The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone for a (pity) party?

Yep, I'm whining. The bay horse, aka, the expensive horse, popped a splint a month ago. Right before his PPE. He's still unexplicably lame circling that direction, obviously did not sell, and has been off work a month. He's coming home from the sale barn, so I have one more horse that has no job to do maid service for over the winter. Not the fat haffie, not the 24 yr old tb that we all thought was not going to make it through the winter. Not the big horse, who I paid less for than my saddle, the most expensive horse I've ever purchased. I still have the big horse to ride, I have plenty of hay and empty stalls, but damn, couldn't this have waited til AFTER he sold????

Yes, I'll play - my son's fancy baby, "never thought I'd be offered so much for a horse" horse, never lame a day we have had him, no swelling, no heat, handled with kid gloves as long as we have had him, did not flex for his PPE. That's horses for you.....now, he gets to spend the winter just being a horse.

I'll play...no real drama here(hope both of you guys' critters are feeling better ASAP), but I'm going through my usual winter fit of self-doubt and -loathing re: all things horse-related, and it is No Fun At All. I keep telling myself we're doing better than we did last winter and y'know, it is the truth. But that's only so much consolation when I feel like I should apologize to my horse every time I climb aboard. :-/

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Let's see. Been on rehab since May 3. Started with a slight suspensory strain. That appeared to have been healed 60 days later, but horse still lame. Went looking for something else and, one nuke scan and one MRI later, found collateral ligament damage. This brings new meaning to the term "collateral damage." Six weeks of alternating shock wave and IRAP and we were able to start tack walking again. Did a month of that, were OK'd to trot, and the first day we trotted, he colicked and spent a week in the horsepital with an impaction that resolved with IV fluids. Now starting to trot again. Not looking forward to rehabbing horse thru what passes for our winter with no covered ring and a facility where the rings tend to get shut down for a minimum of 3 days with 0.5 inches of rain or more. Topped out $7500 insurance (impaction occurred one week before new policy started so it counted in the expensive year).

At least I'm not trying to sell him. And he didn't have to have colic surgery.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Yeah, I'll play. My 23yo husband's QH is dying of cancer. She basically has no red blood cells, no white blood cells and no platelets. She Does still have her appetite however - so she will get to go on until that starts to go.

I've just had the second surgery on my right knee since I destroyed my ACL in May (yes, riding - or, as I like to put it, not riding, but suddenly stopping riding!) Right now I don't know who screwed up my knee more, me or the surgeon.

And my youngest, nicest young mare is coming home from the horsepital tomorrow with a 8 screw plate in her carpus. I am lucky she is coming home at all. How many horses do you know that spent over 24 hours in the surgical recovery stall and walked out on their own? Clue: none.

I am sorry, but I am tired, cranky a whole lot poorer than I was 10 days ago and frikin' lame. Stall rest sucks, but bedrest and ice suck at least as much. Plus I am so endebted to EVERYONE on the planet for taking care of me and my barn I will never be able to pay them back. Best news yet - my husband is a SAINT!

Erm, sorry, but your asked! Boy do I know how to throw a pity party or what.

SCFarm
    The above post is an opinion, just an opinion. If it were a real live fact it would include supporting links to websites full of people who already agreed with me.

www.southern-cross-farm.com

Default Oh I have one...

In Feb. I bought my first horse since I was a kid. He was supposed to be my dream horse. I saved my money for years. He did Intermediate level eventing and I wanted to go Training and maybe Prelim one day. I got a very thorough PPE with multiple rads, blood tests, etc. He came home and started out okay but had minor injuries that kept us off and on again all spring - pulled shoes, heel grab, rolled into the fence and scraped his leg.

Finally over the summer we settled down to really get going and he literally would not. He refused to go forward - first at canter transitions, then he progressed to the point of not wanting to even walk. So after some incorrect diagnoses of "bad attitude," Lyme, ulcers and eye problems he got a big workup at the clinic with back x-rays to find out he has kissing spine. On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the worst, his back looks like an 8 or a 9 according to the vet.

Since I spent so much on this horse and considering the fact he was still competing at Prelim seven months prior I felt obligated to "work" on this with injections, medications, acupuncture, rest and gradual rehab back to work. Now I'm into the fifth month of rehab and every day it's looking more and more like complete retirement for an 8 year old.

