The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Any Riders who have had a breast reduction?

Hi, I have been considering having a breast reduction for quite sometime now, no matter how much weight I lose my cup size never really gets smaller. I guess some would say I'm blessed but I don't feel that way

I am curious if anyone on here has had a breast reduction and how long was it before you were riding again?

I haven't, but I am awaiting results for a breast cancer biopsy. I am not going to die or anything, but the Drs can't understand why I am not upset if the girls have to go. I'm all for a major de-populating of my chest area.

After a certain age they sort of just become a bother

I'm with you on the thinking of a reduction (and lift). So I too want to hear from the folks who've had it done!
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

I had one a number of years ago. One of the best things I've ever done -- my life was misery with such huge breasts, especially being very short. I can't speak to riding as I wasn't riding at the time I had the surgery, but I do know that I was able to start running a couple of months afterward (about 8 weeks, give or take) and I was walking within a week or so. Any kind of weight or strength training waited for something like 3 months. I would say with riding, you probably won't be able to for a good while, you just have to use your arms too much and it could inhibit your recovery. Definitely discuss with the surgeon though, they all seem to have their own rules.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

I've often thought of having it done, but when it comes right down to it, I'm chicken.

I do need to lose about 20 lbs though, that would help with the shoulder pain.

Besides, those over the shoulder boulder holders get way more expensive the larger you get.

I would love to be able to buy one of those $10 jobs and it actually fit me.
    I am trying to be the person my horse thinks I am.

My friend (who was boarding with me at the time) had one done. She was supose to not ride for 4-6 weeks, but was riding 2 weeks in. she was having major back issues and riding was very hard on her. she is thrilled with the change now and is happy she did it.

I however, am not that blessed. 5'6, 104lb, and the body of about a 12yro boy so I don't think I will be in your shoes. But I will say my friend was in a lot of pain for the first week. but it got easier/she got used to it.

good luck with it!
    True love is taking their pain away and making it yours
    ~rest in peace momma (7/5/08)~
    ~rest in peace thomas (6/2/11)~

I did it about 5 years ago and it was the best thing i have ever done. my back is so much better off and my riding improved as well as i am no longer rolling my shoulders forward, and i dont slouch.

My friend just had it done and experienced fantastic results. I can't remember how long she stayed off the horses but I do know that it wasn't long at all. She is so much more comfortable now and seems very happy with the results.

Quote Originally Posted by skip_rainy_shi View Post
    I did it about 5 years ago and it was the best thing i have ever done. my back is so much better off and my riding improved as well as i am no longer rolling my shoulders forward, and i dont slouch.

I do notice that I am often slouching and rolling shoulders forward alot.

My sister had a breast reduction a few years ago and has really been encouraging me to get one as well. She said it was the best thing that she has ever done. My aunt now also just had hers reduced this week and says she is feeling pretty good about it already.

I have been going back and forth with this for quite sometime I think its just me being afraid to go through the surgery as this would be my first surgery ever in my life.

I of course had always figured I would do this during the winter months so then I could recover and not miss any of the show season.

Thanks everyone who has posted on this so far, I greatly appreciate it

Quote Originally Posted by CJBean View Post

I of course had always figured I would do this during the winter months so then I could recover and not miss any of the show season.
    And less likely to have to deal with sweat around the incisions.

I've been thinking of getting one, too. I'm rather large (even large-busted women say I'm large), but I'm not sure if I want to get it done before or after I have kids.

Quote Originally Posted by haunani View Post
    And less likely to have to deal with sweat around the incisions.

I've been thinking of getting one, too. I'm rather large (even large-busted women say I'm large), but I'm not sure if I want to get it done before or after I have kids.
    Ah yes very good point about the sweat around the incisions.

I have often thought about waiting till after I have children as many people have recommended it. But the size they are right now I would hate to see how much bigger they could get once I have a baby, yikes a roony

I have often thought about waiting till after I have children as many people have recommended it. But the size they are right now I would hate to see how much bigger they could get once I have a baby, yikes a roony
    We're in the same boat, then.

