The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Desperados

In the interest of starting an interesting and hopefully positive thread, it's getting to be winter and I'm doing a lot of hypothetical matchmaking on behalf of my four year old Bruderherz (Bolero/ Eisenherz)/Akzent II/ Polacca x mare. I'm liking the D-line for her.

Please tell me what you know about Desperados. I very much like the Wolkenstein II in the damline on this one. Desperados has won a lot of young horse classes, but is he a flash in the pan or the real deal? Has anyone here used him? Has anyone seen foals in person? Any info would be appreciated.

Here's a link to his page (with video link):
    http://www.gestuet-groenwohldhof.de/...ce4bcc5ad8f6cf
    Kendra -- Runningwater Warmbloods
    SPS Diorella (Donnerhall/ Akut) and EM Raleska (Rascalino/ Warkant)
    'Like' us on Facebook

Hansiska - I found him not so long ago and I really liked him as well. I was surprised that no one had ever mentioned him either. I liked his bloodlines and the videos that I saw.

Do you know if his semen is imported. I was looking at him for well in the future, none of my current mares are suitable.

Yep, A-1 Performance sires has im for $675/ 2 doses.

Here's their info page on him:
    http://a-1performancesires.com/Hanov...desperados.htm

Is this the first year anyone's imported his frozen to the US? I seem to recall them listing him as "new" but I could be misremembering this.
    'Like' us on Facebook

I really like this stallion and will probably use him in the future, but I only have one mare without Donnerhall blood up close! I have a friend who saw him at the 2004 and 2005 Bundeschampionat as well as some foals at the foals shows. She strongly believes he is the "real deal"

Here is what Gestuet Sprehe says about his foals...

"As a sire, Desperados has turned into a real bank. His foals are chic, have good types and very good movements. Absolute top foals were seen at many of the foal shows and auctions all over Germany. His son Desert Storm was the star in the lot of foals at the Elite Fall Auction in Vechta and was sold to Switzerland for the top price of 28,500 Euros. In Verden, a filly was sold for 26,000 Euros."

Hansiska - He sounds like a really good choice for your mare!

I had some Desperados semen that I tryed to breed my Royal Appearance/ Grannus mare with. Unfortunately she did not take.

I really liked his damline as well. I saw a video of a Desperados/ Rohdiamant colt a month or two ago, I really liked him!

I got my semen from www.classicsires.com/, they are great to work with
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

DressageDiva,
    Did the vet say the semen looked good post thaw?
    www.spindletopfarm.net
    Home of Puerto D'Azur - 1998 NA 100 Day Test Champion
    "Charcter is much easier kept than recovered"

I saw Desperados at the Oldenburg Stallion Parade two weeks ago. As a riding horse I must say he looks like the real deal. Desperados was doing work which looked to be the equivalent of PSG and doing it very well. He is a solid looking horse but well proportioned and muscled for his age/level of training. I have not followed his foal crops too much so will not comment there. But a very attractive, talented stallion from what I saw.

I have seen four or five Desperados foals in Germany, all black or bay. The ones I saw all had pretty faces, good types. I did not see them move so cannot comment on that.

Yes, the semen looked good post thaw

The mare was a maiden though, and ended up catching first time we used Fresh semen. Just bad luck I guess :/
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

Quote Originally Posted by railmom View Post
    Hansiska - He sounds like a really good choice for your mare!
    Thanks! I keep coming back to the D-line for her. Also, doubling up on Akzent II doesn't bother me. My short list at the moment is Don Primero, Don Frederico, and Desperados. I need to hear about confirmed pregnancies via frozen with Desperados before I'd truly consider him, though. Even though I like everything I see so far, I'm too cheap to risk it!

Kendra
    'Like' us on Facebook

There was one at the stallion liscencing this year in Hannover. He was one the crowd fav's it seemed..really pretty face, medium frame/build..nice movement. I was suprised he wasn't liscenced.

Can't go wrong with Don Fred though We love ours..and both are from a heavily linebred Absatz mare.
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

I saw only one weanling colt in Germany. He was a wedding gift from my friend to his new wife. The colt was tall, elegant with a pretty face and a very good walk. There was a bit more hind leg angle than I prefer. The trot was active in front with a good amount of knee to the gait mechanics and good shoulder freedom. The engagement behind could have been better. You can't base a conclusion on seeing only one offspring, but that's the only one I have seen by him...
    http://www.rollingstonefarm.com
    Large Oldenburg and Hanoverian breeding farm
    Standing Shakespeare RSF, Fhitzgerald, Sir James and the homebred stallion Dheputy.

What about the jump in these? Didn't see any jump on the video.
    Chris
    Ladybug Hill--Hunters and Ponies
    WWSD? (what would Suerte do?)

Jump???? If you are thinking hunters than it maybe okay. Is that why you asked?

Yes, hunters--don't need an Olympic caliber jump but a very good jump is necessary to look good up into the higher divisions. I wouldn't breed purposefully to something that didn't have a decent jump. Honestly, not sure why the jump ability would not be considered in any breeding animal.
    Chris
    Ladybug Hill--Hunters and Ponies
    WWSD? (what would Suerte do?)

You can look up his jumping scores from his testing.

I would expect that he could produce up to a 3'6" hunter, but would be rather shocked if he produced anything with "A LOT" of scope.

Has anybody heard of any frozen pregnanies and/or seen any offspring?

Not even a foal on youtube?

Quote Originally Posted by hansiska View Post
    Thanks! I keep coming back to the D-line for her. Also, doubling up on Akzent II doesn't bother me. My short list at the moment is Don Primero, Don Frederico, and Desperados. I need to hear about confirmed pregnancies via frozen with Desperados before I'd truly consider him, though. Even though I like everything I see so far, I'm too cheap to risk it!

Kendra
    hope someone answers in the affirmative as I too want to breed my mare to him
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

I did hear back from one of the big vendors (A-1). She said she's sold Desperados semen two two breeders. One now has a pregnant mare and one still has it in the tank.
    'Like' us on Facebook