The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Southern California Rains & Mudslides ~ How's Everyone Doing?

This is the first major rain we've had in years. How's everyone doing and especially those effected in the burn areas?
    "The best thing for the inside of a man is the outside of a horse" Lord Palmerston

A mile from the mountains, but I can't even see them. Amazing rain. We aren't in danger of mud slides here, but I might be in danger of seriously delaying a very important Christmas trip north.
    The all weather track isn't. We are back to sledding up hill here.

Not too bad so far. A muddy puppy exiled until he is cleaner & drier, but so far that's the worst.

LOL. I am happy for the mud and the rain.. it slows mine down. Two prissy dogs that loathe wet paws let alone mud!

Well, turns out a tree limb nailed my gutter so all the rain from my roof is coming off on one side of the house. That side of the house also seems to have a drainage system that must be clogged with roots and mud (it's been so long since it was needed ...). So, despite the fact that I live up high, my yard looked like Kristina had come through. Went to HD and got a pump and ran it for 3 hours straight. It pumps 1700 gallons per hour - meaning that I pumped out over 5,000 gallons of water from my yard. Better that than from my house.

I'm right by where the Foothill Ranch fire was *last* year. It was 30 feet from my front door and about 50 feet from my back door.

My cat is such a house cat ... didn't even want to step in any wetness I brought in with me. (Oh yeah, I gave up and went to HD after removing 500 gallons manually with the Shop Vac - I felt like Mickey Mouse in the Sorcerer's Apprentice - for every bucket hauled, two more came to take its place!)

Oh..., I'm looking at 3" of new snow and half of Massachusetts still is iced up and powerless.

Suck it up.

Err...ASB, you mean Katrina?
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I'm in the Bay Area. There was snow on Tilden Park (the Berkeley Hills) this morning! It's COLD! We've got low 40s on the flats and freezing temps overnight!

Default Chiming in from San Diego

My horse's stall flooded and she's been moved to a temporary stall. The property floods every year, so it wasn't a shock. Her stall is covered and the only damage is the loss of 4 brand spanking new bags of shavings. Just waiting for it to dry a little bit more before bringing in new shavings and moving her back in. The temporary stall is not covered, so she's standing in a big square box of mud

Ah, MUD! I have one flooded barn stall, and a lake that has filled the entire line of outside shelters. The flooded-stall horse is in the barn aisle, which is still reasonably dry, but he's pissed about his own stall not being available.

An interesting/probably dangerous thing that happened last night, right during the thunder (and lightening) storm: I was under the outside shelter that has a tarp for a roof, thanks to last week's horrendous winds, trying to reach a tub to feed hay in when lightening struck right above me. I heard a crack, the tarp glowed neon blue and crackled for an instant. I didn't know whether to dash out into the hail/rain or stay put, so I stayed for a minute until I figured it was safe to leave.

Someone said that the strike probably went to ground via the frame of the shelter, and that might be what happened. I was wearing rubber boots, but was standing in ankle deep water so that probably canceled out my rubber non-conductivity. It was an "Oh Sh*t" moment, but just more bizarre that panic making. The tarp was actually very pretty all lit up.
    Barbaro Cultist, Metabolic Nazi

Yikes EBO!! I didn't see any lightening or hear any thunder. You are darn lucky. We're supposed to be getting some thunder storms later this week.

My mare seemed pretty indignant about having to go back into the mud pit this morning after I took her out for a little walk around before going to work. She stopped and looked in the direction of her real stall as if to say "My stall is over there...you can't seriously be putting me back in there?!"

Well where I moved, the ranch is fine. But some of the trails are under water. Since these trails are new-I took a double take to see the trail sign half under water! But I was told it drains out relatively fast...

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Supposedly 2+ inches of rain at the barn within a few hours, but it doesn't look significantly worse than it does after half an inch or so. Which is pretty typical-once you get to 1/2 inch, more pretty much doesn't matter WRT the amount of mud and muck. Unless, of course, you live in a flood plain or downhill from a recent burn area.

I am beginning to think that rehabbing my horse is going to be like that movie Groundhog Day, as I keep repeating the week of 10 minutes of trotting every time we have a rain delay. Yeah - no indoor and rings generally shut down for three days after a rain b/c our dirt (base) is clay and doesn't drain too efficiently.

