The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking Sally Cousins finally has an up-to-date website!

It's not fancy, but it's functional and has lots of great photos. I've been working on it for the past few months, and with help from vwbug, I think we've put together something that will be useful and enjoyable to read. It's been a really fun project, that's for sure.

Check it out at www.sallycousins.com.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I think it's perfect. Just needs a little bit of color but I like the basic and simple feel of it.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I think my favorite bit is the "My Horses" page where Sally describes each of her horses. Their individual personalities (and Sally's sense of humor) really comes through.

Good job! Sally is one of the nicest people in the business.

It looks great! I love all the big, pretty pictures. The page for each horse is great - I might add the links to the other horses on top so you don't have to click back to see the next one.

Also, this paragraph about her training philosophy is so spot-on. It's very true to what I've experienced in lessons with her.

[SIZE=2]"With all the work I do with students, and even in my own training, safety is
    always my main concern. I always keep in mind that if everyone has come back in one piece it has not been a bad day. From there, however, confidence and competence of the horse and rider come next. I do think that both of these things need to go hand in hand. It is no good if someone is confident without the skill to support it. I also teach a lot of riders who are quite capable but not overly confident. I work with each partnership to try to close that gap. All riders get nervous--how to handle nerves takes practice. I try to teach riders how to feel and recognize when things start to go wrong and teach them how to correct it before it gets worse. There is usually a pattern to a horse struggling with something in its work. It is our jobs as riders and trainers to find that pattern and work on it. Over time with good training horses tend to get better. When we are at an event, however, we need to recognize our horse’s strengths and weaknesses and plan our ride around them.
    [/SIZE]
    "
    "A canter is a cure for every evil." -Benjamin Disraeli

Thanks for the kind comments, guys. It's a work in progress, so I appreciate your suggestions. Circuspony, I put the links to each horse at the bottom of each individual page, but you must not have seen them. Perhaps I should move them to the top...that would be an easy fix.

Would you and Sally be interested in posting the breeding of her horses? For us lurkers from the Breeding Forum, it is always interesting. Otherwise the web site is very nice. God Job!!
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

I've had a couple great opportunities to chat with Sally at events about her training and riding philosophies and thoughts about current events and with her mom about the horses and their breeding. Very cool gang, including all those great dogs! They should be on the website
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

You can see pics of all the dogs on the gallery page: http://www.sallycousins.com/Gallery2.html
    There's also a group shot of them here: http://www.sallycousins.com/images/s...ch_bassets.jpg

I'll ask her if she can expand on the horses' breeding a bit, too. Thanks for the suggestions!

Great Job, I like the simple site and Sally is great!
    Cindy

Make any mistakes going forward!

I love the opening picture!! good job!

I think the website is great, agree w/ one of the other posters maybe a bit more color - instead a white background - use a color - maybe her barn colors. but nothing too dark.

I have one of those French "bassets" as well, needless to say we were at an event and some woman came riding up to me = just as nice as she could be to talk to me about my dog.. I felt at that moment if she was not riding and we could have chatted longer, I would have made a friend for life - she is just that kind of a person. I would ride w/ her in a heartbeat if I could

Smile

I've updated Sally's home page with a link directly to her recent news and updates from Aiken. www.sallycousins.com

For those on Facebook, you can check out her fan club here: http://www.facebook.com/p.php?i=1423...R4XM5GBGYF26WV

Very nice Spoiled! Of course why I would torture myself with the latest and greatest news from Aiken whilst I turn into a frozen popsicle in PA, is beyond me.

Fantastic site! Lots of WOW pictures of the 2008 Lady Rider of the year!

Thanks for the link for the news too!
    ---
    WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above, as apparently my corgis have learned how to type.

As a Mac user, I noticed that in some places, the site is not Mac/Safari friendly.On Join Team Cousins, the main photo overlaps the text on the side, and it does this on other pages as well. On the Horses for Sale page, the aqua border around the blocks isn't visible in Safari. On the Meet Sally page, the photo of Robbie at Fair Hill peeks out on the left side of the page behind the little photos. I can see that it looks COMPLETELY different on Explorer, but there are more of us Mac users than you might think!

Dang! Thanks for that feedback, Doberpei. It sounds like I'll have to consult with some computer geek pals to see if I can figure out how to fix that. I generally use Firefox, and I check things in IE, but Mac's are different territory for me. (I have this feeling I'd be hooked in an instant, if I tried one, though.)

The site is quite splendid on *this* mac. Great job on the update. If that web site doesn't make you want to go to Aiken and work with Sal, NOTHING will!
    I am heading to Aiken in 3 weeks and hope to see alot of Sally!!

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Please take this as constructive criticism, but the text on all the pages needs some editing and polishing. It doesn't seem as professional as she is.

LOVE all the pictures with great action shots. It is slow loading on dial up, but that's because of all the great pictures. They are definitely worth the wait.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Hmmmm - I'm on mac/safari too and everything is where it should be.