The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Breeder Ignores Emails Asking For Registration Papers

So how can this backyard breeder be pursuaded to either register the young horse purchased or send breeding certificate? Yes, registration was promised. But breeder in question has proved to be a lot of talk and not much action. Many people have had problems with this person who is a real twit

Thanks for any suggestions

Some of the registries take a long time to process papers. For example, Danish Warmbloods have to be presented at an inspection to get papers. As such, depending on where you are, you can have a horse turn four and just get its papers. Inspections are every two years with that registry. RWA also takes time. DNA and paperwork is presented in Septmeber, another meeting in January, etc...that Registry is run by the Ministry of Agriculture.

Just examples...not trying to make excuses for the particular breeder. It seems that the more off hte beaten path the registry, the longer it takes. I'm waiting on papers back from Russia, so I feel your pain.

Thumbs down

Hmmmm...

That's interesting to know. Thanks for the info. Didn't know it could take years in some cases.

But, no: This breeder does. not. answer. emails.

Has had a website up for a long time expounding the virtues of the stock & 'breeding program', and doesn't even answer emails from people asking about any horses for sale!

It would seem that the breeder's website is only a fancy "photo album" of horses that may or may not still exist.

<sigh>

So many posers & pretenders out there.

Beware of the nicest appearing websites.

Quote Originally Posted by Man O' War View Post
    Hmmmm...

That's interesting to know. Thanks for the info. Didn't know it could take years in some cases.

But, no: This breeder does. not. answer. emails.

Has had a website up for a long time expounding the virtues of the stock & 'breeding program', and doesn't even answer emails from people asking about any horses for sale!

It would seem that the breeder's website is only a fancy "photo album" of horses that may or may not still exist.

<sigh>

So many posers & pretenders out there.

Beware of the nicest appearing websites.
    What registry? RPSI takes FOREVER -- like 7 months or more. If you have a bill of sale you might be able to circumvent the breeder....

Also, depending on what registry you are talking to, you may be able to get a hardship registration based on DNA. Kinda depends on whether the parents are on file, and what registry it is. Have you called the registry and explained the situation? They might be able to help...
    One of the lessons of history is that Nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say.
    - Will Durant

I'm confused - did you purchase a foal/yearling?? what?? And the breeder who sold you this youngster didn't provide you with a copy of the papers when you purchased the animal? What does your sale contract state regarding the transfer of the registration papers?
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

I have a 9 month weanling colt that I bred. I have sent NUMEROUS emails(I've been asking for at least 6 months ) to the current and past owner of the stallion and I still cannot get a breeding certificate from them.They will not return my emails either...Anyone have any suggestions? I'm thinking of having my attorney send them a friendly correspondence!

Quote Originally Posted by Equsrider View Post
    I have a 9 month weanling colt that I bred. I have sent NUMEROUS emails(I've been asking for at least 6 months ) to the current and past owner of the stallion and I still cannot get a breeding certificate from them.They will not return my emails either...Anyone have any suggestions? I'm thinking of having my attorney send them a friendly correspondence!
    Have you called them? E-mail isn't 100%!
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Quote Originally Posted by rideagoldenpony View Post
    Have you called them? E-mail isn't 100%!
    Indeed!! Doesn't anybody know how to dial a phone or send a registered letter any more?

Email is certainly NOT 100% -- in fact, I would rate it the lowest on the reliability factor -- slighter higher than carrier pigeon, perhaps.

It can take up to a year or more to get papers/passports, depending on registry.
    Maybe try CALLING this person and asking them instead.
    www.spindletopfarm.net
    Home of Puerto D'Azur - 1998 NA 100 Day Test Champion
    "Charcter is much easier kept than recovered"

Agree - phone is better than email...good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Kyzteke View Post
    Indeed!! Doesn't anybody know how to dial a phone or send a registered letter any more?

Email is certainly NOT 100% -- in fact, I would rate it the lowest on the reliability factor -- slighter higher than carrier pigeon, perhaps.
    Actually, I think Carrier Pigeons are pretty reliable. Email, ranks right up their with paying your little brother a quarter to deliver a note to your crush.. most likely ends up wadded up in the (virtual in this case) trash can.

I would call and send a registered letter and I would copy the letter to the Registry that the Stallion is licensed with. Stallion owners are required to send breeding certificates to mare owners - so keep the registry in the loop.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

I have called them! and spoken to them and they keep telling me they will mail it.I send email to document that I have tried to contact them.Of course there is no way to know that they actually read what I've sent. I will call again and let you know what happens.

and I'll send a registered letter too!

Quote Originally Posted by Equsrider View Post
    I have called them! and spoken to them and they keep telling me they will mail it.I send email to document that I have tried to contact them.Of course there is no way to know that they actually read what I've sent. I will call again and let you know what happens.
    That is a bummer. I hope you get it soon.

For the OP, I am also curious as to what your situation is. How old is the horse that you bought? What registry is it? I sold a 3 year old as registered, who had just been inspected as a 2 year old. I needed to send in DNA and it took a good year to get the papers. I kept telling the buyer that I was still waiting on the papers, but it did sound a little fishy! But I've also seen ads for horses, some 4, 5 even 6 years old saying "eligible" for this registration or that. But I seriously have my doubts about that. If you ever buy a horse and the owner/breeder says it is "eligible" for registration, check it out with the registry first! And ask why they didn't register it themselves. I was just thinking about this because I have another foal who is "eligible" for registration. I just didn't get a chance to take her to her foal inspection. I will next year if I haven't sold her yet. But if I do sell her before, the breeding certificate goes with her in place of papers! Good luck.

I agree with Ilona (ISE). Send them a registered letter, with cc to the registry and the owner of the sire. Tell them you will turn the matter over to your attorney if you have not received the papers within 15 days. And follow through on it. Yes, it will cost you money to get your attorney to write them a letter, but the seller needs to learn that they have to do business in a professional manner.

FWIW, I would never buy a registered horse without withholding a certain amount until the original papers are received (not photocopies) Have this stipulation written into the sales contract, and make sure the seller signs it. This system has worked well for my friends and various clients through the years.

Wink

Phone idea won't work - breeder won't return phone calls, either.
    But sending a letter might.

If all else fails, I guess I could provide full details and 'out' the breeder on here...

I'd rather not do that as yet.

Thanks for all of the ideas

If all else fails, I guess I could provide full details and 'out' the breeder on here...
    I think that was your whole purpose in the first place!
    www.spindletopfarm.net
    Home of Puerto D'Azur - 1998 NA 100 Day Test Champion
    "Charcter is much easier kept than recovered"

As noted earlier: how old is the horse and what breed is it registered as? If it is RPSI on a horse that was presented this past fall then they probably won't get the papers until April or May of 09. However, they should still have a copy of the inspection sheet to give you if it is a WB youngster. Ditto for other registries that require an inspection......they should have a score sheet to give you.