The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

dessertx2 Guest

Default carseat for extended cab pickup?

I think only fellow horsepeople can understand this dilemma. I'm newly pregnant and starting to think about the arrival of the little one next summer. I've read a lot about carseats/infant seats but still can't find a straight answer on putting one in my truck. I have a Chevy 1500 ext. cab pick up that I would *hate* to part with, but I'm worried a carseat won't fit safely. My horses are at home so I really need a vehicle that can haul stuff, and since DH travels a TON for work, the little one will have to take those trips with me.

Has anyone successfully used a carseat in a similar truck? I'd love if you could share any advice on the brand of carseat, etc.

Thanks much!

Is the truck bed a requirement, as in, you haul round bales or tow a gooseneck trailer? If not, ditch the pickup and get a Suburban.

Your biggest issue is that infant safety seats must go in a vehicle's back seat because of front airbags. It sounds like your truck's rear seat is small, so you're stuck unless your hubby will swap vehicles with you until your child is old enough that you can get a forward-facing seat.

Oh, and CONGRATULATIONS!
    Last edited by gieriscm; Dec. 17, 2008 at 11:51 AM. Reason: 'cause I'm a twit

I have an extended cab and while I don't have children, my truck has a handy-dandy feature that lets me shut off the passenger side airbad with a turn of my key in the dashboard. Just a thought. Congratuations!
    Come to the darkside...we have cookies.

dessertx2 Guest

It seems I'm constantly running out for shavings, hay, feed, etc so I really do need the bed. Boohoo! I *love* my truck! The front seat does have a automatic weight sensor that will turn the air bag on/off, but I think I'd worry too much about having the carseat in the front.

I may need to win the lottery so I can hire someone to run around for me!

Im not an expert, we have a 3500 extended cab. One of my wife's friends put her carseat in the back of our truck. It looked like it fit to me, and she was satisfied.
    Disclaimer;
    Nearly all of what I post will be controversial to someone. Believe nothing you read on a chat room, research for yourself and LEARN.
    Not in the 42% or the 96%

I have a F 350 extended cab. Carseat fits in back seat. Also hubby's friend has F 150 extened cab and uses car seat in rear seat. If all else fails you can put it in front seat as long air bag is off. Hubby has had ours in his one ton dump truck

Does the truck allow you to move the passenger side independently of the driver seat? I'm assuming it's a bench seat of sorts, but as long as you can move the passenger side forward (it may be too far forward for a full sized adult to sit in it comfortably) I would imagine that you could fit an infant seat there. My volvo station wagon is a tough fit with the rear facing infant seat, and that's how we deal with it (and then both fight over who gets to drive since there's plenty of room with a forward facing seat behind that one! )Our truck isn't an issue since it's bigger than any other vehicle I've been in on the inside!

As for different sizes of carseats.....it seems like the infant seats are fairly standard in sizing. I don't think you're going to find one that fits a whole lot better than others. I've used a Graco snugride on both of mine, and it's on the lower end of the size limit scale, so maybe (???) not quite as big as the large size limit seats. No matter what you pick, the fact that the seat is rear facing is what takes up so much space. I will mention that an infant carrier will fit in a car better without a base than with one.....so you might take that into consideration too.

At least if you're still pregnant you've got time to play around with the different car seats. I think that Babies R Us will help you figure out what will fit if you take the truck in while baby seat shopping.

Good luck!

dessertx2, we moved your thread over to our newest forum--your topic's a perfect fit!

It totally horrified my husband - but one of my friends who has the same dodge diesel as us just showed up with his baby one day and snapped the seat into the strange cargo tie downs in the back seat (Oh, so that's what those are for...) I think it was a Grayco car seat.

Our local fire department is really good about helping people with car seats - maybe you could call them and ask for advice and even bring your truck down. I know here they will install and check your car seats to make sure they are safe.

Good Luck! and congrads!

I drive a 97' ext cab F-250 (bought new) and my son's car seat fit in the back just fine from day one. He is a 10y/o now and still sets in the same spot.
    I am trying to be the person my horse thinks I am.

I think you will be OK. Your next truck can have 4 full doors, but I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to get another.

You can do it. I did it with twins. I used Peg Perego car seats for rear-facing and the Marathon car seats for front facing. In our truck we put one behind the passenger seat with the seat scooted all the way up and one in the middle while they were still in the rear-facing seats. (this made it hard to be the one in the passenger seat, though. Thank God I'm short) Once they moved to the front facing ones we moved the middle one behind the driver. Now they're almost 7 and we're starting to think about a Crew cab because of all of their stuff...

I have a 2002 gmc 1500 extended cab, and no problem with a variety of carseats. They fit fine in the middle of the back bench seat. I did take it to the local firestation for help with getting everything adjusted correctly - they were a great help!

dessertx2 Guest

Thanks everyone! I'm breathing a sigh of relief here. (I can keep my truck and save a couple bucks.) My front seats are separate so I think I'll be okay, or maybe just a bit squished in the front passenger seat, if needed

Yeah! Pregnant and you get to keep your truck! All is right with the world!

You can definitely fit a carseat in the backseat. We had my son's Graco SafeSeat in the backseat of our 3500 Dodge Ram crew cab. And that's one of the largest infant seats on the market. Put it in the center of the backseat (which is the safest place anyway) and you'll be fine.

I also want to mention to not be in too big of a hurry to turn the carseat forward facing. There is emerging evidence that rear-facing your child as long as possible is the safest way to go. When a child is placed forward-facing before their bodies are strong enough, the impact of a crash could cause their heads to be thrown forward with enough force to stretch the spinal cord and internally sever it...it's called an internal decapitation and basically is like a broken neck without breaking any bones...and it's just as fatal.

There are convertible carseats on the market now that allow rear-facing until a child reaches about 35 lbs. So just because they turn 1 year old doesn't mean they have to face forward.
    Happiness is the sweet smell of horses, leather, and hay.