The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default TuffRider Blankets & Hug Blankets - What do you think of them?

I am sure I am driving everyone crazy (myself included!) on this blanket quest for the critter! Truly I love the Pessoa blankets and turnout sheets. However, for reasons not worth mentioning, this critter won't be getting one. So . . . now comes the choice of what to get instead. I have been checking out a whole bunch (HorseWare, Schneiders, Weatherbeeta, etc.) and am now inquiring as to what you all think of the TuffRider Blankets and the Hug Blankets?

Thanks!

And I promise this search will end soon - it has to - I have to get something soon!

With the right horse, I think the Hug blankets could be okay. My guy has big shoulders and prominant withers, so I decided to try a Hug. Because of the stretchy mechanism, it was going to pull on the withers and also then pulled at the hip strangely. Fit over his rump strange too. He does not have a big butt . If I went up a size, the fit up front would have been even worse.

If your horse isn't super hard on turnouts, Hug is making a version for SLT that is cheaper, but only 600 D I think.

I too am on a blanket quest! I hate buying blankets!

My big boy Bodie wears Hugs! He is big and really hates something tight on his chest. The hugs work the best. My Draft X is now in need of a blanket after being body clipped for the 1st time. I tried the Hug on her and it fit much better than the blankets I have been borrowing. She is long between the wither and the point of her shoulder so the hugs accomodates that.

I will probably get one from Dover or SLT! They have worn well in general and I love them. Some Hug blankets do tend to slip to the side, not sure why!
    Steph

http://community.webshots.com/user/stephanne014

Rerider/Haydunker Clique

RIP Barbaro, you were my hero!

My Hug flysheet slips to the side terribly.

It has not caused any rubs on my mare, but the fit isn't too stellar. It's a shape/style that will work very well for some horses, but not well (or even at all) for others.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Hug blankets are OK. They're relatively sturdy and the neck dealies are easy to fix if your horse kills them. I HATE tuff rider blankets with a passion, especially those stretch ones. They're the worst blankets I've ever dealt with. They last about a week if you're lucky and they're a bizarre fit for most horses.

I find the tuffriders of much less quality and they run short, on the sides.

We had a horse here with the new hug and it honestly needs another clip at the shoulder to help to stop the bib part from flapping in the wind. His kept gapping a lot no matter how we tightenend it.

I personally stick with the Other lines, you can get some great deals this time of year on clearance or look for individuals to be selling. On our farm we have to fit horses from weanlings to big draft crosses to a few 18+ hand beasties. They all do much better, in fit and quality with the brand name ones.

A gelding at the barn I work at is dressed in a TuffRider. I like them. The blanket feels sturdy, looks nice on him (I know, I know, I just hate to see a horse look ugly in a blanket though!) and is still in one piece in a field with a 2yo mouthy gelding. I haven't had a chance to evaluate it past that.

The horse is a narrowish, smaller (15H?, 15.1H?) Connemara gelding.

Quote Originally Posted by classicsporthorses View Post
    We had a horse here with the new hug and it honestly needs another clip at the shoulder to help to stop the bib part from flapping in the wind. His kept gapping a lot no matter how we tightenend it.
    One of my clients just switched over to a Hug as the Rambo kept giving her horse rubs. I agree with the above post.....there needs to be a clip or velcro to keep the flap down! The horse has no rubs but when it is rainy and windy, his chest ends up soaked.

I had a TuffRider fly sheet. It completely FELL APART in less than 24 hours. And my mare isn't even hard on her clothes.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Hugs are ok, but I will never buy one. I have a boarder that has a few and the snaps tend to get caked with mud and stuck when they roll.

a guy at my barn bought that tuffrider stretch sheet - that's got to be one of the biggest wastes of money i've ever seen. Within a day, it had an enormous tear in it. He kept it and used it as a backup sheet, but i used to hate putting it on his horse. That little strap at the top of the chest closure was really hard to fasten and unfasten, especially once the velcro got dirty.

I use hugs on my arab - they're the only thing i've found that doesn't rub his chest. They fit him quite well, but he's pretty narrow in the neck and shoulders. My mom had one for her warmblood, and she had the gapping problem others have noted. For bigger bodied horses like my retiree, I prefer weatherbeetas.
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

My TuffRiders cannot be used in rain or snow, because my mare always gets wet in them even though they are supposed to be waterproof.

The Schneiders, on the other hand, are phenomenal. I have two of the "Teknofleece" lined ones and love them! In fact, my girl was outside all day in pouring, cold rain yesterday (she didn't go into the shed until late in the day haha) and was completely warm and dry when I brought her in. :-) I also have one that was my late mare's - I gave it to a friend's horse and he was warm and dry in it last night.

I hate putting the Hug ones on and off...I've never owned one, but other boarders have, and they were a pain to put on and take off IMHO.

I've also had good luck with the Horseware Amigo line.
    In loving memory of Chutney (1977 - 2008)

My newest book, "Sandsablaze," available now!

I bought a TuffRider turnout for a gelding of mine that is very very easy on blankets. It lasted him 2 days. Seriously.

I would NEVER buy another one. A simple grab from a herdmate was enough to shred it.

I have a Hug rain sheet that I love... I think how they fit really depends on the horses body style, one of those things I think you have to try to decide on.

LOVE my Weatherbeetas and Horseware blankets - NEVER a problem.
    True North Dressage
    Select Cheval Canadiens for dressage and eventing
    www.TrueNorthDressage.com

Hug blankets are ok but the sheets are horrible for slipping. Mine have stayed waterproof, however and have stood up very well. And they don't rub my 2 that have had them and were rubbed by everything else.

My filly, who is NOT tough on blankets, broke the snap and tore a huge gash in the side of her blanket in less than a week! I didn't have that problem with any other blankets. I also agree with other posters about the apron/bib-needs velcro or a snap to keep it down.

I love my Hug blanket from Dover. I've never had any of the problems as mentioned above. I think it is all about finding the correct size!

Had one for another horse and it was not the right size and fit her horribly.

I love the freedom in the neck region and knowing they can reach down and it doesn't get tight in the neck.
    MnToBe Twinkle Star: "Twinkie"
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...wo/009_17A.jpg

Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

I love the way the Hug blankets fit, yet on 2 of the 3 Hug blankets I've owned the cheap plastic snaps have broken within a couple of weeks, and this is on a horse that only wore them in his stall, and is easy on his blankets.

I've just bought 3 Schneiders, and love them.
    Hillary Clinton - proven liar, cheat, traitor and defender of rapists! Anyone but Hillary 2016! https://www.facebook.com/AntiHillary2016

I love the fit of the Hug, but the fly sheet I had wouldn't stay centered. The plastic fitting broke in a week, and that is the last blanket I buy that has plastic fittings.

I am boarding a horse who whose owner bought a Schneider's turnout medium weight for him, and I wouldn't ever buy one of those. The drop isn't nearly deep enough and the whole blanket just generally looks skimpy, although it is long enough for this horse.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com