The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug. 7, 2000
    Posts
    3,945

    Default Anky not going to Olympia

    www.anky.com

    is reporting that Anky hurt her back, had an MRI done, and is supposed to take it easy for a week. Anky will skip Olympia and probably also Mechelen, Belgium Dec.26-30.

    No idea if she can/will still give her Masterclass at Olympia.

    Age--never great for an athlete.
    Last edited by canyonoak; Dec. 14, 2008 at 10:29 AM.
    one oak, lots of canyons

    http://horsesportnews.wordpress.com/



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov. 20, 2008
    Posts
    20

    Default

    I moved from England this year and missing Olympia, it's a great christmas show. People will be gutted if she doesn't go. I hope she gets well soon!



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug. 7, 2000
    Posts
    3,945

    Default

    update: Not looking as though she will give her Masterclass at Olympia.

    from www.anky.com--

    the upside of hurting her back is that now she will be able to attend the Sportgala in Holland where she has been nominated for Dutch Sports(wo)man of the Year.

    Maybe the Masterclass is set different time/day from the Sportgala...
    one oak, lots of canyons

    http://horsesportnews.wordpress.com/



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec. 19, 2007
    Posts
    2,094

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by canyonoak View Post
    www.anky.com

    is reporting that Anky hurt her back, had an MRI done, and is supposed to take it easy for a week. Anky will skip Olympia and probably also Mechelen, Belgium Dec.26-30.

    No idea if she can/will still give her Masterclass at Olympia.

    Age--never great for an athlete.
    The doctor said a couple of weeks

    Maybe reining wasn't such a good idea after all



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov. 3, 2004
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    2,088

    Default

    That's sad. I hope she takes care of her back (I'm sure she will). I am really hoping to see her in Las Vegas in April (selfish me).



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec. 14, 2008
    Location
    Boring, Oregon
    Posts
    44

    Default Dear God!

    Anky Van Grunsven is a world renowned Dressage rider, most renowned for her ability to hire excellent sound and dubbing people to make her Kur performances look flawless!
    The modern KUR is an invention to let mediocre Grand Prix riders look phenominal and not be subjected to the Grand Prix standard, as the KUR is a Hodge Podge of the grand Prix movements, with emphasis on music, and timing of execution, NOT QUALITY OF MOVEMENT; nice Niche; guess it pays the bills!

    Anky does not TRAIN her own horse, she buys them, then schools under her coaches, hardly worth your adoration. It takes about a DECADE to train a Dressage horse to SCHOOL grand prix, not 3-4 years, sorry kids, it's all TV magic.
    when she brings one up from 1st level through Grand Prix, I'll be impressed, beside she's a sloppy lopsided rider, she always looks as though sh'e about to fall off!!,and she has, much to the glee of you tube!

    PS I am less than 2 degrees of seperation from the divine Miss A; most of you only get to watch her on TV.
    There is a reason she is moving on to reining, it's the next big thing! lot's of money in reining in Europe!
    Not much money in being a Dressage Trainer!



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov. 1, 2008
    Posts
    231

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mheathcurry View Post
    Anky does not TRAIN her own horse, she buys them, then schools under her coaches, hardly worth your adoration. It takes about a DECADE to train a Dressage horse to SCHOOL grand prix, not 3-4 years, sorry kids, it's all TV magic.
    when she brings one up from 1st level through Grand Prix, I'll be impressed, beside she's a sloppy lopsided rider, she always looks as though sh'e about to fall off!!,and she has, much to the glee of you tube!
    The above has singlehandedly ruined my week but simultaneously given me some hope

    Do you think she owes her success to having the best sponsors or having the ability to choose the best horse? Who in your opinion, since it definitely isn't Anky, is the best dressage rider with regard to technique?



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul. 23, 2004
    Posts
    947

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mheathcurry View Post
    Anky Van Grunsven is a world renowned Dressage rider, most renowned for her ability to hire excellent sound and dubbing people to make her Kur performances look flawless!
    The modern KUR is an invention to let mediocre Grand Prix riders look phenominal and not be subjected to the Grand Prix standard, as the KUR is a Hodge Podge of the grand Prix movements, with emphasis on music, and timing of execution, NOT QUALITY OF MOVEMENT; nice Niche; guess it pays the bills!

    Anky does not TRAIN her own horse, she buys them, then schools under her coaches, hardly worth your adoration. It takes about a DECADE to train a Dressage horse to SCHOOL grand prix, not 3-4 years, sorry kids, it's all TV magic.
    when she brings one up from 1st level through Grand Prix, I'll be impressed, beside she's a sloppy lopsided rider, she always looks as though sh'e about to fall off!!,and she has, much to the glee of you tube!

