The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default live feed usea convention

I am SHOCKED and disappointed there's not an immediate thread on this.
    WOW. While we obviously can't see the video, which must be great, the comments from Lucinda have been absolutely RIVETING. Where are you, eventing america?
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Lucinda is fantastic. I am really enjoying this!

I cannot watch the live feed....cannot download any software onto these computers. I am hoping for an extensive discussion afterward.

Quote Originally Posted by retreadeventer View Post
    I am SHOCKED and disappointed there's not an immediate thread on this.
    WOW. While we obviously can't see the video, which must be great, the comments from Lucinda have been absolutely RIVETING. Where are you, eventing america?

I am assuming people are listening and that's why their not multitasking onthe Chronicle BB

Just that there always has been before.
    I should be riding!
    OK - Lucinda was asked, what is the one thing you would change today? (Other than the one-fall and your-out rule) and she said, "Leslie Law has developed a fun thing around his farm, where he goes out fence-hopping once a week on everything, just having fun. We should all do that."

Two sentences. A LIFETIME of thought behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by takeone4theteam View Post
    I am assuming people are listening and that's why their not multitasking onthe Chronicle BB
    Um yeah! But I just lost my feed. Anyone else?

SCFarm
    The above post is an opinion, just an opinion. If it were a real live fact it would include supporting links to websites full of people who already agreed with me.

www.southern-cross-farm.com

I was listening up until the video presentation. Was there a Q&A? If so how were the questions?

I did just lose the feed, did anyone else?

Default Raw notes here

Mostly from the q & a session, very raw

A horse must smile
    we do need to learn to set up

q one fall and out rule
    given what you said in presentation about training cannon fodder horses as opposed to generals
    does that on some lvel soften your feelings about the one fall and out? how do we keep safe while addressing bulk of yr presentation about horses.

back to 20s so bad about how they rode and jumping horses

horses are dangerous animals to be around

rotten society takes hold too we don't have to let it we can steer our sport we have to be strong
    no stats out ther eto prove the necessity

done as a sop bec we have to be seen as doing someothing

England - lot of research, absolutely nothing showed rule was needed

when are we going to overturn it
    new vp of safety on LUcinda's sid eof this

anything you could change in terms of what you have shown us - the conern aboaut losing the initiative
    what would you change? today?

Leslie Law developed a fun thing around the farm - fence hopping around his farm once a week having fun - we should all do that.

Tinkering with scoring in cross country rather than course.
    short dressage - best score 30, next 29, etc.
    stadium fastest round won got 30 points, down next etc..
    out of 60 on xc - opt or fastest
    got to take influence away of the dressage - can't lower standards, can't go backwards - but take influence away.
    Dressage horses - Better movers are slower moving - and do not think quickly

so to say unfed
    That I have no use for them, does not mean, that I don't know them and don't know how to use them.
    Caveman extraordinair

I lost mine, too.

I thought Lucinda gave a very good talk. I just wish that the course designers would listen to Sally O'Conner and start to make the lower level courses more inviting. As Lucinda said, "The horse and rider should come through the finish with a smile on their faces".

Maybe they are gearing up for CMP?

maybe they only had two hours and that's expired. they might have been thinking one hour lucinda and one hour mark but looks like its all over. sigh. these things must be very expensive or something to do. to only be able to hear two hours of a four day convention. and important people speaking, sigh, sigh, sigh. Glad for what we had tho.

Off to ride! Oh and I am going to jump a few too1

I do not have time to listen, just came in to warm uop, we have a major snow event going on, and I am busy to keep the ranch going.
    So if anybody can sum things up would be nice
    That I have no use for them, does not mean, that I don't know them and don't know how to use them.
    Caveman extraordinair

Wow, interesting thought!

Quote Originally Posted by subk View Post
    Originally Posted by retreadeventer http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...s/viewpost.gif
    If there's one person with the mileage to know that, it sure is Lucinda.
    Sportponies Unlimited
    Athletic Thoroughbred crosses for the highly motivated, smaller rider.

