The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Uncle Jimmy's Balls on sale at SS!

I just came back from a lunch hour run to pick up feed at Southern States... I always peruse the sales while I'm there, and they had Jimmy's Hanging Balls for 1/2 off. I had read about them here on COTH, and had been contemplating buying one for my guys to try, but the $21 price tag put me off. Well, since they were $10.50, I bought 3, one for each of my 3 beasties for their Xmas gifts. Thought I'd pass along the bargain to y'all... they were part of my store's "holiday clearance."

I'll have to make sure I have the camera when I hang 'em-- it should be a trip. I'm gonna have to come up with an inventive way to hang one for my little 11 hand pony though... how the heck do you guys hang your balls, anyway? I'm thinking baling twine over a rafter?

That is an excellent price, and normally I would jump on it-- but I feel compelled to warn you about a recent incident I had with an Uncle Jimmy's Hanging Balls that caused some serious discomfort for me horse.

My Stoney LOVES his Uncle Jimmy's Hanging Balls. He's had several before and made minor messes, but the ball I most recently purchased for him was unsually soft in texture (notwithstanding the cold winter temps) and it caused a real problem...

Last Thursday I hung an Uncle Jimmy's Hanging Ball for him, in his stall. He must have been going at it like crazy. On Friday I discovered him literally COVERED in molasses, feed, and mud. He had it all over his face, including the long whiskers on his muzzle... and he had effectively gunked his mouth CLOSED part of the way so he couldn't open it fully to eat/drink. In the meantime, he had rubbed himself raw trying to get the molasses off. He was missing a ton of hair on his muzzle and gave himself some raw spots. I spent about an hour soaking and scrubbing with hot water and liquid dish soap, all over his face, neck, mouth, nose, and ears.

I have never seen him be so deserate for help. The entire time I was scraping the gunk off, he was making appreciative noises and licking my face and jacket. Poor animal. I feel horrible. No more Uncle Jimmy's Hanging Balls for Stoney. At least not unsupervised.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Oh, wow, vxf, that sounds awful! Does that mean I should check the firmness of my balls before I hang them? Seriously, though, poor guy, just tryin' to enjoy his treats and got his mouth glued shut . I hadn't thought about that possibility!!!

I think I'll only give mine access to them while I'm around, like maybe let them have them when they come in for dinner until night check. That way they'd only be unsupervised with them for a couple of hours. They're at home so it's pretty easy for me to keep an eye on them.

My mind is in the gutter...LOL! I have seen these balls you speak of at the tack store and even then, couldn't bring myself to purchase them, simply because of the name. The SNL skit with Alec Baldwin kept popping into my mind~ Pete Schweddy and his Schweddy Balls...
    Crayola posse~ orange yellow, official pilot
    Proud owner of "High Flight" & "Shorty"

HuntJump, that is TOTALLY what I think of too... I loff that skit!!!
    For anyone reading that hasn't seen it, here it is

http://www.truveo.com/SNL-Sweaty-Balls/id/3125655456

To keep it horse related, I hope my horses like their Uncle Jimmy's Balls!

The most recent UJHB was decidedly softer than the prior ones. I could press my thumb into it and leave a mark, by pressing hard. Prior UJHBs were hard like hard candy. I think the softness is a large reason why it got so gummy all over Stoney's mouth He was so unhappy, I won't take a chance with him again. Bummer, because he LOVED the UJHBs.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

The visions of that poor pony Stoney covered in goo is somewhat comical, despite his pain. SORRY, I just had to laugh at it. I am glad he is okay.

I have noticed that the balls are definitely gooey in the summertime - but never like Stoney's ball!
    Sarah in New Hampshire
    My Blog - Adventures in Eventing

heheh too funny. I had one Paso rescue who ate the whole darn thing in hours and I do mean hours. there was nothing but a little nub left by early afternoon.

