The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: 12 month yearling heights

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Under 14 hands

3 5.77%
  • 14-14.3 hands

22 42.31%
  • 15-15.3 hands

24 46.15%
  • 16+

3 5.77%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Size of yearlings

Just wanting to know, for riding/sport horses at 12 months of age (a calendar year yearling) what sizes you expect to see.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

My long yearling (3/4 TB and 1/4 APHA...May foal) was 15H in front/15.2 behind when last sticked about a month ago. He is expected to mature to 16.2H. He was around 14.2 at 12 mos of age back in May.

Of course it depends of the breed. Warmblood tend to grow slower than other breed. According to a study made on hundred of warmblood, on AVERAGE a mature wb of 16.2 would sticked 14.2 hh at 12 months.

But there is always exception to every rule!
    Suzanne
    bloomingtonfarm.com
    Breeder of Royal Dutch Sport Horse

Ha ha! I'm the only vote at under 14 hands. I expect my new yearlings to run about 13 hands but they are a small horse breed that matures around 14:2.

Most of my Arabians are under 14H as yearlings, but a few have been a bit taller. :-)

My yearling filly by Senter stage was 15h at 12 months.

My other yearlings are all 15h or under (but most of them left are QHs.)
    Stephanie Smith
    www.SundownFarmVA.com

Quote Originally Posted by bloomingtonfarm View Post
    Of course it depends of the breed. Warmblood tend to grow slower than other breed. According to a study made on hundred of warmblood, on AVERAGE a mature wb of 16.2 would sticked 14.2 hh at 12 months.

But there is always exception to every rule!
    Oh God! This worries me big time. My May colt sticks at 14.1 in the front and 14.3 behind and I bought him thinking he'd be a smaller jumper (no larger than 16.2)! He WAS the runt of the "litter" and lately I've been thinking that he's gotten awfully large and you've confirmed my suspicions. If he goes over this will be the 2nd one that was meant to be small and went WAY overboard! Hopefully he'll be with the exception and just be an early grower... HOPEFULLY!
    Who needs wings when you've got a jumper?
    http://darkstr.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by VarsityHero4 View Post
    Oh God! This worries me big time. My May colt sticks at 14.1 in the front and 14.3 behind and I bought him thinking he'd be a smaller jumper (no larger than 16.2)! He WAS the runt of the "litter" and lately I've been thinking that he's gotten awfully large and you've confirmed my suspicions. If he goes over this will be the 2nd one that was meant to be small and went WAY overboard! Hopefully he'll be with the exception and just be an early grower... HOPEFULLY!
    But does he stick at 14.1/14.3 NOW in December or back in May? If he was say 13.3 back in May on his 12 month Bday then you are looking at more like 15.3H

camohn - I think she means her colt who was BORN in May '08...

I'm really hoping my '08 colt makes 16hh... He was growing well but has slowed down completely since weaning and was only a half-inch over 13hh at 6 months (13.2hh at the bum)... C'mon, little man, GROW!!

Quote Originally Posted by camohn View Post
    But does he stick at 14.1/14.3 NOW in December or back in May? If he was say 13.3 back in May on his 12 month Bday then you are looking at more like 15.3H
    ASB is right, he was BORN in May of this year. He was a little one until he got weaned and then all of a sudden he shot up! When the vet was here to geld last week she said he was huge too. (sigh) I guess the height gods think I'm meant for the monsters...

Yes, but I was asking if the foal was measured now or back in May when he was 12 mos old..

Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

It would depend on the breed. I'd expect a baby with a lot of TB in their background to be tall at 6 months. My April filly sticks about what your colt sticks, and is expected to be at least 17H. But she is 3/4 Hanoverian lines and 1/4 TB.
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

Yes, but I was asking if the foal was measured now or back in May when he was 12 mos old..
    He was zero months old in May. lol, he'll be a yearling in '09. As far as I know he doesn't have TB blood but I don't know much about the extended pedigrees of his parents.

My yearling is 15.1 and growing like a proverbial weed!

My 21 mo filly is around 15.2 in front and maybe an in higher behind. i really hope she ends up big though. What do you guys think?
    Her 30 mo "sister" (same grandsire... but we call them sisters... they also have a completely unrelated "brother") is about the same. But my aunt who owns her is almost 6 feet tall, so i hope she grows a bit more for her.
    Unfortunately the two year old is at least 1/4 TB. I forget what her dam is and don't know where her papers are.
    The yearling doesn't have any TB anywhere up close in her pedigree.

My appy x TB is out of a 16.2h TB by a 16.2h appy. She was about 14.2 - 14.3 at 12 months and is now about 15.3h at 19 months.

My 18 month old filly (June 07) sticks at a hair under 15.1h in front & at 15.2h behind. I expect her to be 16-16.1h. She is Holsteiner x TB. I haven't measured my July 08 TB colt, but I expect he'll be 15.3h or 16h when mature. My April 01 gelding was only 14.3h at 18 months. He's now a hair over 16.2h & about 1500#.

He was zero months old in May. lol, he'll be a yearling in '09. As far as I know he doesn't have TB blood but I don't know much about the extended pedigrees of his parents.
    Ahhh..........since the thread was about yearlings I assumed by May foal you meant it was a yearling in May. If the beastie is 14.1 in the front and 14.3 behind 7 months old? Huge!

Ahhh..........since the thread was about yearlings I assumed by May foal you meant it was a yearling in May. If the beastie is 14.1 in the front and 14.3 behind 7 months old? Huge!
    I know! I peeked in on the topic to see what I might be able to expect at a year+ from my guy... I think he might be off the chart by then! haha luckily his "sister" is quite a bit smaller so perhaps she will be my riding horse.

I can not remember her height at 12 months (written down at home, but I am not there. I'll look when I return).

But now at 20 months, she is 16.0-3/4H at the withers and 16.2H at the butt.

Her page (with a very short hasty video):

http://allanglos.com/Tiny.html
    The Inverted Y
    Anglo Arabian Sporthorses
    2005 and 2007 USEF Breeder of the Year.
    www.allanglos.net

Hundreds of half priced champion stallions
    www.SHNpayback.org