The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Question 3* horse going to New to eventing rider???

Would Love to get people's thoughts on this.... What do you think about upper level horse being sold to an 11 yr old who is new to Eventing and has never done even a schooling level HT? The horse has been previously ridden by a BNR and did very well, until its last outing when it fell. Apparently the horse has a very good temperament. The kid knows very little. She has wonderfully supportive parents who have spent big bucks but know very little about the sport and what their kid to be ubber successful. I have heard both sides of the argument. 1) Huge mistake and dangerous...this is what is wrong with the sport. 2) what a great way for a new to Eventing kid learn the ropes. Thoughts....

It really depends on the horse. If it is a good babysitter and safely teaches her the ropes then I think if you can afford it, go for it!

But then the girl could easily be well over-horsed. I think it's dependent on the situation. We don't know how well this 11 year old rides. She could be amazing.

Hopefully they are working with a good trainer who will make sure they take the time to have the kid ride at the appropriate levels and move up slowly... but sadly that is not often the case...

If the horse has the temperment to teach and baby his rider, then I don't possibly see how it can work out badly. The girl MAY have issues riding green horses in the future, but that's minor.

Horses don't have dreams about competing at a certain level, they don't feel the need to "live up to their potential", or anything like that. The horse will be just as happy packing a rider around lower-level courses.

Depends. If the horse is really suitable tempermentally for an 11 year old, and she takes lessons with a quality instructor who will make sure she has the basics down and is prepared before she starts eventing, than it's great. If the horse wants to go 600 mpm and she decides to start off at Training level even though she can barely canter--not so great.

Did this particular horse go to Fair Hill? If so, this horse will be great for her and much safer as a lower level horse.

I am sure I am way overly cautious, but if it were my kid, I would be spending the big bucks on a novice level packer with a good temperament so he/she could gain confidence and learn to ride. Several years ago at a mini-event, I saw this very scenario and it was ugly. Horse had competed at the advanced level, kid was a beginner -- once out of the starting box, horse completely ran away with the kid and had to be caught. Plus, if this horse had a fall at the upper levels, he could have his own issues.

Just not a good move in my cautious, adult, amateur opinion. I rode as a kid and after a long break, started riding again 15 years ago. It is a whole lot easier to build confidence with good experiences, than it is to re-build a broken confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Artfulldodger View Post
    Thoughts....
    Man, I wish I had that opportunity when I was an 11 year old kid .

A third side of the argument would be how does it effect a child's sense of accomplishment and development when the only excuse for a poor showing can be a failure on the child's part of the equation? The nicest thing about growing up riding cheap, crappy horses is that when there is success the child receive a great deal of the credit and little of it when there is failure. Pretty great for a kid. Although, I tend to think the ideal horse for a kid is somewhere between a former 3* and crap!

I'm jealous.
    Take Your Equestrian Business to the Next Level: http://www.mythiclanding.com/
    Follow me at http://mythiclanding.blogspot.com or http://twitter.com/mythiclanding

Quote Originally Posted by subk View Post
    A third side of the argument would be how does it effect a child's sense of accomplishment and development when the only excuse for a poor showing can be a failure on the child's part of the equation? The nicest thing about growing up riding cheap, crappy horses is that when there is success the child receive a great deal of the credit and little of it when there is failure. Pretty great for a kid. Although, I tend to think the ideal horse for a kid is somewhere between a former 3* and crap!
    I hear where you are coming from - there will be a TON of pressure on this kid to do well. But as everyone who has ridden a schoolmaster says (and I have to go on what they say, sadly having not been in this position myself!), they can be very difficult in their own ways, exacting and particular about how the rider does things. So she'll have a ton of pressure and maybe a horse that's much tougher to ride than jealous outsiders assume. Then again, she'll have an amazing opportunity.
    I evented just for the Halibut.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzy Lady View Post
    It really depends on the horse. If it is a good babysitter and safely teaches her the ropes then I think if you can afford it, go for it!

