The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Getting cigarette smoke smell out of blanket?

I bought a nylon stable blanket from ebay (discontinued model that I love). Was away when it arrived, and when I opened the box, I felt the need to fumigate my lungs. I don't smoke, but the last time I smelled smoke like that was in a company's "smoking room". If I'd caught up with the box sooner, I'd have sent it back.

It's now in a sealed blanket bag with baking soda refrigerator packs. Any suggestions on if/ how I can get the smell out?

White vinegar works wonders. I always feel like if something can get cat urine stench out, it can get anything out.

Spray it liberally all over the blanket--I haven't had it damage fabrics yet and I washed a whole load of various clothing with it, as well as spot treated wool rugs--and then let it air out somewhere. It may need a few treatments, but it should do the trick. Plus it's CHEAP so even if it does, for some god-unknown reason, fails, at least you aren't out a lot of money!

PS: It won't smell like vinegar once it dries, promise!!

Washing it usually works pretty good I've never had a problem getting cigarette smoke out of clothing by just throwing them in the wash with some detergent.

Otherwise, Febreeze works great too

Oh, that was so easy for my other hobby. Try restoring some antique radios that were owned by smokers (we need a puking smiley). Every time they're turned on and warmed up, back it comes. But so many people smoked back then that I just say it adds authenticity.

We boarded at a barn with heavy smokers and found that a few washings and airings eliminated most of the smoker's stench from stable articles, at least to the point that horsey scents covered it up.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Funny you should post this - I just received an eBay purchase today (non-horsey) that reeks so badly of smoke that my hands smelled after unpacking the box. Yuck! I left positive feedback but mentioned the smell. Now I know why people put "comes from a non-smoking home" in the description and you bet I'm going to look for that now!!

1 members found this post helpful.

Coffee grounds (store the blanket and use liberally in a big rubbermaid type container with a lid for a few days. Helps absorb the smell.

Newspaper will absorb the smell too... pack it away with wads of newspaper.

Unless you're planning to sleep in it yourself, I wouldn't worry overmuch. Used for its intended purpose, it'll air out and get covered in manure smell instead.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Agreed - plus sunlight and fresh air.

Thank you!! I KNEW people here would know!! I'll try white vinegar, coffee grounds, newspaper, airing, washing and Fabreeze. Not all at once - but if none of them work, I'll know I've tried.

For future reference, I'll also look for from a "non-smoking home". Though many smokers I know are very careful not to have their clothes/ house smell like cigarette.

Delicious strawberry flavored death!

Hang it out in the sun - even cold winter sun will kill it safely within hours.

I use to volunteer at the local Salvation army. I am HIGHLY allergic to smoke, second hand smoke and smoke residue. Every thing from smoking homes was pitched into the trash or sent into rags because it is such a health hazard! However sometimes things were so nice you hated to do that. Some of the volunteers that could deal with it would hang thing in the sun and Viola`! Scent free. I could not handle them because of the residue, but at least they smelled better!

I wonder if people realized how vile smoking is, how disgusting they smell and how sick it makes some people quite by accident if they still would imbibe?

Put it in a five gallon bucket add a bottle of rubbing alcohol and at least a half bottle of
    listerine fill with water (You may want to use a whole bottle of listerine) let soak over night
    swish the blanket in the mixture occasionally then wash it the smell should be completely gone.

I had canvas hay bags that reeked of mildew. I soaked them in the above solution
    the smell is still gone. (I got the haybags used this past september.)

I'm an antiques restorer and get stinky stuff like that radio ALL the time. For books and furniture, I like using coffee grounds in the drawers, after all, I get a fresh supply daily!
    Also, invest in a bale of cedar shavings bagged for pet rodent use. I stuff muslin bags with the cedar to store all my winter wool, refill the dog bed and de-fume stinky but unwashable clothing.

My theory is that adding stuff (Febreeze {more chemicals!!}, coffee grounds, etc) is not the best...but the best is to REMOVE the offending odor...cigarette smoke can really penetrate! Take the blanket to your nearest laudromat, use the biggest front loading washer, some good detergent, even fabric softener for the rinse, then air dry. This will really work!

Although, personally, I am having trouble getting rid of mildew odor on some of my blankets. A couple of years ago, the BM sent all boarders' blankets to be cleaned by someone who does it as a service, and she bagged them still a bit damp. I have tried re-washing, drying, airing out...and trust me, THAT smell will not go away. You will have no problem with the removal of the cigarette smoke odor however!
    lindasp62
    Founder & Donor/Account Advisor
    Brennan Equine Welfare Fund
    http://www.brennanequinewelfarefund.com/index.html

For smoke, mildew, cat pee......OdoBan....sold at Sam, or diluted version in Walmart. Using the diluted, put about 1/2-3/4 cup in the washing machine. If using the full strength (gallon jug from Sam's) use about 1/4 cup.

I had a blanket come in for clean and repair, which housed a dead animal. It got rid of the smell.

Hanging it outside for a few hours will get the smell out in no time.

I used to hang my coats outside for a few hours and it will be good as gold.... see- a few of my family members smoke and when the gathering is at my aunt's house- ummm its not good! So my clothes, hair, jacket gets all gross and eveyrthing.

Clothes go in wash.
    Jacket goes outside to freshen up.
    I go in the shower!

Quote Originally Posted by Woodland View Post
    I use to volunteer at the local Salvation army. I am HIGHLY allergic to smoke, second hand smoke and smoke residue. Every thing from smoking homes was pitched into the trash or sent into rags because it is such a health hazard!
    Well, you've certainly just guaranteed that I will never, ever, EVER as long as I live contribute ANYTHING WHATSOEVER EVER AGAIN to the Salvation Army!

Does national HQ know you're treating people's donations that way? Reckon they might LIKE to??

You really think a homeless person is going to care what it smells like, when they're freezing? I seriously doubt it. So I guess I'll just give my stuff away directly, instead.

Sorry, Salvation Army, but you lose.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

2 members found this post helpful.

After the nylon sheet has been left on a horse overnight a couple times- or simply used a couple times- the smoke smell will be a moot point.

Kindly let the seller know it was an issue on the off chance they want to change their ways. I'm surprised this is an issue on a horse sheet- a hunt coat, breeches or item of human apparal, yes but hardly a nightmare issue with something that will have hay, shavings, urine and manaure on it.

I've had one or two purchases from eBay arrive smelling like smoke. Also a few that came reeking of Febreeze. I can't understand why anyone thinks that stuff smells good . It smells like chemicals. I always look for "smoke free" home; I'm starting to realize I need to find Febreeze free as well .

I hang everything out side and give it a good airing out. Baking soda and coffee grounds are also good at absorbing odor.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.