But I have electricity and the precipitation is liquid. Other than not being able to ride, the major inconvenience is that I was afraid to drive home via Carbon Canyon as I had visions of a mud slide enveloping my car.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Rain?? We got SNOW! Two inches of it out here in the desert yesterday, but most of melted away today after an icy night. Still lots of snow on the surrounding hills.

Pictures...http://picasaweb.google.com/maximus2244/Snow#
    Cameron Grace M5H " Cammie" 2006 Haflinger
    Dandy Lil Dunn Jet "Penny" 1998 AQHA
    RIP Roans Lucky Socks "Chevy" 13 May 2003 - 1 December 2012 my sweet buddy, until we meet again.

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    Oh..., I'm looking at 3" of new snow and half of Massachusetts still is iced up and powerless.

Suck it up.

Err...ASB, you mean Katrina?
    Well that is sweet of you.
    We are well away from any recent burn areas. We are having the normal mud and slush associated with any rain. My ring has drains so if I drag and seal it we can ride pretty quickly. I'm happy to see the hills become green again signalling the end of fire season.

My husband made it thru the Grapevine and to SF without any weather today. I hope for the same on Saturday.

Default Sorry findeight

Can't "suck it up"

This is a very serious matter and anyone on these boards that needs help during these times needs to let us know so we can help where and when we can and in whatever ways that are needed. Though your conditions are different than ours, yours are typical, where ours is not. When people and animals are plucked from flooded areas and people pulled from rising rivers and wild oceans, it's a life or death situation that no one can take lightly.

Here's the beginning of the current weather warning "Flash Flood Alert" through MSN:
    "FLASH FLOOD WATCH FROM LATE TONIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY EVENING... MAINLY FOR THE BURN AREAS... AND STEEP TERRAIN BELOW SNOW LEVEL...
    ..A STRONG PACIFIC STORM WILL MOVE INTO SAN DIEGO COUNTY LATE TONIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY MORNING. LOCALLY HEAVY RAIN SHOWERS AND POSSIBLE THUNDERSTORMS WILL BRING THE POTENTIAL FOR FLASH FLOODING. DEBRIS FLOWS WILL BE POSSIBLE IN AND BELOW BURN AREAS."

And yesterday my property management company delivered sand bags around my front door so the livingroom doesn't flood. Luckily I have a back door that is accessable in the rains.
    "The best thing for the inside of a man is the outside of a horse" Lord Palmerston

We are ok here. Wet and muddy yes, but not as bad as it could be. Watching the underground drains on the back acre since we cleared that hill behind us this year (have to clear it every so often for fire clearance).

We were predicted to have SNOW between 3 and 4am yesterday morning, and 24 degrees - I didn't get out of my warm bed to check Poured all day during daylight hours. We got 1.33 inches overnight last night.

Our "lake" made it's appearance in the arena for the first time in several years. Will be interesting to see what it's like at the end of the week after more rain. Some standing water in corrals, but not too bad - the drains held up reasonably well.

Yes, we need rain - we are one step from mandatory water rationing. But, we don't need three years' worth in a week, or even a month.

Snow predicted here, down to 1500 feet over the course of the next day or two.

Wishing the best to those in the recent (this year, and last year, especially) fire areas!

"Suck it up."

Not very cool. Findeight

The rain is causing terrible problems for some people who endured fire damage. Nothing to snark at.

Quote Originally Posted by Blinkers On View Post
    My husband made it thru the Grapevine and to SF without any weather today. I hope for the same on Saturday.
    I did that so many times. After a couple of times I couldn't stand it-just boring. I started taking the 101 but moved down south so now it is too far away and I have to fly...

He was supposed to take the 101. But he got to the 5 and went. In his crappy 4 cylinder car. He doesn't know how to drive in snow. He is Californian born and raised. I at least wanted him through the Grapevine during daylight. He did.
    The mud is scary here. People are looking at loosing their homes. In light of the east coast having to deal with snow, ice and no power and fixing fences.. I'd take that over wild fires and mud slides. That is total devastation. It is a very sad and dire situation.
    We really will get the years worth of rain in a matter of weeks. Most of the rest of the world gets to have precipitation throughout the year. And we aren't build to absorb that much water in a week or a month. It is devastating for many.
    Be safe everyone. When they say get out. Please don't hesitate!
    It's not raining too hard right now. Or yet.