The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Favorite inexpensive riding vests

I know it is getting late but I am looking for a gift for a friend and needed some quick opinions. What is your favorite inexpensive vests (not the safety vests)? Does anyone like the riding sport ones? They see a little short and not very fitted but my friend is shorter. In particular I would love to find a lilac, lavender, or purple one.

For me, are there any inexpensive vests that fit longer?

Thanks!

I have a couple of fleece vests from LLBean that I love for riding. I don't like the "riding" vests with the stand up collars that always seem to be in my way when I want to turn my head. The LLBean vests come in lots of colors and are usually less than $20.

Fish around at Marshalls/TJ Maxx... they have sport (golf, etc) vests for women and you can usually find something nice.

Yeah, TJ Maxx/Marshalls. I also got a great vest at a Van Husen (sp?) outlet, a nice dusty lavender, for $12.

If you want to go strictly equestrian, Dover sells one, got it at a store sale, not a big name, but exactly like my Pikeurs, for a fair price. They had black, gray and pink, as I recall, and I love mine.

I found mine at Target actually (I'm 5'4" and with a short torso) so most riding specific vests I end up sitting on. At any rate - I found one at Target last year - and I think I noticed some this year too (they remind me of the Ariat ones actually - made me laugh). Not sure about colors though.

I really like my riding sport vest. The vest had snaps in the back to adjust how wide it is, which is great for me as a small is a little too wide. The quilted ones are warmer but did not fit me as well.

I bought a bunch of quilted and down vests at my local Eddie Bauer Outlet--paid like $12 each on sale. The company has an outlet Web site.

Quote Originally Posted by AM View Post
    I have a couple of fleece vests from LLBean that I love for riding. I don't like the "riding" vests with the stand up collars that always seem to be in my way when I want to turn my head. The LLBean vests come in lots of colors and are usually less than $20.
    I agree 100%. They are cozy and they last. Also, you can get matching turtlenecks and look quite stylish!!! If you live near an LLBean outlet, they have super sales on 1 item every Thursday. I got a windproof, water resistant vest for about $14. It was regularly $49 or $59. It was such a bargain!!

I go to Academy Sports (sporting goods store) and can usually find great vests. They are made for general athletic use, but work great for riding! I like the lightweight fleece.
    http://www.academy.com/index.php?pag...uterwear/vests
    "To be an equestrian in the classical sense is not just to be a rider.
    It is a position in life." --Charles de Kunffy

I have 2 of the riding sport ones... if you want them more fitted, be sure to get the ones that zip, not the ones that have the snap fronts. I'm quite petite and they fit me pretty well. I have black and periwinkle, and I really like them.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Not sure if it counts as cheap. Mine was because I bought it on clearance but I love my carhart vest.

I also love the riding sport zip front ones - they're usually always on sale and I like that you can adjust the sides and so far they've held up really well. I just wish they came in more colors!