The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I just want to jump in here to help everyone understand that:

Metacam, Rimadyl, Deramaxx, Tramadol, Gabapenten (cats/horses), and others like that are PAIN RELIEVERS! These drugs minimize or mask pain and possibly reduce inflammation (depending on which one we're talking about). Some cause side effects such as GI issues or depression, spaciness, agitation, aggression, etc. Rimadyl is not recommended for labs.

Adequan is something totally different and cannot be compared to pain relievers. It provides lubrication and healing to the joint.

Use the internet to research these different products to understand how each is different.
    Laurie Higgins
    www.coreconnexxions.com

Quote Originally Posted by Twiliath View Post
    Use the internet to research these different products to understand how each is different.
    Hmmm. Sorry. Am confused. I think we get that Adequan is different. I am personally checking to see how others have fared. You have asked that we use the internet to research. Should we not talk to our vets first? Which many of us have. That's why we are here. To see how Adequan, which has been prescribed, is working.
    Member of the Standardbreds with Saddles Clique!
    LouLove - OTTB - 1992-2008...miss you my pretty red girl...
    Wilde! NEW - OTTSTB - 2004 Gelding...my heart's new journey...

Any idea if it can be used in cats?

One thing to keep in mind is that the administration of Adequan can exacerbate a bleeding problem in the animal. Make sure you have your vet on board if you may want to try Adequan on your dog.

Can anyone please recommend a vet in/near the Charleston, SC area who is familiar with Adequan?

I have been to 3 vets and none has really had an understanding of the product and how it works. I've been trying to get my dog on it for a year.

I've cehcked and all I can find is 500mg/ml vials of equine IM Adequan. The canine is 100mg/ml, which my dog would receive 1ml injection. Are you all who are using the equine Adequan dosing down you injections? Jsut wondering how you're doing it b/c I didn't see any equine vials that were 100mg/ml.

Thanks!

I tried Adequan on my big golden mix last year, and it did NOTHING whatsover to improve his hip arthritis. I was really disappointed after reading about how it was some sort of miracle cure. My vet said on some dogs it really doesn't have much, if any, effect.

I get really discouraged reading about all these "after two weeks my dog was jumping three-foot oxers" stories.

So just be warned, it doesn't work on everyone the same.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Default no miracles - more longterm preventative approach

Guin,

I had the same experience as you however my vet has recommended keeping him on it as a long-term preventative. The orthopedic surgeon suggested the same.

Both vets recommended Adequan injections over Dasuquin w/MSM, or similar supplements.

I use Adequan with the dog and Pentosan with my old horse with nasty arthritis.

My biggest Border Collie (large male, 11 yo, 52 lbs, 23" at the withers) gets 1.25cc per week and has been on Adequan for about four years now. Prior to Adequan he had developed a pronounced limp due a combination of unilateral hip arthritis and probable secondary lumbar arthritis (no fillms have ever been taken of his back). Prior to trying Adequan his orthopedist had suggested that he might eventually need surgical ablation of the nerves to the acetabulum or even hip replacement, but wanted to try Adequan first.

It took about three weeks of twice-weekly dosing to see a difference, but the limp went away and has never returned. Solo is never going to be mistaken for a young dog again, but he is not reluctant to move on out and suffers from acute episodes of joint pain much, much less frequently than he used to.
    MelanieC * Canis soloensis

Years ago, I gave adequan to my old dog. I bought it through my horse vet at the time. It was the "horse" adequan and appeared to do its job. I can't remember the dosage.

My sister just started giving her border collie adequan. I rarely hear about small animal vets who advise adequan use for some reason. She is doing the regular loading dose, but hasn't seen much improvement. Her dog might have been having issues with rimadyl.

Quote Originally Posted by abbydp View Post
    Any idea if it can be used in cats?
    One of the girls at my work has her cat on it. The cat was to the point of not moving much. I told her about it and she asked her vet. According to that conversation and what she told me is that it has not been tested on cats. It has only been tested on horses, dogs and rabbits. Her cat was so bad that they decided to try it even if it had a bad outcome. Its been about 3 months and from what I hear the cat is running around crazy but is losing its appetite. Might not be related is the cat is around 15 years old.
    Pamela Ellis

I have a 14 month old dog that has been on adequan injections for the past 4 months. We did the first 4 injections one week apart and are now doing one per month.