Ok, I'm back - rode three - had some time to digest what Lucinda said. Actually I am kind of glad I'm not there in person because there would have much so much to continue to learn and talk about the rest of the day, I think the impact would have been lessened.

I actually thought quite a bit about what she said while I did chores but not while I was riding, somehow sitting on the tractor and dumping manure, dragging the ring, mucking stalls, filling water buckets and tubs, throwing down hay, I was thinking of it the whole time.

Ok. My feeling is she said it's the horses job to jump. They need to figure out how. On cross country we shouldn't be telling them what to do. Our job is the line, the speed, the impulsion (engine I think she calls it), their job to get off the ground and over the obstacle.
    More cross country riding and riding out in the great open countryside, teach them how to pick up their feet and look out for their own legs, etc. When we take away the horse's initiative, we fail. (correct me, anyone if I am off the mark on what we heard on the webcast.) I did not get to see the video, I wish we could, perhaps it will be posted or available sometime. It sounded like a steeplechase race was included and the example must have been to watch the horses jump fences at speed out of stride. (Jimmy Wofford explained the need for this at his talk at the Area II T3D Weds. evening, about the importance of allowing the horse to learn to jump on its own at forgiving fences and it will keep it's feet underneath itself.)

She feels the sport today is as technical as it can be. There is no reason to go higher in the dressage or it ceases to maintain it's importance in the competition. The reason for dressage is cross-country. Change the scoring to reflect the importance of the phases - but do not change the sport.

This is an easy-say, hard-do sort of concept. I think she's right - but I don't see it being an immediate development at the upper levels.

So. My thoughts are - I wonder what the upper level riders were thinking while she was talking about how we have to sort of get all the kids back to riding cross country. When she said, "why would you want to take your advanced horse and let a green rider take it around preliminary? what would be the purpose? what would they learn?" I could just see the silence - they probably were all looking at one another and going [rolleyes]. Why? $$$$$$$$$$$. So back we are to the economic issue again.

The blog page with the info about the feed says it will be available later.
    ...if you can’t make it today, don’t worry, you can watch the video later on the USEA website. (If you don’t see anything on the website yet, don’t fret - it will be up in time!)
    I hope they get it posted soon-- I would love to see/listen.

wrt movement, what I heard Lucinda say was-

The horses at THE VERY TOP of the sport in each discipline are "good movers" AND "quick thinkers".

But once you get out of the top ranks, there is a tendency for the "good dressage movers" to NOT be "quick thinkers".

The two things that I wrote down from Lucinda's talk were-

We need to be training Generals (who think for themselves, but still take orders form the Field Marshall) not Troopers (who do exactly what they are told to do).

And
    The "wannabes" are the ones killing themselves.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

So. My thoughts are - I wonder what the upper level riders were thinking while she was talking about how we have to sort of get all the kids back to riding cross country. When she said, "why would you want to take your advanced horse and let a green rider take it around preliminary? what would be the purpose? what would they learn?" I could just see the silence - they probably were all looking at one another and going [rolleyes]. Why? $$$$$$$$$$$. So back we are to the economic issue again.

I am here in NOLA for the convention and did sit in on Lucinda's talk. That was the only part of her talk that I kind of took exception to and I'm sure if I had been able to speak to her that it was truly meant the way I took it (or maybe it was). But I disagreed with it.....I have brought up a couple of babies and competed one, sold the others. Now I'm fortunate enough to have the use of a horse that has done the upper levels and I have found out that my young horse left me with a lot of baggage.....so now I'll ride this schoolmaster and let him teach me what the dressage movements feel like and also let me get my confidence back that when I finally get around to galloping down to a fence I know he'll jump it.

I did agree with her about get the horses out and ride them on all kinds of terrain.

Tomorrow morning is Danny Warrington's talk on falling off. I plan on being there.

Cody

Default Copy of Lucinda's talk???

Lucinda's talk was really great. Is there any way I can get a copy of it. I couldn't take notes fast enough. She's a dynamic speaker with a super delivery.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."