The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default WERM floor or spray in liner for your trailer?

I am sure this has been asked before, but my aluminum flooring is pitted and corroding and i am trying to decide if i should spend the money on WERM flooring, or go the Mucuric acid treatment with spray in (or Walmart purchased) liner material. Here's what is understand the pros and cons:

WERM - sure to stop the corrosion (is this true???), no further need for mats, better resale value, expensive
    "Do it yourself method" - less expensive, lower maintenance than with no treatment, may not stop the corrosion if you don't properly treat it before applying liner, working with acid is nasty.

Thoughts and experiences?/

Thanks!

No advice but interested in what others have to say. I have an aluminum trailer and while no pitting yet would love to prevent it. What would Werm flooring cost in a 4 horse?

I have two estimates for WERM in a 3 horse: $850.00 and $1000.00.

Hmmm not as bad as I thought it would be! I heard somebody else had put Rhino lining in their trailer. Does that accomplish the same thing as WERM? I have it in my truck but it seems awfully hard for the horses.

Default flooring options

I dont beleive Rhino is the same. It is not as thick and i dont think it could be used without mats. WERM flooring will replace the mats - i love that idea!!! The person that gave me my estimate for WERM, will also put a thin layer of Rumbar on the kick wall to cover the tears and prevent new ones. Love that too!

I have WERM in my trailer and I LOVE it. My gelding pees a lot in the trailer, so no more pulling mats and such to perform proper maintenance. I haul a lot, and WERM makes my life very, very easy.

My WERM was factory installed on top of a marine-grade aluminum sheet type flooring, so it had never been exposed to corrosive properties. If your floor is already pitting and corroding, you first need to have the floor professionally inspected to make sure it doesn't need to be replaced. If not, then the floor will need to be treated appropriately to stop the corrosion and prepped for WERM installation. WERM will not "cure" the corrosion that is already happening, but if that corrosion is taken care of, and the floor prepped correctly, the WERM will seal the floor and prevent further corrosion from urine, etc.

When I was shopping for trailers and weighing some options, I looked into Rhino lining a trailer that I was considering. I was told that they wouldn't warranty it in a horse trailer because it isn't designed for that. WERM is much different from Rhino....thicker, has cushioning properties, and it is a pour-in product versus a spray-on.

I won't have another trailer without WERM!

Quote Originally Posted by flypony74 View Post
    I have WERM in my trailer and I LOVE it. My gelding pees a lot in the trailer, so no more pulling mats and such to perform proper maintenance. I haul a lot, and WERM makes my life very, very easy.

My WERM was factory installed on top of a marine-grade aluminum sheet type flooring, so it had never been exposed to corrosive properties. If your floor is already pitting and corroding, you first need to have the floor professionally inspected to make sure it doesn't need to be replaced. If not, then the floor will need to be treated appropriately to stop the corrosion and prepped for WERM installation. WERM will not "cure" the corrosion that is already happening, but if that corrosion is taken care of, and the floor prepped correctly, the WERM will seal the floor and prevent further corrosion from urine, etc.

When I was shopping for trailers and weighing some options, I looked into Rhino lining a trailer that I was considering. I was told that they wouldn't warranty it in a horse trailer because it isn't designed for that. WERM is much different from Rhino....thicker, has cushioning properties, and it is a pour-in product versus a spray-on.

I won't have another trailer without WERM!

So since this covers the entire floor do you just put shavings down to soak up, and then clean out. I would assume this would cover your floor drains so would just pool in there. Also do you find it as cushiony for your horses as the rubber mats?

Also anybody know if it voids your trailer warranty? I have a new trailer (within 1 year) and don't want to void my 8 year warranty!

Hmm, interesting stuff about the WERM. I just bought a Brenderup and am thinking about Rhino-lining the floor; like others, I am worried that a peeing horse + WERM floor = slippage. Anyone with WERM able to comment on that issue?

A couple of years back I saw some cattle trailers done with RhinoLining. They ran the material up the sidewall about 3-4 feet as well as the floor. The guy who owned them said this was his second group and swore by it. RhinoLining is more "textured" than some other products and provides much better traction for hooves. The downside is it's a bit harder to clean because of the texture in the material. A pressure washer will generally do the job nicely.

The DIY "liner" materials are problematical. Unless you have the surface properly prepared the material will not adhere. RhinoLining (and the other professionally applied products) also require "professional" preparation but the people who do it (if they are following manufacturer's recommendations) have the materials, facility, and expertise to use the sometime dangerous chemicals that are required to thoroughly clean the surface to be protected.

As to cost, I just had a RhinoLining put into a new long bed truck. It was $425 plus tax. That will give you some idea of what you can plan on for a professional installation. You'll need to get a specific quote from an installer.

I'm not a dealer or shareholder in a RhinoLining enterprise but I'm a loyal customer. I had it for almost nine years in my old truck and had one "ding" in the coating. It had withstood urine, acid, liquid fertilizer, manure, diesel fuel, gasoline, kerosine, and various ag. chemicals. It's a good product and worth the price.

G.

Quote Originally Posted by mjrtango93 View Post
    So since this covers the entire floor do you just put shavings down to soak up, and then clean out. I would assume this would cover your floor drains so would just pool in there. Also do you find it as cushiony for your horses as the rubber mats?

Also anybody know if it voids your trailer warranty? I have a new trailer (within 1 year) and don't want to void my 8 year warranty!
    Yes, I always haul with shavings (no matter what kind of flooring...mats, WERM, whatever), and with the WERM, all I do is scoop out the wet/dirty spots, sweep out the lingering dirty shavings, and I'm done. I usually pull the remaining clean shavings to the side and let the wet spot dry. Takes less than five minutes to clean the trailer. Every month or so, I'll sweep the remaining shavings out and spray out the trailer with the hose. No mats, no fuss.

I doubt it would void your trailer warranty, but check with your manufacturer just to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    Hmm, interesting stuff about the WERM. I just bought a Brenderup and am thinking about Rhino-lining the floor; like others, I am worried that a peeing horse + WERM floor = slippage. Anyone with WERM able to comment on that issue?
    WERM is textured, and I find it to be less slippery than mats, actually.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have no experience with WERM so I can't help you there.

Like Guilherme, I had Rhinoliner sprayed in my truck bed years ago for about that price. The bed has been put through the wringer, including a bit of an accident with lifting a sharp farm implement out of it. Not a scratch.

I believe a similar type of product is in my horse trailer, on the floor (aluminum) and up the walls. I would have liked the product to have been sprayed on the escape doors as one of my horses is a kicker and he has damaged the door. Where he has pawed and kicked where the liner is - no damage except scuff marks.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by flypony74 View Post
    WERM is textured, and I find it to be less slippery than mats, actually.
    There's really no reason to add a rhino lining to a Brenderup floor. It's a treated hardwood that is VERY moisture resistant.
    With a quick rinse after use, the floor will stay in very good shape. The mats are flexible enough to roll up easily while the floor dries. Unless the floor hasn't been properly cared for, they usually last at least 10+ years.

You'll pay as much for the lining as you would for a new floor. My advice: get more years of use until the floor is ready to be replaced. Then get a new one put in by a Brenderup dealer and you'll be good again for many more years. In the meantime, buy something that's more fun!

Default Oops.

Meant to quote the comment by jn4jenny. Rookie mistake!