The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default After the Finish Line

It's great to see everyones OTTB's! Aren't they all so beautiful!

My name is Dawn Mellen and I am the President of After the Finish Line in San Diego, California. We are a National 501 (c) (3) funding non-profit for Thoroughbred horses that can no longer race or breed. Please visit our website at, www.afterthefinishline.org.

" The greatest victory for a Thoroughbred is not winning a race,
    but winning the race to live long past their days on the racetrack."

For nearly a decade I have been volunteering to help rescue organizations across the United States care for and save Thoroughbred racehorses and broodmares from slaughter. I quickly learned that funding was the common problem for all rescues. There is a need to raise funds to help them support their existing Thoroughbreds as well as provide funding to rescue additional horses.

I believe people want to help the Thoroughbreds yet they don't know how or who to donate to. The donations given to After the Finish Line enables us to award yearly grants and monthly emergency funds to Thoroughbred rescue organizations across the United States. The funding can be used to save horses at auctions, pay for surgery, vet, farrier, dental, chiropractor, medication, x-rays, ultrasound or medical expenses, provide hay and feed, pay boarding expenses, transport a Thoroughbred to safety, etc.

Board members are not salaried. We are all volunteers. These beautiful animals deserve the opportunity to transition into second careers such as hunter/jumpers, dressage, trail or companion horses. More and more people are becoming aware of the cruel fate that awaits many of these Thoroughbreds. They should not be forgotten in their time of need.

You are certainly making a better life for the Thoroughbreds. After the Finish Line is one of the rescues on the Secret Santa for Rescues thread. If anyone wants to receive our newsletters just email me at the address below.

Sincerely,

Dawn Mellen, President
    After the Finish LineĀ®
    3525 Del Mar Heights Road, PMB 397
    San Diego, CA 92130
    www.afterthefinishline.org
    dawn@afterthefinishline.org

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL160.../348215165.jpg

Nan, got her off the track in 1991 as a 5 yr. old. Photo is last month, 17 years later. The healthiest horse I've ever owned. In 17 years she's never once needed a veterinarian's assistance.