The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do you lock up your tack?

I recently moved to a small barn (3 boarders other than myself) and none of the tack lockers have locks on them (the hardware is in place, but no one has chosen to use a lock). I automatically lock up all my stuff. Then I was thinking I kind of feel silly -- being the only one to do it.... Do you lock up all your things in a small barn?

Yep. I kept all of my stuff locked away when I had boarders/boarded myself. Just made me more comfortable. If anyone asks, tell them your insurance requires it.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Yup. All secured in my closet AKA The Armoire

I have a lot of money invested in my tack, blankets and supplies. I like them to stay mine
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Please lock it up. I was robbed this summer - on my own farm - while I was in the house. A small, private barn - but nice looking. Apparently that is all they needed. I am very visable from the road, with a small indoor as well. So don't feel silly about being the only one - according to the Michigan State Police, there are many, many barn thefts. In fact, I no longer leave any of my saddles in the barn, and lock the house now even when I am in it. It is frightening - but unfortunately reality.

We have a private barn, and we lock our tack room. Additionally, my brand new saddle lives in the trunk of my car, or in the house. Anyone in or out of the barn (deliveries etc) could realise there are hundreds/thousands of dollars of equipment to dissappear.
    Additionally, I keep my trunk locked because I don't want my family borrowing my stuff. They never clean it.
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry

Big barn, small barn, I lock it all up and take my saddle home.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    Yup. All secured in my closet AKA The Armoire
    The Armoire that Andrew loved - lol.

To the OP, we don't have enough tack (2 saddles, some bridles, etc.) to keep locked up. Instead, we have a large storage closet/room in our home that we use as the "tack room." Then we just tote any tack to wherever we're going.

Otherwise, yes...I'd definitely keep my tack locked up if it wasn't in my home. Too many items in the past have sprouted legs and walked away or were hoarded by the tack gnomes....apparently.
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

I have my own barn and my horses here and my best friends two horses here. I know she is not going to steal anything but its still locked up (and she has an extra key) I lock it anytime I'm not there, you never know who may sneak up at night and snatch stuff.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Another one without borders who still locks the tack room. Even if the other people are good honest people, that doesn't prevent the outside thief from coming in. Too many stories lately of barns being robbed by thieves. Economic times are hard and more people may do things they wouldn't normally do, looking to make end meet.
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

At home it's is just me and my BO so we both use the tack room and her groom simply locks the doors to that after evening feed. Plus the entire property is fenced in with 4 board fencing and you need a code to get in the gate. Here at school I'm in a big barn but there aren't any lockers, just two common tack rooms. I put most of my stuff in my tack trunks and lock those but there is no way I can fit my saddle in them so it stays out. The tack rooms do have locks on them, though and stay locked when no one is using them and it is also a gated facility.

My tack is so crappy that nobdy in their right mind would steal it.
    "Uh, if you're going to try that, shouldn't you unplug it first?"

My tack room doesn't have a lock, but you are all making good points. My "good" saddles have been in my house of late. Perhaps they need to stay there except when they are on my horse.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Theft can occur anywhere...even in a small boarding barn where everyone gets along...it's not those folks you need to worry about...

Crappy worn out tack is better than no tack...please lock it up..it will save you the hassle of dealing with police reports and even insurance companies....and the the replacements...oiiiii to try to find another saddle that fits....fugetaboutit...who needs the hassle as simple hasp and padlock can possible deter lots os folks

My mom was convinced someone had stolen her ancient rough out roping saddle. So, she put a lock on the tack room. Months later, she found the saddle at the bottom of the "junk tack" trunk.

You know you are a hoarder with too much stuff when you misplace a saddle.
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry

I board at a medium size boarding barn. Most of the owners are absentees, and there is rarely anybody there. All the pens have their own locker. Most of the people don't keep padlocks on their locker.

I do, just because I don't trust anybody and anyone could walk into the facility and start going through lockers. I have a simple padlock that you open with a key.
    Rebel Without Cash!

Yes, please lock it up.

Also, take pictures of expensive items like saddles, describe any distinguishing marks, and copy down the serial number. Keep that information in a safe place. (Do the same thing for your horse in case he/she is ever stolen)

Consult your insurance agent to make sure your tack is included on your insurance policy (if it isn't, find out how it can be included, or determine if it is included on the BO's policy)

Hope you NEVER have to deal with a robbery.

Yup.

At the one barn, the one with all the nicer tack, no one but me locks their stuff up.

But little things, like fly spray, vet wrap, liniments, etc all add up and if people help themselves to it w/o replacing it-- I will run out sooner.... not to mention be VERY annoyed. (I don't share well )

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Yes, please lock it up.

Also, take pictures of expensive items like saddles, describe any distinguishing marks, and copy down the serial number. Keep that information in a safe place. (Do the same thing for your horse in case he/she is ever stolen)

Consult your insurance agent to make sure your tack is included on your insurance policy (if it isn't, find out how it can be included, or determine if it is included on the BO's policy)

Hope you NEVER have to deal with a robbery.
    I now have something to do tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by olympicprincess View Post
    (I don't share well )
    Me neither
    Rebel Without Cash!

You and me both - every year I have my insurance agent over for tea and we go over policies and discuss future needs. I started a list and was embarrassed that I have not been as diligent as I should have been.

A theft is a helluva time to realize you forgot to write down a serial number.

In another lifetime, when I boarded, I used to get so pissed off that people would use the liniment or fly spray. I didn't mind that folks used it without permission, but geez - let me know or offer to replace what you used! It's just good manners. And the time someone used the last of the riding club's banamine and didn't let anyone know... well... that's a hanging offense. That banamine was needed for a colic and it wasn't there.