The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Walter W Smith Guest

Default Rick's Heritage Saddlery - West Chester, PA

I think the Rick's Heritage Saddlery is overpriced and the atmosphere there is less than friendly. Agree or disagree. If you agree, what is your favorite tack store in the area?

100% agree.
    The manager there (at least when I lived in the area) was always SOOOO snobby and rude. And one of the girls just had this "my s--t doesn't stink" attitude. I hated going there, but they were the closest to me. I'd prefer to drive a little longer to go to Dover in Hockessin.

Although I will say one of the girls, Megan, was an absolute pleasure to deal with, so when I'd go there, I would always try to find her.

I hated giving my money to Rick's.

Try Dover in Hockessin, DE, or order online from SmartPaks!

I bought a saddle from there and they were very/overly generous on my trade. The saddle i bought was the last year county made the extreme, and it was very reasonalby priced. I drove 2+ hrs to go sit in there collection, as it is still my commenly held belief to have the largest collection around.
    Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

I loved their closeout room.

hate giving them my money . but have to agree that their selection is spectacular. and i am a personal fan of their close out room as well. there always tends to be a plethora of 22/24longs! It is a godsend for breeches.

but their service sucks imo.

however, i am not on good terms with dover at the moment either. I purchased a saddle from them over 2 months ago and was told 6 weeks max, called 3 times over the 2 months to make sure all was well, was told just that, now it should have arrived 2 weeks ago, and still no saddle. today i come to find out it doesnt have a ship date until Dec 29! and i will not get it until feb 15th! however, despite this frustrating mix up, they are finding me a trial saddle to use until mine comes in. so at least they try to fix things when they royally screw up
    True love is taking their pain away and making it yours
    ~rest in peace momma (7/5/08)~
    ~rest in peace thomas (6/2/11)~

Default Below average

I have been there 4 times in the last 2 weeks, pity for my bank account that it's a hop, skip and a jump away! I have never had overly bad service, but I have had service with an attitude.
    I just ignore the little girls and get in and out. There is 1 maybe 2 young ladies I find quite nice and pleasant. If I knew her name I would post it. Overall I would rate them overall below average on the customer service area. Lisa

Their service with an attitutde has been a problem for a LONG time. It is their reputation (because it's true).

I also just ignore the little girls.

I live further north, just east of Scranton. Unfortunately I have to drive down to the Philly area for a "close" tack shop there aren't any in this area . Rick's is the only place I really know of. I know they have a good selection and I'm not going to waste my time and gas driving down there for a shop I've never been too and find out it's just a hole in the wall.

I love Rick's selection and have bought all my saddles from there. My other big leather purchases I also make at least after going there to check out what the product is like in real life. I usually have an idea on pricing before I go and while I don't mind paying a little extra I won't pay huge amounts extra.

Honestly I HATE sales personal at any store I go to. So I usually ignore sales people when there. I can't say I've ever had an attitude there and the only times I've ever needed something in the customer service area they were great!

Quote Originally Posted by blaster View Post
    I bought a saddle from there and they were very/overly generous on my trade. The saddle i bought was the last year county made the extreme, and it was very reasonalby priced. I drove 2+ hrs to go sit in there collection, as it is still my commenly held belief to have the largest collection around.

I got my county extreme from them as well. LOVE that saddle. -

Local (ish) options...

Rick's Heritage- Pluses are large selection and fun tent sales. Minuses are that the prices are only so-so and the sales associates are REALLY hit-and-miss. When I need something today, I always go to Rick's. They're most likely to have it in stock. When I want someone to help me, I don't choose Rick's.

Malvern Saddlery- Pluses are gorgeous stuff-- nicest around unless you go to Bevals. Minuses are the prices (astronomical) and some of the rudest sales associates I have ever met. I go here only to buy something I can't find anywhere else, and usually I'd rather just do without. I have to want something PRETTY BAD to go to Malvern.

Dover (DE)- Pluses are decent prices, large selection of many "common" items, free shipping of out-of-stock items from the catalog (and the catalog boasts one of the best selections anywhere), often the sales associates are very friendly and knowledgeable. Minuses are that I don't really relish driving to Delaware and if you want a non common item you are all but assured that it'll be out of stock and have to be ordered. Also, I hate this "some items on sale but not marked on the tag" BS, and that you have to watch like a hawk to make sure you get charged the correct price for each item.

Horse Connection- Pluses are a decent selection, nice sales associates (though sometimes they follow me around like they're expecting me to shoplift?!), some slightly different brands than Rick's. Used to love the consignment section and the kid/pony stuff at the Pony Connection. Minuses are slightly less upscale selection and location (I don't prefer to head that way when Rick's is easier to get to).

Horseman's Outlet- Pluses are largest selection I have ever seen in the US, super nice and expert sales associates, all kinds of brands in every price range, super tent sale, awesome consignment/sale area. Minuses are the distance-- it's just too far for me to make it there often.

