The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Number brands are VERY common on roughstock. They're used to identify identity, not ranch. Rough stock usually has a number brand in addition to a ranch brand...
    Interesting! The numeric brand was her only brand - she looked to be part thoroughbred - she was a grand mare.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Horse View Post
    Interesting! The numeric brand was her only brand - she looked to be part thoroughbred - she was a grand mare.
    Here is my rough stock mare. She had a 393 up high on her rump. Her ranch brand was on the other side. Her number meant that she was born in 1993 (the first three) and was out of mare 93.

I imagine other sorts of large ranches also use numerical brands to identify their horses.

I think there is a sanctuary for Pos Coggins horses in FL.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Here is my rough stock mare. She had a 393 up high on her rump. Her ranch brand was on the other side. Her number meant that she was born in 1993 (the first three) and was out of mare 93.

I imagine other sorts of large ranches also use numerical brands to identify their horses.
    Nice looking mare!

Lady's brand (3 5 7) was on the left side of her neck - right down the middle - I've seen pictures of Remount horses with similar brands and I've been told some polo ponies had numeric brands. I bought her in Dec of 1972 - she was supposed to be 13 . . . found out the following spring (during a vet visit) that she was probably 25!! So, maybe the 7 was her birth year (1947, if the vet was correct) . . . She lived to the ripe old age of 35 and I enjoyed the heck out of her.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Horse View Post
    Nice looking mare!

Lady's brand (3 5 7) was on the left side of her neck - right down the middle - I've seen pictures of Remount horses with similar brands and I've been told some polo ponies had numeric brands. I bought her in Dec of 1972 - she was supposed to be 13 . . . found out the following spring (during a vet visit) that she was probably 25!! So, maybe the 7 was her birth year (1947, if the vet was correct) . . . She lived to the ripe old age of 35 and I enjoyed the heck out of her.
    Polo ponies usually have a numeric brand on either side of their tail. I have never seen one in the middle of the neck. However, I have seen that type of brand on stock horses

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

I think there is a sanctuary for Pos Coggins horses in FL.
    Yes, there is! I looked it up the website for one of the many threads about these poor horses--the sanctuary is going broke!!!! See the link that "see u at x" referenced below....
    "Good gardening is very simple, really. You just have to learn to think like a plant." ~Barbara Damrosch~