The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default research shows horses match voices to faces

From the Times (UK), and presumably, the Department of Duh, "The neighs have it: horse can match voices to faces":
    A study of 24 horses from a Sussex stable has found that all were capable of recognising other members of the herd by their voices, providing the strongest evidence yet for vocal identification in animals.

The results suggest that the equine brain is capable of complex recognition skills that are important for negotiating the pecking order of the paddock.
    Uh-huh. Still, the article is worth a read, if for no other reason than to follow it with this brief commentary from the Times chief sportswriter and lifelong horseman Simon Barnes.

Inexperienced and uninspired grad student experiment 101.

Quote Originally Posted by silver2 View Post
    Inexperienced and uninspired grad student experiment 101.

Simon's commentary made me giggle.

Mine recognize the sound of my car, and can pick it out from the others that drive into the lot. Do they get to participate in the study?

But the fact that horses can recognise each other’s voices is as thrilling a revelation to me as the fact that the sun rose this morning.
    I like that line best from Simon's commentary
    Mine seems to recognize the car no matter which one I drive...I pulled up in my grandmother's car the other day and he came to the gate and stared me down until I got out. Explain that one...LOL
    But in all seriousness, I've seen it written that horses can tell people apart from their footfall pattern too.
    Last edited by HiddenStars826; Dec. 16, 2008 at 10:48 AM. Reason: I think my keyboard's broken- it doesn't spell properly

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    From the Times (UK), and presumably, the Department of Duh, "The neighs have it: horse can match voices to faces":

Uh-huh. Still, the article is worth a read, if for no other reason than to follow it with this brief commentary from the Times chief sportswriter and lifelong horseman Simon Barnes.
    Just shows you again how stupid most people think animals are - NOT! How would they ever survive in the wild if they were such simpletons as often assumed by humans........ Duh indeed

The commentary was the best part! Especially "...grooming each other’s un-get-at-able bits."
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

When in FL showing, mine would hear my car door slam (she could not see me) and then would neigh at me - she knew it was me the second I got out of my car. Perhaps it was the way I slammed the door (I was in a rental) or perhaps the way I walked. Strange, but she always knew it was me and not by sight.

Oh, I figured this one out the time I took great pains to make sure two mares (one of which considered herself joined at the hip to the other and went loony when separated) got to a show SEPARATELY, would be stalled at opposite ends of the barn, and woudn't get anywhere near each other. Took all of about five minutes for both of them to figure out the other was on the premisis. One whinnied, her buddy whinnied back, and all my effort was for naught. Tah-dah!! Instant loon.

My horse definitely knows my voice. If my trainer rides her, I have to be quiet and hide behind the wall. If she hears my voice or sees me--she starts trying to look in my direction and will blow off my trainers aids. It's really obvious, and part of the reason I loff her so much.

I'm thinkin' uh huh, and they had to do a study to figure this out when any good horseperson could have told them this to be true. Well DUH!?
    "Don't make be BEG dahling...
    you KNOW I won't do it!" Edna Mode

I love all these great revalations by "science" about cat, dog, horse, heck COW behavior that any person who actually cared for one could have told them (for free and in a couple of sentences!)
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

I remember back when I had my goat at the racetrack she was making all sorts of racket when I walked into the barn. One day I asked the trainer stabled next to me if my goat was driving her nuts with all that noise. Thats when I found out she didn't make a peep until I got out of the car. I don't know if she knew the sound of my car (the parking lot is all the way over on the other side of the barn next to mine) or if she heard/smelled me but apparently she heralded my arrival. She is still just a dumb goat though.

Then there was the time I was in the racing office and turned around to see her standing at the door! She apparently followed me all the way across the parking lot, up the steps and through the grandstand.

Yeah, my first thought when reading the subject was, 'well, why wouldn't they?"

I wonder how much money was wasted, errrr ... spent on this study?
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

This reminds me -- one day I was talking to a friend who I hadn't seen in a while. I told him I got a horse that spring. He asked me, "Does he know you? Does he recognize you?"
    Um, yeah. Would he have asked that if the animal I had gotten was a dog or cat?
    "Uh, if you're going to try that, shouldn't you unplug it first?"

I know that my two have distinctive whinnies, I can pick them out in a barn full of horses..

My gelding has more of a worried WHERE ARE YOU scream
    My mare sounds like a high pitched car trying to start..Nininininininininini

Default voice

My horse not only know the sound of my voice they know the sound of my truck and the sound of my footsteps. They also know what time I'm supposed to be at the barn. I've heard many reports that they start making whinny noises if I'm late.