The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wait... what?! Coggins+ Sanctuary?

I'm not even sure what to say about this. I'm just posting...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...24/coggins.jpg

I don't think it's shady.

Sounds to me like they were trying to do a good thing...now have 2 of 5 horses' expenses paid for and are trying to find a way to finance the rest.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Horses with a positive coggins test must be euthanised or live some specified number of miles (I'm pretty sure it's MILES...not 200 yds) away from any other horses.

I'd probably choose to euth in that circumstance. It's going to be nearly impossible to find someone who's willing to take those horses

Isn't Coggins transmitted by horseflies? Don't flies fly further than 200 yards?

I'm befuddled...completely
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Yes its basically permanent quarantine. I think different states may have different requirements as to how far they must be housed from other equines. Swamp fever is spread thru mosquitos. I had a friend who had a horse like this. He didnt have symptoms but he was a carrier. She had to have a location okayed by the state before she could move him anywhere.

It looks like the horses have huge brands on their neck ID'ing them.

It is yards, not miles.
    Based on the feeding habits of the tabanid flies which are the main vector.

Although it is possible for a mosquito to spread the disease, it is not common.

Mosquitoes usually complete an entire meal on a single host, whereas the tabanid flies bite and it hurts, so the horse swishes them away, and they land on the horse beside him to complete the meal.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Quote Originally Posted by equineartworks View Post

Isn't Coggins transmitted by horseflies? Don't flies fly further than 200 yards?

I'm befuddled...completely
    Coggins is not the disease. Coggins is the name of the test for Equine Infectious Anemia. EIA is transmitted by biting insects, yes.

Wow I really had to really smoosh my face up to the screen to be able to read the info on that. But its too bad they cant take care of them anymore. I am guessing its going to take one special person to take on that responsibility.

I remember a while ago either reading about or seeing something on a news segment about Plantation Acres (referenced here: http://www.eiahorses.org). I agree that it will definitely take a special person (or persons) to help with these guys.
    Last edited by see u at x; Sep. 16, 2009 at 04:53 PM.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

I just learned something. I had always thought it was spread by skeeters hence the nickname Swamp Fever. After reading this i have yet another reason to hate deer flies !

Regulations are state by state.

The original is in TN
    http://nashville.craigslist.org/grd/951563919.html

Here are their regulations.
    http://asci.uvm.edu/equine/law/eia/tn_eia.htm

Summary, 200 yards.

Default OK, so this is a bit weird

my first horse had a huge numeric brand on her neck - 3 5 7 - contacted all the state brand inspectors and never had any luck tracing it . . . never did have a coggins done on her . . . kind of makes me wonder . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Horse View Post
    my first horse had a huge numeric brand on her neck - 3 5 7 - contacted all the state brand inspectors and never had any luck tracing it . . . never did have a coggins done on her . . . kind of makes me wonder . . .
    Number brands are VERY common on roughstock. They're used to identify identity, not ranch. Rough stock usually has a number brand in addition to a ranch brand...

Quote Originally Posted by Phaxxton View Post
    Coggins is not the disease. Coggins is the name of the test for Equine Infectious Anemia. EIA is transmitted by biting insects, yes.
    I knew that...had a stupid attack
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Horse View Post
    EIA brands start with the letter A, followed by a two-digit number that represents the state.
    Proud member of the EDRF

Huh...I never knew EIA horses had brands....useful info to know! Thanks for filling us in on the type of brand Kementari.
    The few horses I've ever heard of that got EIA ended up PTS by their owners. CT is a small state with small farms near each other...it's always been kind of standard procedure to euth the EIA carriers/positives for the safety of the entire horse community I guess.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by see u at x View Post
    I remember a while ago either reading about or seeing something on a news segment about Plantation Acres (referenced here: http://www.eiahorses.org). I agree that it will definitely take a special person (or persons) to help with these guys. That cute buckskin could almost be my mare's twin!
    Well I had to send them money - I opened the site and Cheap Trick "I want You To Want Me" began to play - my very favorite band and one of my fav songs - they got me

I think they should contact this rescue - as I remember they are the oldest and most experienced with this.
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Huh...I never knew EIA horses had brands....useful info to know! Thanks for filling us in on the type of brand Kementari.
    The few horses I've ever heard of that got EIA ended up PTS by their owners. CT is a small state with small farms near each other...it's always been kind of standard procedure to euth the EIA carriers/positives for the safety of the entire horse community I guess.
    That's been my experience, too. I did have a riding instructor who once (long before I was with her) had an EIA positive horse who she quarantined because she was not yet very experienced and attached to the horse. I don't know if the sanctuaries weren't around yet or she didn't know of them, but she said that in hindsight she should have euthanized him rather than keep him forever away from the company of other horses, as he was clearly unhappy.
    Proud member of the EDRF

Quote Originally Posted by FatPalomino View Post
    It looks like the horses have huge brands on their neck ID'ing them.
    My understanding is that in at least some states (if not all that allow quarantine rather than euth) that the positive horses must have a very visable brand on the left neck identfying them as EIA positive.