The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How to wash/clean nylon halters

How do you wash your nylon halters? Throw it in the wash? Spray it with the hose? How do you get a filthy, dirty "deep down dirty" one clean? Thanks.

I let it soak in a bucket of hot, soapy water, then scrub with a scrub brush, then rinse repeaedly.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

soak in the sink with some detergent, maybe scrub with a nail brush if I have to, then go through a wash cycle with some sheets or something to cushion the poor washer from all the metal parts.

the secret is not letting the dirt get too bad before washing. The horses that wear halters in turnout have two halters, we switch them out as needed or once a week.
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

This is the only way I get my nylon halters clean:

Bucket of very hot water...more like a 5L pan....I work in surgery...I get the handy-dandy blue basins....wonderful for this......anyways...and Oxyclean....
    enough of it...to see white foaming topping.....let sit....rinse in cool water... it takes a while rinsing to get oxyclean out....

I never scrub...never had too....I have gotten weanling and foal and yearling halters so clean using this method that they look bran spanking new....

Good Luck!

Threw mine in the washer with a bunch of horsey towels... then let it hang dry. It was fine. (:

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    Threw mine in the washer with a bunch of horsey towels... then let it hang dry. It was fine. (:
    I do the same. It works wonderfully! Neon pink became neon pink again.

I have exclusively nylon tack, bridles, breastcollars, girths etc. I've always washed them in the clothes washer, with the reins crammed into old pillowcases to keep them relatively separate (knot or zip-tie the pillowcase closed) because if you dont, they tie themselves into knots. I read somewhere you can wash nylon tack in the DISHwasher. Havent tried this because of the ewwwww factor, but it might work better on really dirty stuff since dishwasher detergent is pretty powerful stuff.

Put them in an old Maytag Wringer washer that I keep in the barn. It works well. LF

Power washer. It takes longer to hook it up than to wash a halter, so I wait until I have a bunch of stuff.

Elaine
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I'm not an outlier; I just haven't found my distribution yet!

Dishwasher! Same with the dog collars. Gets out EVERYTHING!
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    Dishwasher! Same with the dog collars. Gets out EVERYTHING!

Since its really mr jeano's ewww factor rather than my own, and since I
    now have anecdotal evidence that it works, I am now ready to try this next week while he's out of town!!

Does any hairy effluvia stick inside the dishwasher? I'm thinking breastcollar as well as other stuff...hair in the washer and dryer are routine at this house. He's not going to be out of town long enough for me to pick individual hairs out of there....

Washing machine. I let it soak overnight.
    "You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it?" Richard Bach

I don't know about hair. I've never had a hairy halter or collar, just dirty ones. If you have horsehair all over something, I'd use packing tape to de-hair the item before running it through the dishwasher.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by jeano View Post
    Since its really mr jeano's ewww factor rather than my own, and since I
    now have anecdotal evidence that it works, I am now ready to try this next week while he's out of town!!

Does any hairy effluvia stick inside the dishwasher? I'm thinking breastcollar as well as other stuff...hair in the washer and dryer are routine at this house. He's not going to be out of town long enough for me to pick individual hairs out of there....
    I've used the dishwasher to clean nylon tack. Best way I've found is to rinse them good before you put them in, to remove any loose hair/dirt.

Then run your dishwasher on a short cycle to clean it out after.

I've also used the pressure washer way. My mom just got a steam cleaner. I'm wondering how well that would work.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!