The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Flying W View Post
    I just had my second reduction 4 weeks ago. There was a HUGE difference in recovery (different doctors, different anesthesia). For my first, 3.5 years ago, I had general anesthesia. Long, painful, messy, hard recovery.

This time I had twilight anesthesia, and no hospital stay.
    You just touched on one of my biggest fears about the surgery... general anesthesia. The one (and only) time I've been under, I had a bad reaction when I was coming to. My throat swelled up and I had trouble breathing. Not good when you're still in la-la land and not able to think clearly.

I'm glad to know there are other options!

I'm glad someone touched on this as I was wondering and considering the same thing. No matter how much weight I lose, my cup size stays the same. Even with high dollar custom bras, I still get spillage out the top or sides :\
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

What kind of surgeon did you use? A general surgeon or a plastic surgeon? I would love to have mine chopped off, but I live in an area that has little options for drs and don't want to go to the wrong one!

Quote Originally Posted by Tackpud View Post
    What kind of surgeon did you use? A general surgeon or a plastic surgeon? I would love to have mine chopped off, but I live in an area that has little options for drs and don't want to go to the wrong one!
    You should use a plastic surgeon.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

The criteria for when I had mine done in 1996 was:

1. at least a D cup
    2. dents in your shoulders from the straps
    3. they had to take at least one pound out of each breast

I was a bingo on all three, and going to one of the most fabulous plastic surgeons in Newport Beach cost me a mere $20 deductible.

They're real, and they're spectacular!

And in the meantime, may I remind one and all that Wacoal Minimizers Are Your Friend.

I think bruises on your knees should count as a criteria Or tripping over them in the shower.

I have a freind that just informed me that she is having a facial tightening procedure done during the holidays to take care of a "few wrinkles".

I told her all I have to do to make my wrinkles go away is to take my bra off and "poof" all the wrinkles are gone.
    I am trying to be the person my horse thinks I am.

Smile breast reduction

Its been 5 weeks today since my surgery. I have been very lightly riding every other day for a week. Will probably not seriously ride until Jan 1. Best thing I ever did.

Quote Originally Posted by Coreene View Post

1. at least a D cup
    2. dents in your shoulders from the straps
    3. they had to take at least one pound out of each breast

I was a bingo on all three, and going to one of the most fabulous plastic surgeons in Newport Beach cost me a mere $20 deductible.

They're real, and they're spectacular!

And in the meantime, may I remind one and all that Wacoal Minimizers Are Your Friend.
    Yes I am also a Bingo on all three here, the funny thing with the dents on the shoulders, I always thought that was normal for everyone. But then when I started paying attention more to my friends in their bathing suits I realized that they were from my boulder holders, oh lord!!

Quote Originally Posted by CJBean View Post
    Yes I am also a Bingo on all three here, the funny thing with the dents on the shoulders, I always thought that was normal for everyone. But then when I started paying attention more to my friends in their bathing suits I realized that they were from my boulder holders, oh lord!!
    I had those and also permanent chafing scars from wearing two tight sports bras for running in the Summer during the heavy heat & humidity (even my surgeon commented on that). Running with those things was ... interesting. I even ran a marathon with them. Running is so much easier now. Everything is actually. And I look better too. It's so nice to know that I can walk into a store and know that the shirts and sweaters will actually fit.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

1. at least a D cup
    Is it bad that that's the size I want to be AFTER the reduction (somewhere in the D/DD range)? lol

Except when they don't come big enough.

Do the shoulder dents go away after the load has been lightened?

I've considered the surgery for years and years, but the thing is-- for whatever reason my chest is in good proportion to the rest fo my body and doesn't appear to be that large-- people are shocked when I tell them my bra size (not that I go around broadcasting it to everyone, but when it comes up...) as they have no idea I am really that big. I can't figure out why they look "normal" sized. So although I most certainly have the back pain, rolled shoulders, dents, way too expensive bras, and clothing fit issues, I just don't know what I would look like if they were smaller-- I don't want to look out of proportion! But being able to actually "sit up" while riding might be worth it!