I now have one hanging for Darlin who nibbles on it from time to time but the other day I realized she is not the only one nibblin. I found a little mouse, swinging away on the ball, eating to his hearts content till I came in. then he jumped and ran for his poor little life LOL. Darlin doesnt mind sharing but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,those guys do breed prolifically and soon the whole family might come to dine.
    Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Sunkissed Acres Rescue and Retirement

Thats a great price for UJHB's ... I've met Uncle Jimmy himself, and have to say, the man is a HOOT!

I've got one of his t-shirts that says...

"These Balls Were Made For Licking"

you should SEE the looks I get when I wear it!!!

My girls LOVE their UJHB. They do, however, only get them on special occasions. My AQHA filly seems to pace herself with hers, but my OTTB filly had hers gone in two days flat, and she is on turnout for approximately 10 hours a day. (Yes, I even had it hung correctly, away from the wall and she could not pin it against anything to bite off chunks.) The girls both also had the horrible icky molasses all over their faces, ears, manes and necks. They are great in the summer because it is much easier to clean them up, however, since they are over $20 each and don't last all to long, I tend to keep them for special occasions, like I said before.

Lori,

Are you talking about Dali? He might be getting one for christmas. LOL. He is such an angel.....I would love to watch him devour one that quickly....I can't wait to see it.

I gave one to Sam during the summer and came to the barn to find his face coated in molasses and dead flies. Ewwwww. Went on for a couple of days while he ate the ball--every day I'd have to come and get out a bucket and a washcloth and wash his face while he squirmed like a little kid. It wasn't anything serious though, just a bit messy and icky. He even managed to get some in his mane.

I asked for another one for Christmas... I figure at least it'll be colder and harder and less likely to stick to him, plus if he gets any on his face, there won't be any flies to die in it... will have the BO keep an eye on him for over-stickiness though now!

The Cave of Caerbannog in summer, Castle Aaaargh in winter

Quote Originally Posted by Seriously_Hunter View Post
    Thats a great price for UJHB's ... I've met Uncle Jimmy himself, and have to say, the man is a HOOT!

I've got one of his t-shirts that says...

"These Balls Were Made For Licking"

you should SEE the looks I get when I wear it!!!
    Seriously_Hunter, I know him too! He's a pilot who flies with my brother. I've been to his farm and met his horses. You're right, he's hilarious.

And I have his t-shirt that says "got balls?"

I like logical people---they provide a nice contrast to the real world.

I have to thank everyone for thoroughly entertaining Andrew (the horsey SO) He lurks on COTH and said, "Uncle Jimmy's Hanging Balls?! What the....?" Then he reads the thread, "check for firmness before hangin' balls," etc. It gave him a good laugh last night.
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

This entire thread is disgusting. All this talk of hanging balls, schweddy balls, balls for licking....

THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!! The innocent children!

You should all be ashamed of yourselves for talking dirty on a board a minor can access.

Snobbington Hunt clique - Whoopee Wagon Fieldmaster
    Bostonians, join us at- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Boston_Equestrian
    NYC Equestrians- http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/urbanequestrian/

And that's why mine get Pony Pops ... no gummy faces ...

This is also why I like the Bizzy Balls. Pony gets his treat with no mess. A little cheaper as well.

Quote Originally Posted by hiddenlake View Post
    Seriously_Hunter, I know him too! He's a pilot who flies with my brother. I've been to his farm and met his horses. You're right, he's hilarious.

And I have his t-shirt that says "got balls?"
    LOL.. I wanted that one TOO!!!! He was only willing to part with one of them at the time, so I had to make a choice!!!

I haven't been to his place but have heard lots about it!!! Uncle Jimmy is the Man!!!!!!

I am only posting because I had to giggle over the name of the thread... LOL!!!

Ted's never had soft balls...if you know what I mean.

Our only issue - and my goodness, he does love his balls! - is in spring, when the ants come out. One day I'll go into his stall and find ants all over his balls, and then I have to put his balls in the freezer.

HydroPHILE - hope your SO likes the above - and - it's all TRUE!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues