The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Thumbs up MY FAVORITE SPECIAL HOMEMADE BP FEED MIX

MY FAVORITE SPECIAL HOMEMADE BP FEED MIX: For ALL Classes of Horses, Easy Keepers,
    Hard Keepers, Rescues, Sickly horses, Foals and Weanlings, Brood Mares,
    Stallions, Hot Horses, Cold Horses.....Safe for Obese, IR and Laminitic Horses Low Carb,
    can add additional items for other horses.

Commentary and more instructions and experiences below the receipe.

MY HOMEMADE BP FEED MIX.

Per Horse - 1 to 2 cups dry measured BP pellets without molasses,
    Hydrate Beet Pulp with 1 to 2 qts hot water, (adjust as needed, fluffy not soppy)

1 ounce or so (up to 2 cups) apple cider vinegar (not the ACV flavored distilled vinegar),

from 1 teaspoon up to 3 Tablespoons garlic powder/granulated per horse,
    The garlic and applecider vinegar
    will do wonders for their skin health and prevent fly sores, repels knats.

1/3 cup up to 2/3 cup whole flax seed per horse,

1/2 cup Vegetable oil.

You will have to experiment with the amt of water. You want it fluffy and damp
    so you can squeeze it together into a lightly
    Formed ball in your hand. (I have sample pics on my site of this)
    That is the best consistency and they love it.
    Soppy is not so appreciated by most of them.
    I mix for 11 horses in a 5 gallon bucket so it is an estimation on the amt of water.

If your horse is not insulin resistant you can add
    1 to 2 cups whole oats to the hydration
    mix and if an oldie or horse that needs more you can also
    add some alfalfa pellets.

I talked with an ex-Arabian breeder who had 21 horses, she would actually SPROUT the
    oats which will of course give much better nutrition and absorption.
    She had a bucket with holes drilled in the bottom for the grain and would set it inside
    another bucket with the water. She would have many sets in varying stages. It's
    something I'd like to try when I have more time....
    I don't know that would work very well for the flax seeds. Once in water the flax begin
    to hydrate and release their oil and it gets verrrry oily.

Mix into the hydrated mix when ready to feed,

1 cup stabilized rice bran (Satin Finish) per horse, (not recommended for HYPP Positive horses)

One of the two digestive Supplements that I use,

Selenium/Vit E, (be sure to check with
    your local county extension office to find out if your area is high or low in selenium)
    We also have a natural Vit E supplement if your area/hay is high in selenium)
    and about

1 teaspoon per horse Humic Shale Ore.

Feed 2 to 4 dog food (1 qt) scoops per horse, or as much as needed to
    help horse regain some wt if they lost alot or feeding an oldie.

Very safe feed mix. Slow metabolizing
    so is great in the winter too, keeps them satisfied and warm, that is what sold me prior
    to any of my 3 horses foundering on alfalfa hay as they were becoming IR and I didn't realize it.
    I have one 32 yr old
    Arabian mare who gets 6 scoops of feed at nite. She is short 3 teeth.

You can top dress with some digestive pellets and/or hoof specific pellets for anyone needing extra.

It only takes minutes to mix it to let it hydrate for the day. Normally
    6 to 8 hours, but when its really cold it can take longer to fully fluff
    up and then I will make it up at nite for the next day use. It easily
    lasts 24 hours when it's hot and 36 hours when it's cold outside.
    I mix mine in a brood lamp heated feed room. Stays 50 degrees to 80 degrees.

NOTE: Never feed this beet pulp dry. It plumps up fast and
    Sticks in their throat and they choke. My vet told me to give
    An ACE shot in the muscle to allow them
    To relax their throat enough for it to go down. (I've
    Done this 3 different times on 3 different horses so "don't do it", they will
    Eventually choke on it and get very distressed and anxious)

I have been told that I answered too many different people's
    questions with the same feed mix. It's amazing how many ills
    this one feed mix can make better. I was told that it would be
    best to invite people to my website for further info. if you wish.
    This thread is to put my recipe out there in one thread,
    and invite anyone interested to my website for further info
    and email me with questions, I'll be happy to help.
    I do sell some of the items I use and other's that I don't sell
    nor have any financial interest in, I am happy to direct you to the right source.