    PS I am less than 2 degrees of seperation from the divine Miss A; most of you only get to watch her on TV.
    There is a reason she is moving on to reining, it's the next big thing! lot's of money in reining in Europe!
    Not much money in being a Dressage Trainer!
    heath, friend, may I offer you a breath mint?



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov. 3, 2004
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    2,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mheathcurry View Post
    Anky Van Grunsven is a world renowned Dressage rider, most renowned for her ability to hire excellent sound and dubbing people to make her Kur performances look flawless!
    The modern KUR is an invention to let mediocre Grand Prix riders look phenominal and not be subjected to the Grand Prix standard, as the KUR is a Hodge Podge of the grand Prix movements, with emphasis on music, and timing of execution, NOT QUALITY OF MOVEMENT; nice Niche; guess it pays the bills!

    Anky does not TRAIN her own horse, she buys them, then schools under her coaches, hardly worth your adoration. It takes about a DECADE to train a Dressage horse to SCHOOL grand prix, not 3-4 years, sorry kids, it's all TV magic.
    when she brings one up from 1st level through Grand Prix, I'll be impressed, beside she's a sloppy lopsided rider, she always looks as though sh'e about to fall off!!,and she has, much to the glee of you tube!

    PS I am less than 2 degrees of seperation from the divine Miss A; most of you only get to watch her on TV.
    There is a reason she is moving on to reining, it's the next big thing! lot's of money in reining in Europe!
    Not much money in being a Dressage Trainer!
    Oh MY!



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2000
    Posts
    24,408

    Default

    Lots and lots of claims in that healthy post that are simply not true. But carry on heath, don't worry about actual facts, you're the new Heather!

    So you don't like Anky, welcome to a very big club. Some of whom are acting like children and mindlessly regurgitating misinformation and nonsense they've read on some VERY SPECIAL websites. If one doesn't like her, one hopes that at least the reasons aren't entirely juvenile and entirely based on 'mis-factoids' like the above, but actually related to having an eye for scoring and technical points of the performance, rather than disliking her big teeth or her husband's hair.

    FYI, on the freestyle, please do at some point attempt to acquaint yourself on the scoring. It may help in alleviating your anxieties about how it is scored.

    In fact, 'the greatest, most classical dressage competitors', including the Spanish Riding School, DO bring horses to GP in 3-4 years. Actually. Ahlerich, trained from start to finish by Reiner Klimke, nearly always held up by your ilk as 'the great classicist', the one reflecting the 'good old days' of 20 years ago when everything was so much better, was trained to do all the GP work by age 7 1/2 and was competing in GP at that age. In fact that's common. If it's Baucherists you prefer, they often claim to produce a GP horse from breaking to GP in less than six months.

    It is, in fact, quite common for dressage trainers to teach talented horses GP in 3 1/2 - 4 years and it is quite often done correctly, without holes in the training, without drilling and without stress, as almost a kind of play, and from what I've seen, most of the rides quite brief. The results are excellent in experienced hands. There is a lot of time in 3 1/2 years if one rides consistently without making mistakes and one has trained many horses to that level.

    It is also very common in the dressage world for the topriders to buy horses with some training already.

    Since no one can tell for sure what level a horse will enjoy and excel performing at, it makes sense to select horses after they have already had some training. They are, in fact, generally very selective, and the horse might have gotten each stage of its training from a different specialist who is known well to the buyer, and he or she may have dealt with many times in past.

    And it is far, far more difficult to bring an already trained horse from 65% to 72% at GP, than it is to train a horse from Training to Fourth Level or even GP. It is a very special skill. Some people choose to focus on specific parts of the training. Too, Anky has trained horses from start to finish as well as ridden skatty little THoroughbreds to international placings.
    Last edited by slc2; Dec. 15, 2008 at 06:41 AM.



  11. #11
    Join Date
    May. 9, 2007
    Posts
    491

    Default

    You're wrong SLC, Ahlerich was at least at 2nd 3rd level when Dr. Klimke started training him. Not to say he wasn't a brilliant trainer, but he didn't back the horse or put the first rides on him.
    IMHO, the initial training (lunging ,backing first rides) are so important and so difficult! It takes a special person to do a really good job, making it possible for the likes of Anky and other Big name riders to take the horses on.
    I think 'colt starters' don't get enough recognition...all the glory goes to those with the 'end result'



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2000
    Posts
    24,408

    Default

    Nope. It's not really possible to directly compare the levels to USA levels because the horses learn things in a different order, learning flying changes very early on, for example (check out the video of Isabel Werth training a baby 3 days from auction to do changes, they just do things in different order), and they start out going more with a connection, but the gaits and throughness are not there to their expectations because those take more time, in any case you can't say that because at 4 they are doing flying changes that they are 'doing second-third level' or a little more than American young horses owned by amateurs, because that just isn't a realistic picture of what's happening. In any case a horse that would go in a 2nd/3rd level show here, they wouldn't have dreamed of showing over there at that level til it was much further along, and showing at that level is a means to an end only for those people.