I have also considered a double mastectomy with reconstruction. My mother had breast cancer and my chest takes after hers. Even with self checks, I just feel like finding a lump in these big girls would be harder than if they were smaller. I don't know if insurance would cover a preventative procedure like that-- I have a feeling they would not, and that would be a reason I could not have it done. I also know I would meet resistance because of my age (under 30) and the fact I am not married-- but quite frankly that kind of reststance pisses me off-- it is my body, thank you very much.

Hometown: San Antonio, TX ; Current Location: Amarillo, TX

Quote Originally Posted by CJBean View Post
    You mean everyone doesn't have them?
    RIP Kid Gloves (Holly) 1992 TBxHanv CCI*** mare.
    http://photobucket.com/tx3dayeventer/holly
    New mare: Miss Bunny Express (Missy) 1995 AQHA Jumper mare.
    http://photobucket.com/tx3dayeventer/missy

A friend of mine had it done. She did it during the winter(end of Nov) when you are less likely to ride anyways due to weather, holidays,etc.I think she was off from riding about 2.5-3 months. She has been extremely happy that she had the procedure done. She went in as an outpatient and went home the same day. She was back at work within just a few days(desk type job).

Quote Originally Posted by equinelaw View Post
    I haven't, but I am awaiting results for a breast cancer biopsy. I am not going to die or anything, but the Drs can't understand why I am not upset if the girls have to go. I'm all for a major de-populating of my chest area.

After a certain age they sort of just become a bother
    (((HUGS))) My mom felt the same way and when she was given the option...off they went. She's not sorry.
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

I was a member of the itty bitty committee until I had my DD. Now I am Big Busty Bertha. I wanna be itty bitty again! Never thought I would ever consider a Breast reduction
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Quote Originally Posted by equinelaw View Post
    I haven't, but I am awaiting results for a breast cancer biopsy. I am not going to die or anything, but the Drs can't understand why I am not upset if the girls have to go. I'm all for a major de-populating of my chest area.

After a certain age they sort of just become a bother

{{{HUGS}}} to you. I know just what you mean. If ever I have cancer OFF THEY GO!! Not a 2nd thought to it.

Sending you healing thoughts.
    Crayola posse ~ Lazer Lemon yellow
    Take time to give...it is too short a day to be selfish. - Ben Franklin

Another "I did it, and it was the best thing I ever did" here. I had it done in '94 and the criteria was the same as Coreene's. Never looked back. I had had one child, and unfortunately couldn't breastfeed the next 2, so I kinda wish that I had waited until after the last one...but my midwife swears I would have smothered #2 because she was so tiny They told me I should be able to breastfeed but don't count on that...didn't work in my case. I had milk, just not alot.

Good luck!

When I graduated high school I was 17 and was barely fitting into a DD. I'm 5'3" and still barely fitting into my current size, and breast reduction is in my near future. I am slightly overweight, due to the fact that it's hard to exercise because a) it takes forever to get 'prepared' and b) there's a lot of weight here. I'm hoping to get this done soon so I can work on riding better in the spring.

As a teen I was always concious about being larger chested than all of my friends. I'm hoping this will be the best decision of my life good luck with yours!

I don't know about BR and riding specifically, but my cousin was back to running 8 weeks after her BR and tummy tuck.
    I rode 4 weeks after my tummy tuck with no adverse effects.

I too would highly recommend twilight anesthesia. I was under general for my tummy tuck and I felt horrible for several days. I just didn't feel like I could wake up, even though I did not take any narcotics. My throat hurt from the intubation and I coughed a lot (not something you want to do after abdominal surgery) When I had my chin implant done, I was offered twilight. Though I remember being awake and aware at several points during the procedure, I did not feel any pain and I woke up much faster and without the "hangover".
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett