The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best horsey websites for when you're home sick

OK, this December has really sucked for me....I was in San Francisco for 5 days for a meeting (which was nice, but meant no horse time). Then I come back last Tuesday, am really jet lagged and promptly come down with a really hideous viral gastroenteritis 2 days later. I'll spare you details but trust me, it was bad. I could hardly drag myself to the bathroom and back to bed, let alone go to the barn (or work). On day 3, I got a friend to take me to the school's student health clinic, hoping that it would be bacterial and they could give me some Cipro. Nope, it was viral, but the doctor did insist on giving me 2L of IV saline, since my blood pressure was low and heart rate was over 120 bpm. Apparently, I had been losing more fluids than I could physically consume orally. There has been a lot of this going around at school, lasting 5-7 DAYS, so I have 2-3 more days until I will hopefully be back to normal.

Oh, and did I mention that this weekend was supposed to be my xmas shopping weekend... And I was supposed to go on a date tonight with one of the few guys I've met on match.com that actually seems normal And I was invited to a friend's holiday party tomorrow night

I'm finally to the point where I can sit upright and look at a computer screen, which is saying a lot. And I'm just starting to feel a tiny bit better--I know this because I'm starting to really miss my horse. I haven't seen the little redheaded devil princess since last Monday! So COTHers, please cheer me up with your best horsey links. Funny, pretty, touching, videos, pictures, anything!

BES
    Proudly owned by 2 chestnut mares
    Crayola Posse: sea green
    Mighty Rehabbers Clique

You and I are in the same boat...

Of course, I'm all alone (except for my two doggies) because all of my friends are done with finals and home for the holidays. So, taking them out to walk is quite the adventure...I live in a condo complex and there are strict leash laws because we are right in the middle of the city. Let's just say I got a few 'warnings' for leash violations. I can hardly make it up the stairs. So, I just let them run down to the grass and they run back up.

No dates for me though!

Hope you start feeling better. I think I have a few more days of this ahead of me.

Back to bed I go!

I feel sorry for you.
    I had that bug three weekends ago and yes, you can't leave the bathroom, too nauseated to walk anywhere and make it back in there, unless you carry a container with you.
    EVERYONE here has had it, it is very infectious, my neighbor's 6 year old is just getting over it.
    Seems that it is only a 24 hour bug for adults, more like two or three days for kids and our local college students.

Here is something to pass the time and get a sick laugh, since you probably feel like that fellow now.
    Turn the music on and make it dance with your courser over it:

http://www.chezmaya.com/applet/valentin.htm

This one is good for hand/eye coordination:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~pontipak/redsquare.html

So sorry!!!

Well, I meant to PM you yesterday...can we arrange a Sesame Chinese run as a joint holiday/birthday present?

The best cure-all for all ills!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

On the "other" BB, there's this great story about a rescued horse

Hope you feel better soon

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post

Here is something to pass the time and get a sick laugh, since you probably feel like that fellow now.
    Turn the music on and make it dance with your courser over it:

http://www.chezmaya.com/applet/valentin.htm
    This is just the kind of sick humor I enjoy.....

Earlier today I went to wikipedia and looked up the electron micrograph images of the viruses most commonly responsible for these illnesses. I am a geek.

BES
    Mighty Rehabbers Clique

Default Hay

On my web site I have a thing you can click to read The Misadventures of Beasley. If you read the one about the technicolor weenie, it might make you laugh. I still laugh at that one even though I wrote it.

www.horsehollowpress.com and click on Beasley's Misadventures at the bottom of the page...
    Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
    One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
    Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook

Check out Unbridled by novelist Tish Cohen. She wrote it as a soap opera for Barnmice. If you link to the top link below, it will start you on your way. Then when you are done, click on Next Post and you'll get to her next chapter. I think there may be one or two posts of hers in there that are not Unbridled, but just click Next Post and you'll be able to follow along.

Chapters 18, 22 and 23 were submitted by Barnmice Admin, so I have added the link below, which I hope will get you to 18. Then back to Tish for 19-21, then back to admin for final chapters 22 and 23.

Keep clicking Next Post to move through the chapters. It sounds more complicated than it is, and it is well worth it. Tish Cohen 's first book, Townhouse, is being made into a big studio movie and she's a hilarious and totally fun writer. Enjoy!!

http://www.barnmice.com/profiles/blo...logPost%3A6786

http://www.barnmice.com/profiles/blo...ogPost%3A26708

Default enjoy.

http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Oh, and this isn't a website, but it is the cutest photo in the world, and I thought it might cheer you up. Be prepared though - it's a bit unusual to say the least!

http://www.barnmice.com/photo/photo/...58:Photo:48829

Oh gosh - I feel the need for a cuddle with that one coming on.

You guys are awesome! I knew I could count on COTH for entertainment

I'm doing better, still not 100% but at least able to consume solid food without wanting to puke immediately.

BES
    Mighty Rehabbers Clique

Glad that you are on the mend.
    I bet you will be like new, if very sore around the middle and minus a few pounds, by tomorrow.

What a way to lose weight, is it.