Very few bras are even made in my size and the ones I can find that are, are always in the 50's era torpedo boob style. If I were to wear one of those, they'd be lethal weapons and could likely open doors before my shadow even hit it! lol

Part of me wants to wait until after kids, so they'll be nice and perky.

Part of me just wants to get it over with now, before too much back damage is done. Also, it would likely help me be more active since my back/neck wouldn't be hurting as much.

Quite the connundrum.

Thanks everyone who has posted on this so far, I greatly appreciate it
    I would definitely recommend a Winter surgery, if you can. You'll most likely have to wear a surgical bra or a sports bra for about 8 weeks, and it's so much easier to do when you're wearing sweaters around. By the time Summer rolls around you'll be ready for tank tops!
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

Best Decision EVER!!!
    EDDIE WOULD GO

My sister (a horse trainer) had that surgery done way back when. She went back to work too soon and got some good scarring from the exertion. Her "girls" also grew back -- like a lizard's tail -- over the next couple of years! So, she's back where she started....

It's actually my 1-year anniversary for my breast reduction !

I was 18 at the time of having it done, and it was the best decision of my life; hands down, no questions, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat if I could. I was just so tired of having to wear three sportsbras to go workout in the gym, and a regular bra + 3 sportsbras when I was riding. Not to mention the regular clothes shopping!

I had no pain whatsoever, which my PS found very interesting (I walked into his office for my post-week check up and told him he could take back his prescription for vicodin). I was walking around the day AFTER my surgery, and ready to go back to the gym in less than a week.

The only discomfort I experienced, though, was when my nerves were reattaching; at random intervels throughout the day I'd feel sharp, stinging sensations mostly around my aureolas as the nerves came together again, but it was not a big deal at all.

Quote Originally Posted by equinelaw View Post
    I haven't, but I am awaiting results for a breast cancer biopsy. I am not going to die or anything, but the Drs can't understand why I am not upset if the girls have to go. I'm all for a major de-populating of my chest area.

After a certain age they sort of just become a bother
    Equinelaw, good luck with this, jingles for a good outcome.

But I know what you mean, I ended up just having a lumpectomy (so now I have one that points up and one that points down, but whatever) but did a lot of thinking about the options before I knew for sure, and ended up pretty much where you are. One of those few advantage of age, perhaps.

I have a college-age friend who just had a reduction done yesterday, I'm waiting to hear how she's doing. But I know it will really help her riding, and it was that important to her, so I'm glad she was able to go ahead and get it done.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneeneSings View Post
    My sister (a horse trainer) had that surgery done way back when. She went back to work too soon and got some good scarring from the exertion. Her "girls" also grew back -- like a lizard's tail -- over the next couple of years! So, she's back where she started....
    The lizards tail comment made me laugh

My sister was larger then I am now and she had her surgery three years ago I believe?? But she bounced back very quickly for her recovery. Her breasts did end up getting a bit larger about a year and a half after the reduction but not nearly as big as what she was before the surgery.

Thanks all for your comments, I think I will go talk to the Dr.'s and see when I can get this done

I had one many years ago and it was the best thing I ever did. Everyone I hear of who had one says the same thing. Your only regret will be that you did not have one sooner. It makes riding, clothes shopping etc. much easier, not to mention no more back aches. Go for it and good luck!

I just had my second reduction 4 weeks ago. There was a HUGE difference in recovery (different doctors, different anesthesia). For my first, 3.5 years ago, I had general anesthesia. Long, painful, messy, hard recovery.

This time I had twilight anesthesia, and no hospital stay. Surprisingly little pain afterwards, very little bruising, very little swelling, even though more tissue removed this time. Surgeon says the big difference is the anesthesia because with a general your body is dealing with recovering from the drugs for the first few days and doesn't have the energy to deal with the healing yet. I'm not sure I'm buying that because the difference is so dramatic.

My 2 cents.