What do you think? I agree, without preservatives, the vial could be contaminated.
    Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post

Quote Originally Posted by afjkyle View Post
    My vet wants to charge $40/shot. That seems a bit high when the 5cc vials are about $50, What do you think? I agree, without preservatives, the vial could be contaminated.
    Yes my vet was surprised when I told him the dog version was more expensive than the horse version, but I feel better using the dog version since it is made for multiple doses. He sold me the two vial pack for $165, told him if it works I will be getting it from Smartpak ($110), he was good with that, realized it is expensive.

Just started my girl, 14 yr Lab, on it this week, glad to know I'm not crazy at thinking I already see some improvement, both in her stiffness and her attitude.
    "They spend 11 months stuggling to live, and 25 years trying to die" my farrier

"They are dangerous on both ends and crafty in the middle"

We put my 12 year old lab/aussie mix on canine Adequan a year ago and it has worked wonders. Didn't have time to read everyone's posts but he weighs about 65 pounds and was on 1.3cc 2x a week for a month, then 1.3cc once a month. He definitely feels good a few days after a new injection, especially when he goes a little longer than a month because my mom refuses to do it and makes me do it when I come home on weekends

I have a mastiff too and because of his weight (a fit 270)we use the equine version. He goes through it too fast to worry about the lack of preservative and he would need several vials of the canine per shot. I did the loading series and give him horsey joint supplements daily, more economical for the big guys. He had great hips and elbows and at 6 looked great, until he got lymes, now has residual stiffness in left hind. Better with the adequan but not 100 percent. One more course of antibiotics and maybe try adequan again

1 members found this post helpful.