The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What "old wives tales" or homemade mixtures/treatments have you had success with?

Just finished reading through a few threads with some interesting homemade remedies and "old wives tales". Thought I would see what kind of knowledge others had to share with these unique mixtures....I'd love to hear what kind of homemade treatments people would like to share. Good experiences? Failures? Spill it all please!

Come on guys.....anything...at work and severly bored!!

Desitin-Furazone-NeoPredef Powder

I swear the miracle cure for scratches fungus

Sugar and honey are very good for wounds. They both help keep proud flesh from forming.

50/50 mix of green Listerine and baby oil. Mix in spray bottle. Perfect for any dry, itchy patches (blanket rubs, tail rubbing, etc).

yeah I've also heard that Witch Hazel is good for tail rubbing

had a friend come up with this outrageous mixture for coat conditioning:
    The only ingredients I can remember is Mayo and Aloe right now though

anyone heard or had success with something similar???

Jock Itch cream + foot fungus cream for scratches.

Jock Itch cream + foot fungus cream for scratches.
    Those are pretty much the same thing. Just don't use the aerosol foot spray on the tender bits. I'm told this is quite unpleasant.

I'm trying to think of anything that I've honestly felt was really GOOD, beyond just giving me the feeling of doing something. Hmmmm. Nope, can't think of any. Most of the types of things that people use "old time remedies" for are the sorts of things that get better on their own. So my favorite remedy, I guess, is "benign neglect".
    Click here before you buy.

Default Hay

Don't try this at home but I used to work for a woman in the 1970s who was 70 at the time and she used to use black coffee and whiskey for colics.
    Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
    One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
    Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

The most bizarre sucessful home remedy for a horse that had an impaction for 7 days - strong black coffee, cheap red wine and prune juice.

The horse was slated to be euthanized the next day, so the barn staff figured, what the heck, let's give it a shot.

The horse pulled through, after being on IV treatments for 7 days - and the witches brew above saved him.

Sugardine for abcesses, sugar and betadine combined to a paste.

For raw itchy bug bites - Horseman's Dream Veterinary cream + Cortizone 10 + Swat.

Now this is from 'way back before most of ya'll were born.

The old cowboys used to put coal oil mixed with mothballs on sores. Now that sounds painful to me, but they did it.

What do you reckon that was all about?

Preparation H was the only thing that cured a case of scratches on one horse here. An old timer suggested it and I poo-poo'd the idea. After all my other remedies didn't work, I gave it a shot. Three days and it cleared up.

The horse pulled through, after being on IV treatments for 7 days
    Think maybe that might've helped?

Preparation H is GREAT for defibrillator burns. Apropos of nothing, but at least I remembered one "home remedy"!
    Click here before you buy.

Default Scratches, rain rot

Listerine + baby oil + hydrogen peroxide (works wonders)

An old Saddlebred trainer I used to work for used bacon grease on this horses hooves, instead of a purchased hoof dressing (like Hooflex).

He always joked that it worked great, except the dogs would run around licking the horses heals!
    Illegitimis nil carborundum - "Don't let the bastards grind you down."

bacon grease and black pepper on wounds to prevent, get rid of proud flesh.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

30cc each of DynaPro and DynaSpark has stopped SEVERAL gas colics in their tracks.

One, I blew the needle off the syringe trying to give banamine--squirted the precious ONE dose I had into the air... Horse was very dramatically in pain (gas most likely) convinced he was dying. I came into the house, made up the 60cc syringe and dosed him. Within 10 minutes he was more comfortable.

I reach for the mix *before* banamine now.

When in a pinch, I use 1/2 syringe "OTC Jug" and 1/2 syringe Probios. I don't think it's quite as good, but it does the trick.

The DynaPro/Spark combo, however, is miraculous.

Miracle Clay for ulcer prevention. Had a Trak mare who came with awful ulcers from 18 mos stall rest/antibiotics/anti-inflamms. Would go off her feed if you looked at her sideways, even two years of free-choice forage later. A syringe of Miracle Clay, she'd be back on her feed. I finally began dosing it prophylactically the last time she boarded for breeding AI. And always a the first gnashing of teeth. Made a huge difference.

Non-pastuerized cider vinegar and honey, 50/50 for human sore throats threatening to be worse. Supposedly can kill the strep virus--and I believe it because I used to get strep ALL the time (though Doc's said 'adults shouldn't get strep.') Drink that nasty concoction at the first sign, along with a whole bottle of no-sugar-added grapefruit or orange juice, and usually the next day or two I'm back to fine with no flu. <knockingwoodmadly!!!>
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Oops, forgot... but merits it's own post anyway.

10 parts Extra Virgin Olive Oil to 1 part Tea Tree oil. The best TTO you can buy. This is AMAZING for wounds of all sorts, and anecdotally, for even tumors.

Stallion tried to cut off his LH a few years ago. You could see the tendons. I remember on the way to town for more supplies (guaze, vetrap etc.) Praying he would be breeding sound. Just let him LIVE... After the first cleaning/flushing with betadine, the only thing I ever used on it was the TTO/EVO. Sometimes in a syringe for flushing.

NO proud flesh, INCREDIBLE healing. Not only healed visually, but sound. He's got a little 'ache' and can predict the weather along with me, but has advanced two levels since then.

I use it for almost everything now. Miraculous stuff, I'm not sure why it's not more well known.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Quote Originally Posted by pintopiaffe View Post
    30cc each of DynaPro and DynaSpark has stopped SEVERAL gas colics in their tracks.
    What the hell are dunapro and dynaspark????