The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    GGW Guest

Default Round Bales - My horses are PIGS!

Quote Originally Posted by Ritaroo View Post
    Last sat. I put a roundbale in the field for my 3 horses- well 5 days later they have decimated it! Does anyone else have this problem? How can I slow down thier eating? a muzzle? a roundbale feeder?

I guess I could go to throwing flakes, but the TB mare that needs it, is lowest in the pecking order. She wouldnt get anything before the other beasts devour it!

Anyone else have this problem or know of a good solution?

TIA!
    It seems they always find a way to mess up any feed they're not ready to eat. To keep it fresh, and eliminate waste, I break big bales apart and feed only what they'll eat in about 24 hrs. That way I'm checking on them at least daily. Also check Whinny Acres Mfg, they might be able to help.

If you can I would try to get away from using round bales. The risk of colic goes up feeding round bales. There has been published papers on it in vet journals.

I think most of those have referred to lower quality, stemmier hay along with bad storage practices that promote mold. There is no increased risk if the hay is baled well and is of high quality to start with. If someone doesn't have the situation to store them properly and to feed them from a covered area, or isn't knowledgeable enough to buy quality enough hay, then of course they shouldn't use them.
    Please don't try to be a voice of reason. It's way more fun to spin things out of control. #BecauseCOTH - showhorsegallery

Ok, I'm curilus, I've seen them plopped out in the middle of fields. Nice barns, healthy horses. Granted, they are delivered into the field by the distributor, quality hay, and stored properly prior to getting plopped in the field. Should they have been put in a building? I've seen this at many barns...just curious...I live in New England, if that matters....and come to think of it, I've driven by many farms with the big bales in the field & horses circled around, eating it up...

Square bales have me curious. Some local farmers have gorgeous 2nd cutting/alfalfa in these huge square bales...

Quote Originally Posted by CoolMeadows View Post
    I think most of those have referred to lower quality, stemmier hay along with bad storage practices that promote mold. There is no increased risk if the hay is baled well and is of high quality to start with. If someone doesn't have the situation to store them properly and to feed them from a covered area, or isn't knowledgeable enough to buy quality enough hay, then of course they shouldn't use them.
    I think there is the problem. It's very rare that your see round bales or large bales stored properly. Usually they sit in the field a few days. Then are moved n covered with a tarp. Then sold, then maybe covered with a tarp, then fed in an open field. They should be in a building all the time or covered very well, then fed indoors. Also during feeding and storage they need to be kept off the ground.

Im scared because the barn I am boarding at uses round bales in the winter. EVERY barn I looked at uses round bales in the winter.

All I can think of to do is make sure I have plenty of Timothy hay to feed him in his stall at night.....

I am still scared.
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

Quote Originally Posted by naters View Post
    Im scared because the barn I am boarding at uses round bales in the winter. EVERY barn I looked at uses round bales in the winter.

All I can think of to do is make sure I have plenty of Timothy hay to feed him in his stall at night.....

I am still scared.
    U should b fine as long as they r stored n fed correctly.

I am assuming the plan is to drop them in the field. No cover.

I don't see any structures in any of the fields around here for covering round bales...
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

I used the "Big Bale Buddies" all last winter without any problems. I absolutely loved them. My horses never looked better and had feed ahead of them 24/7. Everyone maintained ideal weight. I used the 900 to 1000 lb. bales. Of course the hay was high quality and properly stored before it arrived. I fed mine in the open field. No problems with moisture. My plan is to use them again this winter. They are highly durable and very safe too.
    Snowline Sport Horses
    http://www.snowlinesporthorses.com
    Breeder of Hanoverian horses

Default Putting it on the bale?

So how exactly do you put it on and secure it to the bale? Is it a one person or two person job?

It's way easier with two people, especially the first few times. I put them on while the bale's spiked on the tractor. I snip the bottom strings and start it, and then continue on snipping and pulling the bag up and then plop it in the shed, tip it up and slide it onto the mats. You could start at the top with the bale on the ground and then maybe use chains to drag it but I think that would involve a lot of kicking the thing and swearing.

I'd be worried about feeding them uncovered but if the fields have a bunch of horses and go through them in less than a week, you're probably ok. I have 2 horses per field right now and one loner so they take a little more time to finish a bale.
    Please don't try to be a voice of reason. It's way more fun to spin things out of control. #BecauseCOTH - showhorsegallery

I am hoping that since my guy is kind of on the bottom that he won't get to eat much of it....

Oh, to live in a horsey community again would be so lovely right now!

It hasn't been a problem at all feeding them out in the open. I am in Colorado and it does snow and rain once in a while, but never enough to spoil the hay. It takes two to three weeks to go through a 900/1000 lb. bale depending on how many horses are eating off of it. In that amount of time everything has remained OK. It is a two person job to get the bale bag on. I have done it alone and it is possible but not as easy.
    Snowline Sport Horses
    http://www.snowlinesporthorses.com
    Breeder of Hanoverian horses

My mares wasted a lot of hay - they could tear apart a round bale in about 3 days. They used it for bedding and a place to go to the bathroom. You know those mares, they don't liked to get splashed!

DH built a 4x4x3 box that I can tip up, place the bale, then tip it back down.
    He also built a shelter to keep most of the rain off the bale. That is just a 4 pole structure with a tin roof that is about 8 feet high. This drastically reduced wasted hay.

Another vote for the big bale buddies!! My mare and her two paddock buddies love that thing. My BO does cover them if it's raining a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by dbts View Post
    It hasn't been a problem at all feeding them out in the open. I am in Colorado and it does snow and rain once in a while, but never enough to spoil the hay. It takes two to three weeks to go through a 900/1000 lb. bale depending on how many horses are eating off of it. In that amount of time everything has remained OK. It is a two person job to get the bale bag on. I have done it alone and it is possible but not as easy.
    I'm in Colorado too. My elderly neighbor feeds her horses round bales so she doesn't have to go out all the time, I check on them from time to time for her. Depending on the weather, the hay seems to go bad in about 10 days. And the bottoms of the bales are always moldy because what farmer is going to store round bales on pallets. Luckily, she hasn't killed off one of her horses yet! It really worries me.

Default Shine--post a pic!

Hey Shine--can you post a picture of the box you had built?

I have had my bale buddy for close to 4 years and now its just starting to get teenie tiny hole in it. I LOVE it safe, easy and it does well. I lose about a bale out of a round bale, unless I get out their daily to pick up the hay that gets pulled out.

I'm considering a bale buddy. I feed roundbales and haven't had any problems (knocking wood). My horses are never hungry enough to eat hay that isn't good, so I don't worry about the nasty bit that's been sitting on the ground. I've fed them in open fields before, but now I put the roundbale in their run-in. Their current one is almost four weeks old, but we still have grass, so they only visit it occasionally. I go out every week and rake up the nasty bits and put them in the poop pile. I made a HUGE mess feeding squares last winter, because my horses would leave so much behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Merry Fox View Post
    Hey Shine--can you post a picture of the box you had built?
    You have a PM.