The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Blanket Rubs ~ But not on shoulder or wither.... Hmmmmm.... UPDATE 12/13

Okay, I need some insight.

My guy is getting blanket rubs... but not on the typical shoulder or wither area. But on his sides. Just behind where you would put your leg on if you were riding. Hmmmmm... I haven't a clue. And they are on both sides.

He has the same sheet and blanket from last year and they would give him a slight shoulder rub (so put a slinkie on). But now it's shifted back to his sides. No rubs on his shoulders or wither area this time.

He has bulked up since last winter so I'm sure that's part of it. But on his sides? I just don't get it.

I am looking into new blankets but can't get them right now, too poor. I have a sheet and medium weight in bags, never opened... as the back up blankets so need to sell those first before I can buy any new ones.

He currently is in the Weatherbeeta Orican... looking into Schneiders as I guess the WB's don't fit him anymore. Or maybe a blanket suggestion? Pics (and videos) are on my website listed below if you want to take a look at his conformation (then and now).

Thoughts?
    Last edited by LSM1212; Dec. 13, 2008 at 06:39 PM.

That seems like an odd area to get rubs.

They do make full body sleazies that cover the entire sheet area, and they're not all that espensive. Especially the Epona brand, if you can find a place that sells them.

Is he sweaty under his sheet/blankets and maybe dirty? I can see dirt/sweat causing a rub. Maybe try cleaning off the inside of the sheets?
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Are you sure it's not from your leg when you ride?

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    That seems like an odd area to get rubs.

They do make full body sleazies that cover the entire sheet area, and they're not all that espensive. Especially the Epona brand, if you can find a place that sells them.

Is he sweaty under his sheet/blankets and maybe dirty? I can see dirt/sweat causing a rub. Maybe try cleaning off the inside of the sheets?
    Thanks... that's what I thought too. Strange place. He's clean (I'm kinda neurotic about that) and he's never been sweaty that I have noticed. I did rub the inside of the sheet and blanket with a damp towel and let it air dry to keep it clean.

See why I'm scratching my head? I'm thinking that the blanket is now shifting back more than it used to. I did have to let it out one hole in the front closures so he could get his head down better to eat. But now it's a little more "gappy" in the shoulder area and further back than I'd like. So I was thinking that maybe, since it's shifted, the tighter area towards the front is further back than normal too and that's whats rubbing him. Just a thought... could be totally wrong! His build has changed quite a bit so I'm sure it's just not fitting him as well anymore.

But, tough for now. Until I can afford new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Stono Ferry View Post
    I thought of that too... but wouldn't that have happened before I started putting a sheet/blanket on him when his coat was coming in? It seems to have only appeared now that he is getting blanketed. Plus it's a little further back than where my leg is. But that's a thought... but why this year and not last year?

He doesn't seem upset about it... I've rubbed that area to see if I'd get a reaction. It's looks like a blanket rub that he used to get on his shoulders... but it's on his sides instead. Hair is shorter and more bristle'y'.

~ I did just loosen the surcingles up last week. Thinking maybe they were too tight for his "heftier" build and that's what is causing the rubbing on the sides as the blanket was "too tight" around him.. to let it drape just a bit more to give more room and flow on the sides. I can't tell yet if it's helping but it's not making it worse. ~

I'm getting new blankets regardless when I can afford them. I just don't like how these are fitting him now and it just seemed an odd place for a rub.