I am someone who when you contact me who actually has horses, dogs
    and cats, and not a sales/order taker person who doesn't own any of the
    above. For over 18 years I have been on a journey with my own animals
    as well as many other's whom I've helped with their animals.
    I share this to help other's as other's have shared with me over the years.

My recipe and recommendations are free. All the ingredients do
    cost $ from somewhere. My feed mix and supplement program answers
    many issues it's amazing even to me how simple and basic the fixes
    can be. And of course affordable to make at your own barn,
    compared to commercially bagged feed mixes with supps included even.

I buy organic where I can. but so far BP and flax seeds and rice bran
    etc. are not easily acquired as organic. The supplements, some are
    organic ingredients.

I feed this mix once daily. I have a few horses that
    need supplements twice daily I'll hold out one dog food scoop (1qt)
    full for next morning feeding to add those specific supps to.

I'm mixing for 9 to 11 horses usually in a 5 gallon bucket.
    So for those of you with more horses. here's what I do.

So I'm guessing for one horse. About 2 qts hot water to 1 to 2 cups dry
    Measured beet pulp per horse. 1 oz apple cider vinegar, up to
    3 T garlic powder/granulated per horse. The garlic and applecider vinegar
    will do wonders for their skin health and prevent fly sores, repels knats.

My mixing is in a 5 gal bucket. 2 gallons hot water with
    About 1 1/2 to 2 inches in the bottom of 1 gallon jug of
    Apple cider vinegar. In the other gallon I put 1 teaspoon per
    Horse up to 3 Tablespoons per horse of the garlic and fill
    With hot water and shake to dissolve. I use 3 T per horse
    Year round of the garlic. When fully fluffed up.
    Then separate into 2 buckets after
    hydrated for mixing in the Rice Bran and other powdered supps.

If you are just starting out on garlic, go with
    1 Teaspoon and build up to 3 Tablespoons over a little time
    Allowing the horse to get used to it. Mine love it. Smells
    Like Doritos and they lick the buckets clean. You want
    The beet pulp after hydrated to be fluffy and damp. Not
    Soggy and fully hydrated. No little hard pieces preferably.
    During the Summer I'll feed the most possible per instructions
    on container of garlic product, during the winter I'll feed
    half of that amt as it helps keep it in their system for
    immune support and keeps great healthy skin as well.

I just pour in some Vegetable Oil and stir it all around and put
    the lid on and allow it to hydrate for 4 hours or more. I mix
    this in the morning and feed at evening feeding and same some
    for next morning when I have horses getting supplements
    twice daily. During summer you can up the amt of garlic as needed
    up to 3 Tablespoons daily to get your best results. Twice daily is
    best during the summer as our bodies use up what we feed it
    every 12 hours. During the winter, one time daily is enough and you
    can reduce the amt to 1/2 the summer dose if you want to.

During the winter I feed more than I do in the summer, still
    Mostly one time per day at dinner to keep them warm through
    The nite and not cold or massively hungry in the morning.
    I can easily feed as late as noon and not have anyone colicy
    Or massively hungry and mad at me. During the summer the
    Garlic and applecider vinegar really help with the insects and
    I always give them their supplements daily anyway.

The Satin Finish bag says, two and 3 yr old 1# to 1 /2#'S per day
    Mature horses based on 1000#'S - 2#'S heavy use down to 1#/day
    Not in use horse. Extreme use cases endurance racing, eventing etc.
    Custom programs available 1-800-742-3272 Satin Finsh Wilcott Farms, Inc.
    P.O. Box 5, Willows, CA 95988 I buy this at my local Farm Co-op store.
    I like the granulated rather than pellets. mixes well into the fluffy BP.
    Satin Finish Rice Bran is not recommended for HYPP Positive horses!

This will bring any horse up to speed condition wise and for an easy
    keeper just feed 2 scoops daily of they hydrated mix. This year 08
    I took in 2 resuces and in 90 days they looked like two totally different
    horses, and their feet will take about 1 year to grow new healthy looking hooves.

I always feed a digestive supp as it increases absorption of all the nutrients
    they eat from all the food they eat. At times when I had to in order to conserve $.
    I would feed just one scoop which is half of maintenance at nite with their grain.
    Optimal is maint dose 1 AM and 1 PM. It has made such a difference in the health
    of all mine all these years.They get more out of their food we are already feeding them,
    plus it keeps the gut and stomach in excellent Operating order.
    Important for feeding the immune system. Makes the most of the $ you spend on feed
    by increasing absorption up to 300%. That's 3 X normal. Normal for a young
    healthy horse would be around 75 to 85% at best, just like us humans. And
    as we all get older, the absorption ability of our bodies gets less and less...

