The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A Sad Update On My Barn Kitty

After being so happy to have a really lovely barn kitty, we had to put him to sleep this morning. He was great for a couple of days and then started going a bit off color. So I took him into the vets yesterday and left him to do a bunch of tests, ect.

They called me this moring and said he has extreme renal failure and the out look would not be very good for him. I didn't want him to suffer so I made the decision to have him put to sleep.

I just assumed he would be fine so when the vet called this morning, I started blubbering on the phone. And then proceeded to ball my eyes out in front of the barn help who probably thought me a bit OTT for a cat we've only had for a week. And we have a filly in a sale today so my husband is up with her. Of course I called him and he started to tear up with goodness knows how many people around. Argghh!

Anyway, at least we got to spoil and love him for a week of his life. We kept him warm, dry, and protected. Just wish he was still around.

Godspeed little Happy.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Oh gosh I'm sorry! I am a total cat person and I know just how hard it is to lose one. At least you know that the last week of Happy's life was the best week he could ever have had being spoiled by you and your husband

RIP Happy kitty.
    Michigan State University College of Veterinary Medicine - Class of 2014

Chance Encounter
    RIP Tall Tales

I'm sorry, Terri. Renal failure sucks - our Aussie died from it about a year ago.

Aww... I lost my childhood kitty to renal failure too. I'm so sorry... even after a week you get so attached. At least he had a very happy week...

That so sucks, barn kitties are the greatest. Total kitty girl here. At least he had 1 good week with you.
    Proud Mama of a BOY rider

Awww, so sorry to hear about Happy. I'm a cat person, too.

(((HUGS)))
    A Merrick N Dream Farm
    Proud Member of "Someone Special to me serves in the Military" Clique

I'm so sorry. I too am a "cat" person so I know how they pull on our hearts. Hugs to you and you husband today.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

We had the same thing happen - got a great big mouser from the shelter and about a week later he just wasn't right. The vet said cats can get this condition from stress (ie being at the shelter) so we had to put him down.

<<Hugs>> to you and a great barn cat for all of the horses on the other side of The Bridge!

RIP Happy!

(((hugs)))) I'm so sorry about your kitty.
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

I just lost my beautiful Halloween kitty in Nov. to renal failure. It seems kitties are prone to it and there are alot of things that bring it on.
    Boo.
    Godspeed Happy.

aw - so sad! I am so very sorry

Hugs.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

I'm sorry. I'm a sucker for cats. I'm glad for Happy that he found you and spent his last days cared for and loved.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I'm very sorry for your loss; so sad to lose a cat. :[

I think it's appropriate to direct EVERYONE to this site: www.catinfo.org
    Dry food almost KILLED my cat and is directly linked to diabetes and renal failure; all cat lovers should read up about correct nutrition on that site.

I'm so sorry about your little happy cat. It doesn't seem fair but I'm sure he really was a happy kitty and he knew what it was to be loved.

I am very sorry for you. I am a cat person, too, and know how much it sucks to lose one.

RIP Happy Kitty.
    You should be comforted in knowing that at least for the last weeks of his life he was surrounded by a loving person.
    My husband and I have had to do this many times. I look at their passing with the thoughts that the kindness and love we showed them for the time we had them is what matters the most. Also that they did not have to suffer and went peacefully.
    It only takes a matter of moments to fall in love with a cat, dog, or horse, but they remain in your heart forever.

Quote Originally Posted by fromatox View Post

Dry food almost KILLED my cat and is directly linked to diabetes and renal failure; all cat lovers should read up about correct nutrition on that site.

Thank you for all the replies and thank you so much for this very informative website.

We brought him home this afternoon to bury him under an apple tree. I couldn't leave him at the vets for disposal.

My husband texted me and said, "Don't worry our other guys will take care of him at the Rainbow Bridge until we get there."

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

I'm so sorry.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

OP, so sorry to hear about your kitty. No matter how long an animal is part of your life, it's never easy to say goodbye
    Quote Originally Posted by fromatox View Post

Interesting website. There's so much info out there these days, it's hard to know who to believe. My vet has always recommended a dry food diet, and my last house cat lived happily on this diet until age 19. It's disappointing that all the canned foods on the recommended list cost more per day than I spend on my own daily human diet Certainly food for thought though!