Default Hay

Is he a cribber? I know this may sound strange but maybe he is more bloated this year than last from more cribbing? Strap stretched out or whatever? Also maybe he is slighlty more heavy and his sides are a bit more distended. I know this is far fetched but worth checking out.
    Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
    One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
    Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook

Rubs on horses and blisters on people are caused by the same thing-- friction and moisture (usually sweat) with dirt complicating/worsening things. If he's BONE dry and the sheet isn't moving-- he shouldn't be getting rubs. Loosening the surcingles might actually make matters worse if it allows the sheet to shift around more, and even a small amount of sweat/water is enough. I think your best bet (other than getting a different sheet) is to try a full body sleazy. Alternatively, you could smear on some bag balm/vaseline so that even if the blanket rubs-- it's rubbing on that rather than the hair-- but I suspect that's messier and not really cost effective versus buying a cheap sleazy.
    ~Veronica

I really doubt he's getting rubbed there from his blanket, unless he's actively rubbing himself on the stall wall or something. I would bet money that it's your leg, or the saddle pad, or something along those lines.

I've always found the clipped coat to get more and more brittle and more likely to break as winter goes on. The fact that he didn't lose hair earlier in the year doesn't mean much of anything.

VXF... thanks. I think I'll see what I can pick up. I have the shoulder one. Might just put that on for now. Might help, might not. I would think if the blanket was "too tight" around his side, that might cause irritation. By loosening it just a tad, it might give it more room to "move". I know if I wear too tight of shoes, I get blisters and too tight of jeans/shirts, I get rubs. So we'll see. Maybe he is sweating a little bit but not enough for me to notice. I know it's blanket/sheet fit... as we didn't have this issue last year. And the only difference now is he's more fit and has filled out a bit.

I'll take pics when I go out tomorrow. It's not the saddle pad as you can see the rubs after he's tacked up. And I really don't think it's my leg either. It's further back.

Also, side note. He's not clipped. But since he was clipped the first 7 years of his life and kept in a heated barn and covered from head to toe (QH world), he doesn't grow much coat.

And no, he's not a cribber. But he has filled out and we are actually cutting his grain back. I'd say he is slightly pudgier right now than I'd like. The other difference from last year where keeping weight on him was harder. So I do think his sides are bigger so "Pines" has a point. His body type has just changed.

I dunno, it does seem like an odd place to get rubs-- maybe he's scratching there? Are the marks identical on both sides?!

One mare at our barn has the worst fitted sheet I have ever seen. I feel like I am committing animal cruelty every time I put it on, it's like a straightjacket. I don't see how she can walk in it. Anyhow, she not only got rubs on her chest but also her sides, last year. The rubs on the side were not as noticeable and still had hair-- the rubs up front were huge and hairless. The solution was to get her a sleazy, which does help the rubs on the chest (I have thought about having Santa drop off a cheap new sheet for a x-mas surprise but I fear they'd be offended. I think it's a financial thing and I don't want to hurt their feelings but OMG the sheet is ridiculously bad!)

But, this was a sheet that was SO ill fitting that any Joe Average who knows nothing about horses would say that-- it is outrageously poorly fitting. I really doubt your sheets are as bad and if they're not I am surprised they're rubbing Stitch.
    ~Veronica

Default Hay

In my post I mean to say Heave-y...As in having heaves? Maybe that movement of his breathing is causing a weird rub? Does he seem to be having any weird breathing issues? I wrote heavy...sorry.

Yes, it's even on both sides.

Sorry... I though you meant heavy (like fat). No, he's not heav-y.

Where I can see that it doesn't fit anymore is in the front (shoulder area, etc). Just wondering if because of that, it's slipping back and rubbing in a weird way. Hence why I asked. Just very strange as I've never seen this before. But he doesn't seem bothered by it so it's not "medical".

I know a sleezy would be a quick fix... will see if our local tack shop has one tomorrow. Doubt it as it's not great for selection.

But long term, I just need to buy new blankets that fit better.

Just thought I'd see if anyone had any thoughts/opinions on this.

Is there a seam right there?? I have one horse that in one blaket will get a rub from the leg straps. Were the end is sew in gives him a small (like 2X2) rub on his ribs. I have thought about adding a peice of fleece but now I just use that one on someone else.
    AilleXWest
    www.gypsystoychest.com Adult Toys and Home partys

does seem weird. My horse has the same thing, same location. But I know that the rubs are from my legs. Happens every winter that I clip my horse. I do a high trace or a blanket clip and that area gets clipped. Then about a month or 2 later the hairs start breaking off and the rub marks show up. When he sheds out for spring they disappear. I'm trying a flax based supplement in hopes that he grows a less brittle hair coat. But I dunno, I suspect the culprit is me.

