The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The "I Hate My __ [insert necessary-for-riding body part]" thread

Ok, so I'm just frustrated with my body. I need to vent, I'm going to take you all with me.

Its not my body's fault, its mine and my desk jockey ways. But I am overly annoyed with my left hip/leg. Why o why can I not get it under myself? my right leg works just fine. Left leg creeps forward, knee over saddle flap

I. Hate.It.

On the plus side, I've been doing a ton of stretching both at home and on the horse, which has marginally helped.

Everything else is pretty good!

So, what on you would you change? Bad hands? balance? leg issues? back? knee? What gets in your way of riding well?

My boobs. Good friggen lord, I weigh just barely over 100lbs, and I have DDD's. (E's, depending on which company.) If the average pair of D's weighs up to 20lbs, I can only imagine how much my monsters weigh. Add in the fact that I have a tiny ribcage (30/32) and these suckers pull me forward and there's just nothing I can do about it!

The stress of remaining upright against the boobs is all allocated to my lower back, which KILLS on a regular basis. I'm on prescription painkillers, and my doctor has told me that within a few years, it's going to come down to a choice between breast reduction surgery, or back surgery to try and repair and shore up against future damage. Ugh.

The only positive thing I have to say about them is that when/if I do fall off face-first, they provide a comfy landing.

Lack of fitness. After coping with a serious illness in 2008 I'm left with.... no muscle, and no stamina!

I have decent balance and can skate by to some degree, but my weaker left side is clearly evident.

With a sharp, responsive, but sane horse, I'm ok. But if I have to work to get what I want, or ride through any antics, I am done after about 15 minutes!

Ok I am the whiney poster of the week I think. Sorry folks.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

I hate my....

Tummy/"pooch"... I swear there are muscles under there... and they aren't half bad, as far as strength goes, and thats the part I need for riding... But my lord you'd never know it looking at my flabby belly that is so gloriously highlighted when wearing breeches. Double that when I have to tuck in my shirt. I've been working hard with diet and exercise since August 1, and I've dropped a pant size... but still... in breeches... *shudder*
    I have Higher Standards... do you?
    Apalachicola Native (Alfie), '02 TB Gelding,
    Wild Man of Borneo (Hank), '03 Redtick coonhound,
    Augustus McRae (Gus), '01 Bluetick coonhound

#1 is thighs. They are strong but do they have to be so BIG?

Knees...they're creaky.

Chins don't make for good riding pics from the side. Or front, for that matter.

Boobs, they are waaaaay too bouncy.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

If I knew then what I know now - I'd have appreciated my scrawny 17 year old body and treated it better!

Balance and stiffness are my two issues. I get plenty of exercise from work but it is limited in scope. I need to stretch and possibly do Yoga or Pilates, or the exercise ball you sit on. Cardio and losing weight are next, but I would really appreciate being to sit a canter without the tension that comes from subconsciously trying to protect my lower back from "too much" movement.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Ditto what GoForAGallop and missamandarose said. My back has been killing me lately, and if there's any way I can get my insurance to cover a reduction, I am SO doing it. And God help the poor people who have to witness me wearing breeches and are forced to see my tummy.

My GIANT shoulders! I always look like a linebacker

...arthritic knee. The damn thing kills me this time of year when the weather turns wet and cold. I can't take glucosamine, but some other OTC's are working fortunately. But, I love to ride so I flinch through it and will for the rest of my days. I am increasing my fitness routine this winter to get in better aerobic shape for eventing in 2009. My mare has been working her ass off, so now I have to catch up with her fitness. Less beer and more stretching too.

My body parts when they refuse to do what I tell them to do!

But mostly my knees that just keep getting creekier and creekier.
    \"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it.\" Anne of Green Gables

My right side. I swear it has a mind of its own. The leg is weaker, the hand is a "gimp" hand (ya know, gay-man floppy-wrist syndrome...) and the arm just doesn't work as well. Probably doesn't help that off a horse I'm right-side dominant, lol.

Oh, and the fact that I've discovered that riding jackets are not made with the wide-shouldered, long-armed, skinny waisted in mind. (Since I have broad shoulders and long arms, I should have bigger boobs and a bigger waist...right? Not!)
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

I didn't ride for 3 months (long story).

Goodbye, muscles.

I was working bareback on devil, green, slippery ponies for 3 months, which greatly improved my seat, and my sitting trot. (And my ability to sit buck, bolt, spook, rear, etc). Then I don't ride for 3 months. My muscles are GOOONEEEEEEE. I tried sitting the trot yesterday... What did I get... zilch... Just awful all over again. I tried dropping my stirrups... slippy slidey! There goes seat of velcro.

So, other than my current lack of muscle, I hate my knees, because I SHOULD NOT BE STIFF. I am 14. I should NOT have swollen stiff creaky knees. And my bunions get in the way of bringing my toes in.

Oh, I hate my back and shoulders too. >.< I lean forward because of my lower back. It has a ridiculous natural arch... Good for hunters, bad for dressage! And my shoulders creep...creep...creep forward.

Flash, I think I am the whiny person of the week. Kapish?

*smirk*

I'll vote for ALL OF THE ABOVE..... cause... well... I just had a baby... ECK EC KEC.. I don't even want to THINK about what I look like in breeches right now .... *gag*
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

My overall lack of fitness! I find myself with little time to ride these days and I work in an office environment so my fitness level has gone down the tubes. I mainly hate that I have no core strength so that I can make myself sit. up. when I ride rather than assuming the jockey position
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

Iliotibial bands! Two years ago I didn't know what they were or that I had them. Now they are the bane of my existence.

Here's how the chiropractor described it, I still find this both interesting and hilarious: I am large (chiropractor didn't say that part but I inferred, LOL), with short legs for my height and small feet. I am also a bit knock-kneed. I do self-care for the horses at a place that has very uneven ground, and mud. My iliotibial bands work overtime like guy wires to keep me from falling. Oh did I mention I'm also a klutz?

So I have these bands of steel running down the sides of my thighs and attaching to my hips and knees. Works great for keeping me on my feet. Sitting on a horse? Owie owie OWIE!
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

Default I really hate....

My right pelvis/hip/leg. I had an ugly crash almost 5 years ago that resulted in a pelvic fracture. That leg is still not as strong as my left. This is despite 3 months of PT and an exercise program involving swimming and low impact aerobics that I stuck with for nearly a year (a record for me when it comes to non-equine exercise!). My heel comes up, my leg swings back, my balance is off. I'm better the more I ride, but in the last 1.5 years I had to retire my old packer and then my younger mare got hurt in a freak pasture accident and was laid up 4 months. I've taken lessons and "borrowed" rides on friends' horses, but it is not the same as riding a reliable horse of your own 4 days a week.

My orthopod, my PT and various MD colleagues all say that I've made an excellent recovery. By any other standard I have--I walk fine, I can swim and do aerobics (though my jogging days are over), I can lead a normal life. But I just hate the effect on my riding. I'm a little bit of a perfectionist and this just drives me nuts.

BES
    Proudly owned by 2 chestnut mares
    Crayola Posse: sea green
    Mighty Rehabbers Clique

Default I hate my...

right hip and entire lower back. Both are out of whack from a nasty fall and injury 5 years ago and hurt all the time, especially when I ride... Chiro hasn't helped, so I'm guessing PT is my next course of action.

I just want my pre-pregnancy abs back. I miss them .

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

all of it *sob*

Left leg - no muscle at all!!
    Trainer yells - "more inside leg!" and I look and it is missing.
    She will then joke that I haven't brought my left leg with me to the lesson.