But then the girl could easily be well over-horsed. I think it's dependent on the situation. We don't know how well this 11 year old rides. She could be amazing.

Hopefully they are working with a good trainer who will make sure they take the time to have the kid ride at the appropriate levels and move up slowly... but sadly that is not often the case...
    Completely agree. Especially the last part.

Quote Originally Posted by Highflyer View Post
    If the horse wants to go 600 mpm and she decides to start off at Training level even though she can barely canter--not so great.
    I take it youve seen your fair share of this situation as well then? Shame isnt it.

Really truelly depends on the horse, how the girl rides, and the trainers overall goal for the rider. We have 2 such horses in the barn now, one went up through 3*** and is now a first horse type. He was so relieved when he no longer had to go fast and he got to be in charge. He is seriously one of the laziest things you could sit on now, has no spook, and only stops if she does something really stupid. This horse however was sold because he no longer wanted to be a top horse, so that may be the difference. The second one we have did a couple 4*'s and was sold as he was getting too old (we got him at 14), he went up through advanced with us again (really topped at intermediate though), and then has been a teacher since (turns 20 this year). He just finished this season with his last rider getting her through her first 1 star and a couple intermediates. His owner is a weekend warrior and just hacks him around, and now a 12 year old is leasing him while she finds something of her own. He loves his babysitting duties and definately adjusts to his riders level. He could be strong for the girl jumping bigger and asking more but goes in a rubber snaffle for the newbie.

I'd say that if the coach thought it was a good idea, the parents thought is was a good idea, and the seller thought it was a good idea it's none of my business.

I saw Squelch loping around a Novice course a few years ago - dum de dum de dum, oh, a fence, OK. Hey, up there, a little direction? No? OK, I can manage, dum de dum dum, loops in the reins.

The rider was not 11, and not a total beginnner either, but by all outward appearances Squelch was not trying to go 600mpm. I saw him at Training level a couple of years later and the same calm (LOVELY) round.

It can work out really well. Lucky girl. Lots of horses can't transition down and they shouldn't be made to cart beginners around, but if they can, it's a nice life.

Ying Yang Yo was signed up to be at the last unrecognized show I attended, with a Novice rider on board. I don't know what happened (wait listed?) but they didn't show. Pity. I would have liked to have seen that.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

Quote Originally Posted by eventer_mi View Post
    Ying Yang Yo was signed up to be at the last unrecognized show I attended, with a Novice rider on board. I don't know what happened (wait listed?) but they didn't show. Pity. I would have liked to have seen that.

Thomas is owned by Faye Woolf, who also owns Hogan and Ollie. The Novice rider is her daughter Eliza....she is doing well with him.

Quote Originally Posted by LAZ View Post
    I'd say that if the coach thought it was a good idea, the parents thought is was a good idea, and the seller thought it was a good idea it's none of my business.
    Interesting. Hypothetically: say three events down the road horse and/or rider fall getting injured and/or die. Would you have looked back and said, "Man, I wish I had said something?"

I guess not knowing what type of horse this is, it's hard for me to say and I somewhat agree with the above statement. However, if I knew either party and thought the horse was a bad match for the child in question, I think I'd definitely say something!

However, as many have pointed out, this could be a very good match, and a great oportunity for this girl. I certainly hope this is the case!! I would have loved that at her age!

My main concern would be the after-effects (if any) from the fall. I'd like to know the horse had time/care/careful rehabbing to resolve any issues.

Otherwise, it depends on the horse and the girl and if they're a suitable match.

Default I don't get it

I'm sorry, but how is this different from ANY novice and ANY horse.

Some three-star horses are easy to ride puppy dogs, some arent. Some Novice horses are easy to ride puppy dogs, some aren't. Some are more than a handful for a great rider...there should be appropriate questions asked for all horse rider combinations

I honestly don't even see the point in this question...what difference does it make if the horse has gone 3*?