My dog started limping (back left leg) at 3 months old and by 4 months was not touching the ground with her leg. The vet could not find anything wrong. We started her on Recovery for dogs and within 3 days she was fine.

We started adequan after the most recent xrays showed that her kneecap is not where it is supposed to be. The purpose of it is to save her joint until it either corrects itself (her growth plates are still not closed) or until surgery happens.

I have not noticed any side effects, but have also not noticed an improvement. On Recovery, she was walking almost normaly and would only limp after a long jumpy play session with another dog. She is still the same after a few months on adequan. I'm not sure if there is no imporvement because she was as imporved as possible on Recovery or if perhaps the good that adequan is doing is inside the joing and I am just not seeing the results.

I'm having great results with Cosequin for my 8 year old doberman, but he's not perfect. Now you guys are making me wonder if we should try adequan too. Mmmm. What does it run to do a full series for a dog? 71 lb.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Our old Rottie was on Adequan for years. He had hip displaysia and hip arthritis. It kept him going comfortably for almost 2 years longer than he would have had without it. He lived to be almost 11, which is absolutely ancient for Rottweilers. We used the horse Adequan and just gave him a shot when he would start getting stiff again--usually every 3-4 weeks.

Sheila
    Sheila Zeltt
    Chestnut Run Stable & Zeltt Racing Stable
    www.Zeltt.com
    Standing "Tiz Brian" at Stud, 16.1 h bay TB by Tiznow

Just started my 9 YO Boxer girl on it. She's creaky out back (hips and legs). Noticed more "exuberance" with in a few days.
    I'm getting a bottle from the vet Friday to admin myself...not paying for 1x a week loading dose when I can do it myself.
    He suggested glucosamine. I said JUST GIMME THE GOOD STUFF.
    Dog's otherwise fantastically healthy and often forgets she isnt a pup.

I highly recommend looking into GLC Direct. I actually found it through this forum. My old dog's hips were giving out, otherwise very healthy, and I will swear to you, from my skeptical scientist heart, that that stuff added a year and a half to her life.

In fact, I just ordered the human version for myself for the cartilage tear in my knee, it was that good. My vet has even put himself on it for his own torn up knee!

I'm like you...I had my horse on it and requested it for my Boxer. He had was diagnosed with bursitis and it kept him comfortable. My dog vet wanted to give him the oral stuff and I said forget it....I'll give him the shots. We gave him 1.5cc every 3-4 weeks after the loading dose.

Quote Originally Posted by Sansena View Post
    Wait. Are you saying you use the equine product for your canine? And the vet said that's okay? THAT would make things easier..
    Yes. I used to give 1.5cc of horse Adequan to a 75 lb. Lab mix. It really helped him and worked out to be much cheaper than Adequan Canine.
    Quote Originally Posted by EquineImagined View Post
    My subconscious is a wretched insufferable beotch.

My almost 13 year old lab mix showed improvement that quickly too! He's 65 lbs, and was on 2 1.3cc doses a week for the first month, and now one 1.3cc dose a month. He does wonderfully on it, and it makes a huge difference in his quality of life. Before we started him on it, when he was 11, he was starting to get really stiff all the time and was unable to jump up on the couch and "his" recliner that he loves to sleep on. He now has no trouble jumping up on things and still goes for daily walks with no problem.

Question What was your experience like?

Good morning! I know that this is an old thread, so thank you for your forbearance.

I'd really like to know about y'all experiences with Adequan for dogs, especially for the giant breeds.

The reason why I am asking is that I'm going to start my dog on Adequan in two weeks per vet recommendation.

George is a 4 y/o, 111 lb., unregistered, neutered, male Mastiff. We got him from a rescue that had Too Many Animals. He was very ill from four different parasites and Giardia when we got him three years ago. George was born with bilateral OCD in his front elbows. Oddly enough, his hips are fine. He had elbow surgery on his left front leg. He is on prescribed daily Synovi chews. Our vet treats him in consultation with his ortho doc at the KSU vet teaching hospital. We make sure that George never has to lay (lie?) down on the floor. He has a human couch to rest on in the breezeway-doggie turnout area when we are at work and his own human couch to lay on in the house. He is very bonded to our other two shelter dogs. Our vets thinks that the Adequan will help a lot, so we're going to start the series next month.

Anywhoodle, I just wanted to hear others' experiences with the Adequan series.

Thank you all for your time!

Kind Regards,
    Amber
    Last edited by californianinkansas; Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:41 AM. Reason: typo and grammar errors.