The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Not so obvious to the non-horsey folk

I have a bunch of pictures of our horses posted to my flickr account. Today, I got a great comment on one of our mares rolling in the sand:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24994333@N03/2687375504/

I got a good chuckle out of that. In the same vein, we have a friend with a rising 2 yo filly that lays out, flat on her side by the road, and the owners get calls alerting them to their dead horses all the time.

Anyone else have tales of things that are normal to us (or that we've at least gotten used to, like the 'dead filly'), but concern the non-horsey?

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

This one pops up all the time. Many horses in Florida wear fly masks. Non-horsey folks ask "why are the horses blindfolded?" Then when you tell them they are fly masks, the next question is always "can they see through them?"

This one was cute, my MIL was driving home from work, past a pasture with a black and white paint horse in it, and his barrel is white. She thought he had a big bandage around his middle. It took her a few days til she realized that was just his hair color.

She's fallen....and she can't get up!
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

I was braiding one morning at a show and the non-horsey BF of a teen we know asked why I was giving the horse corn rows .

I sent that to my mom as well, and she writes back "You should have said - yup! It just fell over. Happens sometimes!" ROFLMAO.

We're also in FL, so we get Fly Masks one too.

Oh wow, corn rows!! LOL.
    Last edited by sniplover; Dec. 17, 2008 at 02:09 PM. Reason: intervening post

I had a great one this spring!

One of my small ponys wears a muzzle that is sort of an orange plastic bucket looking thing with holes in the bottom to eat and drink from. I had just turned them out when I hear from behind me, " hello, hello... hi, I'm your trash pickup person and I saw that one of your horses has a bucket stuck on its' head. I can help you take it off if you need help"

I did everythinng I could to not laugh at the guy. You never know if you horses are galloping down the road and need help from the trash pickup. I explained what it was and thanked him.

Aww, that is cute!

I also get strange comments about the "blindfolds"!

Quote Originally Posted by HydroPHILE View Post
    She's fallen....and she can't get up!

No, no... "She's fallen and she can't giddy-up!"

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Well, he did it on purpose but...
    I took a non-horsy friend to watch Vern show. He was being ridden by a friend whose horse was lame that weekend.
    As we walked onto the showgrounds NHF announced in his best Oudoors Voice:
    "Where do you go to bet on these things?"

The air was filled with the creaking sound of Hunter Princess necks craning in our direction
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy M View Post
    No, no... "She's fallen and she can't giddy-up!"
    No! LOL. That's great and terrible at the same time!! I need a laughing-through-tears smiley!

I love the muzzle story too. At least we all live near quasi-observant people!

Hello non-horsey people. While visiting the farm, picking up your toddler so she can jam her tiny fingers into the very large horsey's nostrils and mouth - see those BIG teeth? - IS NOT A GOOD IDEA.

I thought this would be a no-brainer, but apparently not.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy M View Post
    I thought this would be a no-brainer, but apparently not.

Oh, but they are no-brainers

The best fly mask explanation I have heard was from my two non-horsey friends who were with me one day at the barn.

One friend has a tiny bit of experience with horses (as in trail rode a few times as a kid) and therefore felt the need to explain to my totally non-horsey friend that the fly masks were "sleep masks" that we used b/c horses are naturally too nervous to sleep alone in the paddocks. She went on to explain that if they are out in a herd, they don't need the masks b/c they feel safe enough to sleep.

The guy who cleans our stalls is very eager to learn more about horses. Happily for us, on the stuff that really matters, like handling them, he is a natural.

He is totally stymied, though, by the differences among breed, color and pattern. Doesn't help that our horses tend toward the spotted varieties! We have pintos that aren't Paints, and Paints that don't have spots. Bays that look black. Buckskins, duns, a smoky cream and a perlino. And then there's homozygous black or homozygous tobiano. Sometimes I have trouble keeping it straight, but boy can it mess up someone who would have been inclined to describe them in various shades of "brown".
    Shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you? You are at your very best when things are worst.
    Starman

These are great. Keep 'em coming!

I was a children's librarian for many years. Naturally, I met many, many horse-crazy little girls! Yay!

At my last job, one of them lucked out and went to a horse day camp during the summer. She was over the top with joy. Of course, I had to ask what style of riding she was learning. Funnily enough, she didn't know. I asked her mom, who hadn't a clue. I tried breaking it down to the most basic terms--English or Western--"The way cowboys ride?" Mom still didn't know. I was about to give up when Mom said to me, "They ride with one leg on each side of the horse."

I was PRETTY sure she wasn't joking with me, but...

Kim
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

Visiting friends response to my gelding hanging low and swinging in the breeze...."Oh my GOD!!!!"

I was at a show, working the end gate, and two little girls that had just started riding were following me around and I was doing my Civic Duty and teaching them about horse shows. It was a small h/j show, so it was a good place to learn - you had everything from horses braided to horses that uh . . . well, their owners hadn't spent a lot of time grooming, let's put it that way. Anyway, the two little girls were pretty non-horsey and non-horse-showy, so they made observations that sometimes were a little off the mark, or a little too honest. I had just explained to them the fact that pulling a rail in the hunters was a serious fault, and would probably knock you out of the placings in a class. No sooner had I explained that than the horse in the ring pulled a rail. One of the little girls, wide-eyed looked to me and, as loudly as you can imagine, said "Oh, so that means that horse isn't very good and he's eliminated now, right?" I almost died from both embarrassment and the glares of the people around the gate. I did correct her though, and told her to make sure she used her 'inside voice' whenever watching horses go.
    http://www.chronicleofmyhorse.com/profile/Ashley26

"You keep one leg on one side, the other leg on the other side, and your mind in the middle." -- Henry Taylor, "Riding Lesson"

Try telling a non horsey person the difference between an Appaloosa and a dappled horse. Chances are very good that they wont get it.