    It isn't uncommon for that level of person to buy partly trained horses or even GP horses, but in his book Klimke spells out very much where the horse was at at 4 when he was purchased for him (Klimke), and at that time said he was 'well broken in' (meaning correctly backed and started). The horse had a very weak back, the trot by international standards was not impressive at the start, and in fact, Klimke said the horse was kept in working gaits longer than 'any dressage horse' (hyperbole was somewhat joking, l believe). Actually they took it very slow with the horse and he was jumped at that time and given alot of basic schooling after they bought him, by Klimke's assistant and by a jumper rider, and by his wife....and the horse STILL was doing GP in competitions by age 7 1/2. In any case the progression with most of those horses is usually a very boring first year of doing very, very basic things in simple figures, and getting basics very correct (no matter what tricks they were doing when sold), then the rest of the training goes very easily and quickly, that sort of thing is very consistent no matter what trainer you would have talked to - almost anyone from Klimke to Theodorescu, you won't find those guys saying their horses are solid 3rd level at 4 1/2. By 7 or 8 the horses are still doing GP, and after 2 years of showing are developed in GP. Then they have a fair idea how the horse will do at the top levels and will decide to keep or sell the horse. Or the horse will compete a few years, reach his limit, and then be sold so that horse can educate another rider.
    Last edited by slc2; Dec. 15, 2008 at 07:57 AM.



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep. 21, 2000
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,008

    Unhappy Dropping like flies...

    The latest list of nominated entries for the CDI-W at Olympia only has 18 riders and horses. The previous list had 24 riders and 30 horses. Anky is still on the latest list so that makes only 17 riders. That's a pity because I have a ticket to the Freestyle on Wednesday, the day after I arrive in the UK.

    May be the organizers will get Katie Price to substitute for Anky ! She's going to be at Olympia pushing her new line of clothing.

    As an aside, psychology students should capture the group of posts above this one as source material for their dissertations. They are worth more as revelations of human personality types than they are for their content.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    But all the finest horsemen out—the men to Beat the Band—
    You’ll find amongst the crowd that ride their races in the Stand



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan. 30, 2003
    Posts
    2,529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mheathcurry View Post
    There is a reason she is moving on to reining, it's the next big thing! lot's of money in reining in Europe!
    Not much money in being a Dressage Trainer!
    Hmmm... the reining experience will help her expand her clothing & saddle line, explains the video reining promos she's doing without competing.



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec. 19, 2007
    Posts
    2,094

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by His Greyness View Post
    The latest list of nominated entries for the CDI-W at Olympia only has 18 riders and horses. The previous list had 24 riders and 30 horses. Anky is still on the latest list so that makes only 17 riders. That's a pity because I have a ticket to the Freestyle on Wednesday, the day after I arrive in the UK.

    May be the organizers will get Katie Price to substitute for Anky ! She's going to be at Olympia pushing her new line of clothing.

    As an aside, psychology students should capture the group of posts above this one as source material for their dissertations. They are worth more as revelations of human personality types than they are for their content.
    I think I know what you mean, but since I have most of these posters under "Ingnore" I probably missed something.



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan. 30, 2003
    Posts
    2,529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by His Greyness View Post
    As an aside, psychology students should capture the group of posts above this one as source material for their dissertations. They are worth more as revelations of human personality types than they are for their content.
    let's not forget Screen Names



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec. 14, 2008
    Location
    Boring, Oregon
    Posts
    44

    Default Well, someone who will speak up!

    Quote Originally Posted by slc2 View Post
    Lots and lots of claims in that healthy post that are simply not true. But carry on heath, don't worry about actual facts, you're the new Heather!

    So you don't like Anky, welcome to a very big club. Some of whom are acting like children and mindlessly regurgitating misinformation and nonsense they've read on some VERY SPECIAL websites. If one doesn't like her, one hopes that at least the reasons aren't entirely juvenile and entirely based on 'mis-factoids' like the above, but actually related to having an eye for scoring and technical points of the performance, rather than disliking her big teeth or her husband's hair.

    FYI, on the freestyle, please do at some point attempt to acquaint yourself on the scoring. It may help in alleviating your anxieties about how it is scored.