There is also a place in Montgomery County, I am blanking on the name and I've never been. It's not too far from Our Farm and I've heard good things about it. They bought the Horse Connection and now own both stores.

Am I forgetting something in the area? I know there's Rick's and KC's in NJ.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Duh, I forgot Bit of Britain!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I had good service at Rick's Heritage (very patient with saddle shopping), but I didn't think the prices were very good. I didn't end up buying anything there despite the long drive.

All they do at ricks is gossip all day long . I usually do like the girl that deals with saddles (Megan maybe?) and a handful of the other people are nice. I hate the guy in the pony tail and there used to be a few other people I didnt like but I rarely go there since my farm is near Dover in DE! Granted I love the tent sale but they are just so over priced most of the year!

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    There is also a place in Montgomery County, I am blanking on the name and I've never been. It's not too far from Our Farm and I've heard good things about it. They bought the Horse Connection and now own both stores.
    You're talking about Bit of Heaven in Collegeville. They own both stores and will be opending up the Pony Connection again, strictly for consignment. There is also a consignment shop on Route 23 (just down the road) called Equine Exchange.

Way overpriced! The used saddles are 30-50% more than ebay (at least). Although they did sell my rock-hard out-of-style courbette derby for a decent price, even with the 20% consignment fee. (It was in great shape, though).

I typically only go to Rick's during the tent sale, when there are actually deals to be had. I do think they are often overpriced and I feel that their consignment saddles are often priced higher than what they are worth as well. (Although you can't beat the selection.)

I tend to like consignment type shops the best. The new Equine Exchange is good (It just expanded into the rest of the building it is in. Haven't been there yet since that happened.) I also love Cross Road Tack in Lebanon. Best prices around, and Steph has always been great about keeping an eye out, finding, and ordering things that I am looking for. If you are a regular customer she remembers what you like and will suggest new items when they come in.

A bit further from that area, but I also like StableMart in Glen Rock (York Co.) and Tackroom Treasures in East Berlin (Adams Co.)

I can't imagine having all of those huge tack stores in driving distance!

Definately waaaaaay overpriced. I browse/check stuff out at Ricks and buy someplace else! The new Ricks Super Store in Cream Ridge is very disappoinitng. Not only are the manager and salespeople clueless about the products they sell, the store just caters to the weekend warriors and all the yuppy "horse people" that migrated into the Cream Ridge area from who knows where. I compare it to PetsMart, trendy, with lots of stuff you like to look at but not much you can really use. I would never try to go there are get fitted for a saddle or show clothes. No one knows anything!

They have the best selection of used saddles I've ever seen. My last saddle came from there (used), and I was very happy.

Their prices are on par with places like Bit O Britain's store, IMO. They're having some great sales right now -- definitely worth waiting for.

For stable supplies, it's hard to beat internet prices.

I live about mid way between Dover and Bit of Britain and Rick's is about 35 minutes. I used to shop in the old store at BoB but don't find as many things I want in the new store, not sure if it's me or them. I usually end up shopping at Dover and really miss State Line, they had some good deals. But at least we have Tractor Supply for barn supplies and wormers, etc. The local feed store Oxford Feed has more stuff than before too and Stoltfuz Feed in Gap has some stuff but mostly they have barn supplies, not so much tack, maybe halters and some lead ropes. I've never bought a new saddle except for a Wintec and my husband bought that one at my request. Now I wish I got something else because I never used it.

I've gotten mixed service at Rick's but lately just a phone call, they've been very helpful and when Dover didn't have everything we needed Rick's did. It's good to have more than one store to shop in. I'm not real big on traveling far. I grew up in Delaware and my sister lives near Dover so it's on the way to her house or on the way to somewhere and the best thing about Bit of Britain is that it's so close to Neuchatel Chocolates! LOL Ok, I know that has nothing to do with tack shops but if you are in Oxford at least if you're disappointed with what you find there you can drown your sorrows in the best chocolate in America! Outback is in Oxford and Dansko is just one town over in Jennersville, near West Grove. It's not all bad. And while in the area there's The Whip for lunch and you can always run to Dover if you're at BoB, they are just over 20 minutes apart. Horse's Unlimited has a limited stock but it's an attractive store not too far from Oxford in Rising Sun, MD. I think shopping in all these stores it's a pot shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter W Smith View Post
    I think the Rick's Heritage Saddlery is overpriced and the atmosphere there is less than friendly. Agree or disagree. If you agree, what is your favorite tack store in the area?
    The staff I met in the store was friendly, the store manager is not.......SHE is a pill to deal with. (Unfortunately more often than not I have ended up with her...) I do like to go there when they have their sales.......the regular prices are steep but the sales are good. They also have a great selection of used saddles to peruse when needed.
    For "really cool but expensive stuff" my favorite is Malvern Saddlery. For Best Price on everyday stuff: the Amish tack shop..Village Harness.......on Newport Road in Intercourse. VH also does nice work on leather repairs at a modest price.