Same horse gets shoulder rubs ONLY IF I clip the shoulder area, so I leave a patch of hair unclipped. Looks odd. But hey, no shoulder rubs. Works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by LSM1212 View Post
    Okay, I need some insight.

My guy is getting blanket rubs... but not on the typical shoulder or wither area. But on his sides. Just behind where you would put your leg on if you were riding. Hmmmmm... I haven't a clue. And they are on both sides.

He has the same sheet and blanket from last year and they would give him a slight shoulder rub (so put a slinkie on). But now it's shifted back to his sides. No rubs on his shoulders or wither area this time.

He has bulked up since last winter so I'm sure that's part of it. But on his sides? I just don't get it.

I am looking into new blankets but can't get them right now, too poor. I have a sheet and medium weight in bags, never opened... as the back up blankets so need to sell those first before I can buy any new ones.

He currently is in the Weatherbeeta Orican... looking into Schneiders as I guess the WB's don't fit him anymore. Or maybe a blanket suggestion? Pics (and videos) are on my website listed below if you want to take a look at his conformation (then and now).

Thoughts?

doesnt fit the horse its that simple which will cuase you problems when you ride if left alone
    as its the wither area so ditch the rug as it dont fit

so solution for you-- when you measure the horse for a rug be sure to measure
    from chest to tail for lenght, wither to tail for a more fitted fit, and wither to elbow
    for a good size depth , so horse is warm and well covered
    then make sure you ask for a high neck line-- thus will then not slip backwards
    which will cuase wither sores and pain for the horse
    adjust a legs straps to correct lenght and get one that crosses over under the belly
    and adjust the straps to fit, adjust chest straps to fit ,

Thanks everybody...

I think it's a combo of the sheet/blanket not fitting now and maybe my leg... though I think the rubs are further back than that but you never know!

Will see if I can get the full body sleezy here locally and just bite the bullet and order a new sheet and blanket. I think that's really my only options. I'll sell the ones I have in bags that have never been opened and just keep the current set he's been wearing as "back up" until I can get another set.

I know it's good that he's more fit and has built up... but it sucks to have to buy new stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Stono Ferry View Post
    That was my thought. I have had a couple horses in my barn get slight rubs from their rider only in the winter months when the hair is thicker and the riders ride in more bundled up attire.

Quote Originally Posted by katie16 View Post
    That was my thought. I have had a couple horses in my barn get slight rubs from their rider only in the winter months when the hair is thicker and the riders ride in more bundled up attire.
    Thanks... I'll ask one of my barnmates to watch me ride tonight to see where my leg is. I'm wearing the same 1/2 chaps I always do just fleece breeches instead of regular one.

I just find it kinda odd that if that were the case, it should have happened last year (the first year he wasn't clipped) too. I think I ride pretty much the same!

Thanks... I'll ask one of my barnmates to watch me ride tonight to see where my leg is. I'm wearing the same 1/2 chaps I always do just fleece breeches instead of regular one.

I just find it kinda odd that if that were the case, it should have happened last year (the first year he wasn't clipped) too. I think I ride pretty much the same!
    Aren't horses fun?! They always keep us guessing!

Default Hay

...guessing and spending money!

No you don't, your leg is getting stronger and you are jumping more. When you say the rubs are behind where your leg is, that tells me it IS from your leg and in your vids, your leg is sometimes behind the ideal spot-like almost everybody else. He is fatter in the barrel, you are riding more, you are riding better with stronger leg and voila, rubs. Mine gets them too...but only if I ride alot when she either is carrying alot of coat or has been clipped, not so noticeable in summer.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.