    In fact, 'the greatest, most classical dressage competitors', including the Spanish Riding School, DO bring horses to GP in 3-4 years. Actually. Ahlerich, trained from start to finish by Reiner Klimke, nearly always held up by your ilk as 'the great classicist', the one reflecting the 'good old days' of 20 years ago when everything was so much better, was trained to do all the GP work by age 7 1/2 and was competing in GP at that age. In fact that's common. If it's Baucherists you prefer, they often claim to produce a GP horse from breaking to GP in less than six months.

    It is, in fact, quite common for dressage trainers to teach talented horses GP in 3 1/2 - 4 years and it is quite often done correctly, without holes in the training, without drilling and without stress, as almost a kind of play, and from what I've seen, most of the rides quite brief. The results are excellent in experienced hands. There is a lot of time in 3 1/2 years if one rides consistently without making mistakes and one has trained many horses to that level.

    It is also very common in the dressage world for the topriders to buy horses with some training already.

    Since no one can tell for sure what level a horse will enjoy and excel performing at, it makes sense to select horses after they have already had some training. They are, in fact, generally very selective, and the horse might have gotten each stage of its training from a different specialist who is known well to the buyer, and he or she may have dealt with many times in past.

    And it is far, far more difficult to bring an already trained horse from 65% to 72% at GP, than it is to train a horse from Training to Fourth Level or even GP. It is a very special skill. Some people choose to focus on specific parts of the training. Too, Anky has trained horses from start to finish as well as ridden skatty little THoroughbreds to international placings.
    My dear, i have met, Anky several times, I have been present on more ocassions than I care to admit in the warm up ring with her.
    So as to your "quite Certain" assesment that I watch too much you tube, sweetie, if I talk shit, it's because I KNOW it to be shit! Those of us who have been to Europe and been behind the scenes know ANKY for what she is, a showman, and Kudos to her, so that out of the way, lets address your citation of the GREAT Reiner Klimke, whom I think is only slightly more mediocre than Anky, ok well maybe more than slightly, but hardly what "WE" call a master.
    A wonderful horseman, yes, talented , for certain, well known and read, yes, my hero, no.
    I would send my horse to the local Dressage HACK before I sent it to him.
    SO I am NOT impressed by your invocation of the great KLIMKE!!
    Dig deeper, for what impresses me, and the school I follow is much, much older!
    Please do not attack those whom you do not know, in this case, I know BOTH the big names you throw around, and have cliniqued with them both.
    Dropping names, sooo 1992!!
    Now lets address the original thesis of yours,that I/ WE utilize a common, you tube led misunderstanding of the Dressage world, despit the fact I have been to and schooled in Europe on 3 seperate ocassions, as I am sure many here have.

    So with this thesis of yours you assertain that a GP horse can be schooled in3.5 years, as was advertised by the aforementioned Reiner Klimke, and others, you say, well, read on my dear, dig up those references on the net, because they are untrue! and have been proven to be publicity stunts for some years now, do not delve into my world and pretend to know the way, I'll sniff you out every time!
    When you arrive on the scene with a horse that was broke then schooled to GP in 3.5 years, then you will have something to talk about, do not trumpet the ethereal successes of those you do not know, you will only succeed in looking foolish.
    Heath Curry, Owner/Trainer
    Hunter Crest Farms
    "A horse who is asked will win for you both, one who is told, will lose despite your best efforts!"



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul. 19, 2001
    Posts
    8,542

    Default

    I know BOTH the big names you throw around, and have cliniqued with them both.
    Dropping names, sooo 1992!!

    COOL! When and where did you clinic with Klimke and which Anky clinic were you in?
    Slc claims to have ridden in clinics with Klimke as well so maybe you rode together!

    How cool would that be?



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2000
    Posts
    24,408

    Default

    sure curry, and when you've done that too, do let me know.

    ps, love the drubbing of klimke, that should go over real big here. many here define dressage by either one or the other of two performances of his.



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul. 19, 2001
    Posts
    8,542

    Default

    ps, love the drubbing of klimke, that should go over real big here. many here define dressage by either one or the other of two performances of his.
    ps love how you make stuff like that up about people on the board !

    So, slc, which Klimke clinics were you 'riding' in ? You haven't mentioned them for a long long time. When you 'rode 'with him, did you think he was 'mediocre'?



Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 537
    Last Post: Apr. 23, 2013, 10:57 AM
  2. Ariat Olympia breeches
    By Bella'sMom in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jun. 2, 2011, 07:23 PM
  3. ariat olympia vs brittany
    By rockfordbuckeye in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Apr. 14, 2011, 05:54 PM
  4. Ariat Olympia Breeches
    By BREEDINGMANIAC in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Apr. 6, 2010, 09:44 PM
  5. Fun video from Olympia
    By Equibrit in forum Off Course
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Dec. 20, 2009, 08:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •