The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default OTTBs!

I got off of my horse today and just thought to myself, "This horse is awesome." He has been absolutely the MOST fun horse I have ever worked with. Even on his naughty days I still hop off smiling. I don't have much time to ride him when I'm at school, but he picks up on things instantly and doesn't forget them. My point here, other than bragging on my guy, is that if you're thinking about getting a TB off the track, do it! I can't tell you how rewarding it has been. And for anyone that has an OTTB, how are they doing?

Here's a picture of my guy from today:
    http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/759...ristmasgw9.jpg
    My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
    http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

Preaching to the choir, here!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

I adore my OTTB!! She is a sweetheart and gorgeous. (Check out her pic in my profile.)
    In loving memory of Chutney (1977 - 2008)

My newest book, "Sandsablaze," available now!

I bought my first OTTB in September and I am having a blast. Got him after a 7+ year hiatus (had 2 kids and 2 bad relationships) from horses.

I actually posted this following part on the things that make you smile thread but thought I would post it again here.

-------

went out this afternoon to get Fiyerro out of the pasture. he was laid out flat. didn't hear me or respond to me until I got into the pasture. (I was starting to be very worried)

Then he sat up and looked around blinking his eyes and looking very sleepy, and then he saw me he nickered at me and hopped up on his legs and cantered the entire length of the pasture to me and put his muzzle in my hands and set it there and I laid my head on his.

I actually cried a little but I had a big smile on my face at the same time. I've only had him since September and we already have a strong bond (at least I think so). It's so wonderful having a horse again after over 7 years. For the first time in a long time I feel like me again. The part of me that was missing is back again, and I see it in his big horsey lashes and chocolaty brown eyes.

Here he is at the trot

His racing name is lyrlyrpantsonfire his great grand dads on his sires side are Secretariat and Northern Dancer. He came off the track with swelling of the lining of his cannon bone and got a year off before I bought him

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another OTTB if I had the money and time!

Aren't they the best!

I took up fox hunting this year on the two horses that I am retraining for CANTER Mid Atlantic. I am having the most fun on horseback..even better than I could have imagined and although eventing is a thrill fox hunting really is an adrenaline rush like no other. Not only do my two horses fox hunt but they event, trail ride, go to local h/j shows and I can pull either of them out and throw up guest riders without a worry.

I am sure most people wouldn't advise fox hunting for the first time on a green 5yr ottb that has never hunted himself but I figured what the heck no time like the present and it has worked out. Dixie loves hunting and he is probably one of the easiest horses I have ridden out in the open. Nothing like 20 horses galloping across wide open fields and running through the woods jumping coops. I have said he has the three important essentials- brains, brake and balance. I wish he wasn't for sale as he is the ultimate horse but hopefully he will fund many more CANTER horses.

I love everything about ottb's and am thankful everyday I am lucky enough to have a barn full of them to keep me smiling.

Thumbs up

Being new to the OTTB world, I have to say I have been AMAZED at how fast he learns!!

...which is NOT always a good thing, as after hauling him 3 times to a nearby arena to ride, he showed signs of being "gate sour!" All we did was go in and out - I don't saddle, get on or stop there - ever, but he had figured it out!

We fixed that issue real quick, and it's fun to have a horse that learns fast - I just have to be very careful what I teach him!!

I just love the TB's. Love their heart, their intelligence, the way they move, their beauty. Owned my first one more than 40 years ago and my opinion of them has never changed. Wonderful breed of horse!

My guy is very kind and patient. Sometimes when he's naughty I remind myself that I need to be at least as patient with him as he is with me. I am a re-rider, he's my first TB.
    He's really a good guy and a cool horse.
    "Uh, if you're going to try that, shouldn't you unplug it first?"

Quote Originally Posted by Juneberry View Post
    went out this afternoon to get Fiyerro out of the pasture. he was laid out flat. didn't hear me or respond to me until I got into the pasture. (I was starting to be very worried)

Then he sat up and looked around blinking his eyes and looking very sleepy, and then he saw me he nickered at me and hopped up on his legs and cantered the entire length of the pasture to me and put his muzzle in my hands and set it there and I laid my head on his.

I actually cried a little but I had a big smile on my face at the same time. I've only had him since September and we already have a strong bond (at least I think so). It's so wonderful having a horse again after over 7 years. For the first time in a long time I feel like me again. The part of me that was missing is back again, and I see it in his big horsey lashes and chocolaty brown eyes.
    How sweet and wonderful your boy sounds!!! I love that story!!!

I have several OTTB's but my love is Petey. He's like a big dog who loves attention and is the laziest things ever. How he ever raced is beyond me and he's even an Alydar grandson!!! We have been through some hard times since I bought him 4 years ago but he just keeps trying and I think we have a special bond. Here is a picture of him this past fall at his 3rd hunter show and first time doing 2'!!! (yep baby jumps)!!!!

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=vmx01i&s=5

I LOVE my OTTB. She is a 17hh 3 yrear old that I picked up off CANTER Ohio. Bought her from her race trainer, and will never sell her. Ever. Along with being extremely easy to work with, she is very smart. Nothing seems to phase her, and she thrives on human attention. When she is out in pasture with her buddies, she can be on the other side of the 10 acres, but as soon as she sees me at the gate she comes running. I have only had her since the end of May, but I can't wait to see what she will turn into as her training progresses. I would really like to eventually do the jumpers with her, but that is a long way off. Right now, I ride her about four times a week, and on the other days we just "play" and bond. She also spends an hour or so a week packing my 3 year old niece around (future lead liner) and is VERY protective of her. I honestly think this is the best horse I've ever owned. She has definately made me become extremely partial to OTTBs and I can't wait until I can purchase another. "Luvvy" was supposed to be a project horse. I wanted to own her for two or three years and then resell her and buy another to retrain and resell. Well, that isn't going to work because I couldn't bear to part with this filly. She is just "one of those horses". Now, I am focusing on making her into a solid "packer" for my niece. I figure in about five or six years they will make a great team in the showring. (At least I hope!) When she retires from that career, I would like to breed her in hopes of a sporthorse prospect. Okay...I'll stop obsessing now.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...thecentury.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Green Acres View Post
    I have several OTTB's but my love is Petey. He's like a big dog who loves attention and is the laziest things ever. How he ever raced is beyond me and he's even an Alydar grandson!!! We have been through some hard times since I bought him 4 years ago but he just keeps trying and I think we have a special bond. Here is a picture of him this past fall at his 3rd hunter show and first time doing 2'!!! (yep baby jumps)!!!!

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=vmx01i&s=5
    One of my OTTB's is an Alydar grandson (by Turkoman). He was a stakes winner and I have NOOOOOO clue how he was so successful, LOL.

Laid back as can be, hates to get in a hurry for anthing and no way will he be infront on a trail ride.

If my guy was cleaned up in this picture, he could be Petey's brother, LOL.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...bs/Kids009.jpg

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post
    If my guy was cleaned up in this picture, he could be Petey's brother, LOL.

I laughed out loud since I have seen Petey look just like that many times!!! He loves to roll in the mud but then again all of my OTTB's like to do that!

Awww great stories, great pictures! Thanks so much for sharing
    Mine's a little one who chose me. I had hoped once to make her my riding horse when we retired her, but she had an unsurmountable fear of cows, and we have cows on the farm. She lived in fear of them last winter when we were between racing seasons. But I adored her. She was a mommy's girl, always watching me and engaging me both at home and at the track. When I brought her home this year, I intended to find her the best home possible where she would be spoiled and have a great life. But I just had to swing up and try riding her. And I was smitten. She's awesome. And as an added bonus, she's suddenly getting over her cowphobia. We've seen her run them off even, and she no longer shakes and sweats when they are near. She's giving it her all to be the best little gal she can be, and I'm more in love every day. Sure, we've had a rough patch here or there (got splattered on the beach from a full gallop the other day), but overall she's amazing. We're both taking our first ever english lessons with a dressage-h/j instructor.

I've been keeping track of what's going on in her blog (see sig )

deep in the CT wilds near...the 200yr flood zone

My OTTB chose me too! Went to the track at the end of the season four years ago, one look and that was all it took. My forever horse. (See my profile pic. )
    This it be all wot we want in life, wenn peoples dey loff us. ~ Willem

http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/b...all2008062.jpg

Titus nibbling an apple. He is 15, raced 'til age 5. he's by Tejano who was second in the KY Derby but TiBo prefers the life of leisure.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

I work on a TB farm so I get to raise them and root for them when they run............then when they're done or have proven they have no speed, I get to find them homes. We have 3 AWESOME OTTBs I'm currently hoping to place. They love people, they are very, very willing to please, and they have limitless 'try' in them.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

I'm on my 4th OTTB now. I just love them. They're all SO different, but yet they're all the same. I don't get along with anything BUT ottbs. I just don't work well with anything that doesn't have that special mentality.

I also adore the fact that whether they're truly "rescued" or not, you're still taking an unwanted/rejected horse and giving them a new chance at life.

All 4 of mine will work their butts off for me and their "try" factor is extremely high.

Really I could go on all day, but eh,,,as DG said, I'd be preachin' to the choir

I have my first OTTB now and he is AWESOME! In fact I took him out tonight bareback, in the dark around the property, all after a 2 day break because of weather and packing to move. He was a real trooper and felt better than a few days ago when his hind end was ouchy. I have the chiro coming out as soon as possible after the holidays to get him adjusted.

It's so funny how he is one of the most laid back horses in the whole barn and he is the only OTTB!! Everyone always knows where to find him since he sticks his head in the round bale and never leaves!!

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post
    One of my OTTB's is an Alydar grandson (by Turkoman). He was a stakes winner and I have NOOOOOO clue how he was so successful, LOL.

Laid back as can be, hates to get in a hurry for anthing and no way will he be infront on a trail ride.

Mine is by Century City (by Danzig) and out of an Affirmed mare. She also has Alydar in her 5 generation pedigree. You would think she would be a good racehorse!!! Nope, NO desire to go anywhere fast, unless she is playing in pasture. Doesn't mind being in front on a trail ride, but has more of a "western pleasure" walk and is frequently passed by others!

Quote Originally Posted by Jleegriffith View Post
    Aren't they the best!

I took up fox hunting this year on the two horses that I am retraining for CANTER Mid Atlantic. I am having the most fun on horseback..even better than I could have imagined and although eventing is a thrill fox hunting really is an adrenaline rush like no other. Not only do my two horses fox hunt but they event, trail ride, go to local h/j shows and I can pull either of them out and throw up guest riders without a worry.

I am sure most people wouldn't advise fox hunting for the first time on a green 5yr ottb that has never hunted himself but I figured what the heck no time like the present and it has worked out. Dixie loves hunting and he is probably one of the easiest horses I have ridden out in the open. Nothing like 20 horses galloping across wide open fields and running through the woods jumping coops. I have said he has the three important essentials- brains, brake and balance. I wish he wasn't for sale as he is the ultimate horse but hopefully he will fund many more CANTER horses.

I love everything about ottb's and am thankful everyday I am lucky enough to have a barn full of them to keep me smiling.
    Dixie Rumble seems like a lovely and sweet horse. It looks like you've done an excellent job with him.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/