I recommend only using WHOLE grains in this mix. The whole oats will hydrate for
    optimum digestability. The whole flax will release it's oil upon soaking.
    Crushed grains loose part of their nutritional value and all of their live enzymes.
    The live enzymes go to work upon being crushed to digest the fatty acids. You
    want that to happen inside the horse not in some feed mill. And there is lots of great
    fiber in the hulls and outer coverings still attached. If anyone knows of a great
    way to get whole rice to use instead of rice bran, let me know. I'd love to look
    into it.

The flax seed is important. Very antiinflammatory. I found out when I experimented
    with eliminating it due to the escellation in prices this year. Afer 1 1/2 months
    without it, my poor little teen mare who had foundered 2 times in 05 and due to
    bute had a kidney malfunction and was down sick for 2 wks, has a huge knee that
    happened due to all this is crippeled but gets around, eats well etc on my feed
    mix and her IR supplements etc. She could barely stand much less walk afer the one
    change I made by eliminating the whole flax seed from my feed to save $. So I
    put it back in and within a week she was doing really good again. So proof that
    the whole flax seed is very antiinflammatory and joint lubricating and many other
    things as well!

I keep a liquid Probi on hand for any gas colic
    in the medicine cupboard, is liquid gold to me. I was also told
    by a helpful customer that Bach's Rescue Remedy is a great item for
    colic as well. I tried it on myself for mauseau and vomiting and it worked 15 to 20 min later.
    Possibly Contraindicated with mint though not sure but homeopathics are contraindicated with mint.
    The liquid Probi has peppermint in it and I prefer
    to use it as it does so much more to get those gut noises going again etc.

I have made the personal choice to give up Chemical wormers for the most part and vaccines.
    Everyone has to make the choice which way to go on their own as we all have to live
    with our choices we make and feel good about them. I have and incidents that
    have pshed and guided me in this direction. A book by Dr. Pitcarin about Holistic
    care and feeding of dogs and cats really helped open my eyes to alternatives.

I'm using a couple of natural wormers rather than chemicals. I personally found
    Chemicals can really tax an already taxed immune system and so can vaccines.
    If you horse is already exhibiting signs of overtaxed immune system such as allergies, easy
    colds, skin issues, colicy and sensitive to vaccines and chemicals.... then you should look
    into what things may be causing this for your animal. I have access to a natural fed daily
    to deter gut parasites, use the Parasite tonic to clean out any blood parasites.
    You can use an herbal wormer 5 days a month on the full moon
    as the other option, works on blood and gut parasites. These are just my choices,
    alternative methods that have been working for me and mine (which have been many) as well
    as my clients horses.

Some people like to do fecal checks quarterly and it's recommended 3 to 4 times yearly,
    and once they show negative not so often,
    just watching the horses' condition is finally enough for me since they always showed
    negative. Once or 2 X a year maybe if there was a huge bot fly population with ivermecterin
    after a couple hard frosts as in late November or December. The one time I did it,
    I found 1 bot larvae out of 11 horses. Pretty good.
    I am using homeopathic nosodes for immunizing instead. I do have access to these as well.

For specific info visit my website link in my signature.
    For questions I welcome your emails. I hope you enjoy my feed mix
    and it's results on your horses.
    "A horse is not so much a possession of the body, as he is an obsession of the soul."

http://myfineequine.com

Default WHy feed DOG FOOD to a Horse?

Feed 2 to 4 dog food (1 qt) scoops per horse, or as much as needed to
    help horse regain some wt if they lost alot or feeding an oldie.
    WHY Would you EVER feed DOG FOOD to a horse?

Here's a list of potential ingredients - including animal parts. Horses are NOT meant to be carnivores.
    UGH>>>

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/dogfoods.html

Digest of Beef - material from beef which results from chemical and/or enzymatic hydrolysis of clean and undecomposed tissue. The tissues used shall be exclusive of hair, horns, teeth and hooves, except in such trace amounts as might occur unavoidably in good factory practice.
    Digest of Beef By-Products - material from beef which results from chemical and/or enzymatic hydrolysis of clean and undecomposed tissue from non-rendered clean parts, other than meat, from cattle which includes, but is not limited to, lungs, spleen, kidneys, brain, livers, blood, bone, partially defated low-temperature fatty tissue, and stomachs and intestines freed of their contents. It does not include hair, horns, teeth and hoofs.
    Digest of Poultry By-Products - material which results from chemical and/or enzymatic hydrolysis of clean and undecomposed tissue from non-rendered clean parts of carcasses of slaughtered poultry such as heads, feet, viscera, free from fecal content and foreign matter except in such trace amounts as might occur unavoidably in good factory practice.
    Dried Animal Digest - dried material resulting from chemical and/or enzymatic hydrolysis of clean and undecomposed animal tissue. The animal tissue used shall be exclusive of hair, horns, teeth, hooves and feathers, except in such trace amounts as might occur unavoidably in good factory practice and shall be suitable for animal feed. If it bears a name descriptive of its kind or flavor(s), it must correspond thereto.

Default Read Closer!!!!

Gabz, read a little more closely. I did the same thing at first....I read the highlights too. I went back to reread because I couldn't believe it....

That person is only referring to the dog food scoops... not dog food.

MTR

Default Quick Question

You learn something everyday and I'm happy to admit I try and do learn something everyday. So this is my question. I've fed Beet Pulp for years with great success but I've also had my share of chokers too ! So during the winter when I'd luv for them to have a hot feed If I soak the Beet Pulp for 6-8 hours even if it's kept in my heated TackRoom by feedtime it is COLD. "How do I get it hot again?" We don't have pellets here but ours are in SHREDS. It'd cut my quantity of feed I feed by a 1/3 so I think it'd be more economical and probably easier .

I feed beet pulp shreds and I have never needed to soak it for more than 20 to 30 minutes. I pour on warm water and let it sit for less than a half hour, then feed it - it still has a little warmth in it and they love it. As long as I feed it to stalled horses that aren't vying for each others' feed, I never have chokes and I've been feeding it about three years now. However, I had a particularly bad experience with pastured broodmares eating it too fast and trying to beat each other out on feed, and had some chokes then, so I no longer feed beet pulp to horses unless they're in individual stalls.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by EASY RIDER STABLE View Post
    You learn something everyday and I'm happy to admit I try and do learn something everyday. So this is my question. I've fed Beet Pulp for years with great success but I've also had my share of chokers too ! So during the winter when I'd luv for them to have a hot feed If I soak the Beet Pulp for 6-8 hours even if it's kept in my heated TackRoom by feedtime it is COLD. "How do I get it hot again?" We don't have pellets here but ours are in SHREDS. It'd cut my quantity of feed I feed by a 1/3 so I think it'd be more economical and probably easier .
    You need a heated bucket.

Quote Originally Posted by EASY RIDER STABLE View Post
    I soak beet pulp in the house before going to the barn. I add very hot water from the tap, and after 20 minutes it's fluffy and good to go.

As for the original post here. Geeze. I don't even know what to say. I'll leave it at this - I'm not a chef. I don't even have time to read that whole post, much less mix up all that stuff on a daily basis. I'd have to quit my job. I'm in the less is more camp.

Quote Originally Posted by mustangtrailrider View Post
    Gabz, read a little more closely. I did the same thing at first....I read the highlights too. I went back to reread because I couldn't believe it....

That person is only referring to the dog food scoops... not dog food.

MTR
    OH Thank G_D... I read that 3 times... and I really thought it meant to feed 2 - 4 scoops of dog food to increase the weight on a horse.

Vicki, is this a homeopathic way to keep a foal from entangling his legs in a rope? Actually entangle his legs in a rope, to boost his immune system against entanglement?

http://myfineequine.com/allimages/ellaya070308b.JPG

Oh chaltagor, why give us all just a sip of the Kool-Aid when we could see the whole pitcher of it:
    http://myfineequine.com/

If I was trying to sell products, that picture would not be so highly visible. Plus giant one page web pages that scroll down are like so '90's man. I'm not even going to get into deworming your animals by the moon's phases.

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

Hunh. That Web site is a little too Dr. Bronner-ish to me ...
    Full-time bargain hunter.

I always find it a red flag when someone who purports to be a fount of nutritional wisdom calculates feed by volume and not weight.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.