I never got to compete this horse and jumped him maybe 6 times. The most jumping I ever did with him was when I went to try him! After I told the seller what's wrong with him I heard nothing - not even an "I'm sorry" which makes me feel like the biggest sucker in the world for buying this horse, but I can't prove she knew anything. If she did know I hope it comes back to her threefold. And if she didn't know, she won the lottery of lucky timing and should be sending me expensive gifts.

Anyway, now I'm out my dream horse and any money I could have used for another horse. My gorgeous horse is a thousand times more talented than anything I've ever owned but all he'll be able to do is sit in a field.

I think I need to change my name from Horseless1 so that I don't keep ending up horseless...

Unhappy

I'm so sorry to hear about so many horses going "off." Makes me thank my lucky stars that the two I ride are basically sound.

But... I'm having a HUGE pity party about me. I had a friend loan me a lovely older low-level event horse, starting last fall. She coached us for months, getting me jumping again, learning what I needed to do to get Trump over fences safely, learning how to gallop, etc. We rode together, I groomed for her when she competed her new horse at various events, and eventually she thought I would be ready for an elementary level horse trial.

At the same time, I was going through a terrible time with the horse I'd purchased, who turned out to be way hotter than either of us expected, as well as having some physical issues. I basically didn't ride my very own horse for months; I loaned her to my friend's Fearless Teen daughter, and *she* had a great time with my horse. Having Trump was quite literally a life-saver.

I did my horse trial on July 7. It was a *blast* and I got a third place ribbon. Coming up the hill at the end of the X/C course, I was shouting to the sky, "Trumpie, I love you!" My friend said she'd help us get ready for a "real" horse trial -- UNH Fall, Beginner Novice. We set a date of July 28 to go up there and ride the X/C before they closed the course.

July 25... I had a jump lesson on Trump. Two jumps before the end, I passed out and fell off him. Broke my collarbone really badly, broke 4 ribs, had a partially collapsed lung. Was in the ICU for a day, had surgery to put a plate in the collarbone 2 weeks after the fall -- because it would not have healed on its own... was out of work for 5 weeks. HOWEVER -- 4 weeks after the fall, another friend put me up on her very safe pony, and with two people spotting me, I had a 5 minute leadline ride. Did that with Trump for 15 minutes about a week later, and gradually added to what I was doing. I got a safety vest and wore it trail riding, and even jumped a few very low jumps in November. At the same time, my horse was (and still is) with a dressage trainer, and I started riding her again, first just to cool her out at the walk after a training session, and eventually in mini-lessons.

BUT.... my orthopedist recently described, in gruesome detail, what would happen if I fell and landed on my left shoulder again. Because of the metal plate (which I have to keep forever), all the bones around it would shatter Orthopedist wanted me to stop riding entirely and didn't believe that I'd improved so much (strength, range of motion etc.) just by grooming horses. I've only ever fallen off while jumping, so eventually we compromised: I cannot jump anymore, ever. So I got one horse trial in my whole life, loved it... and now I'm earthbound. And yes, my mare is a lovely dressage horse, and not jumping will keep her calmer... but still. PITY PARTY!

Default not as bad

well, mine isnt as bad in terms of expense, but i just came off of 2 broken wrists from a fall.....which left me unable to whipe my own butt without ATLEAST wet wipes (and some very interesting contortion to keep my casts clean!) .... thank god for saintly husbands....and im a nurse. TMI?

Default no

not TMI, but hey you guys, I'm starting to feel better. God, does that make me awful???

Misery LOVES company.

Finally starting to get somewhere with my opinionated by talented 7yr conn/tb and training level was in our sights. Finally moved all the horses home to my new barn and noticed he was slightly off..not horrible but NQR. Vet comes out and does flexions and we find out he has fractured his knee. Nope he couldn't do something easy he fractured the palmar radial carpal bone in the back of the knee. Heads up to New Bolton for a bone scan and possible surgery. The scan shows some changes in the front of the knee as well as the back so we are now holding off the surgery since the surgery is going to be so difficult anyway because you have to go through the back of the knee.

We will take more x-rays at the end of this month and see what we end up doing but prognosis does not sound good.

My other personal horse was battling a joint infection in his hock for two months. Luckily, that was a mild infection so we were able to get rid of it with no damage to the joint at all!

I know things could be worse but man on man I have been through it and am still going to be going through it. He is doing well on his third month of stall rest but if he has the surgery we are looking at another 3-4 months at least.

I am going through the exact same thing with my OTTB. He had a fabulous first season at BN and had popped a small splint during the spring. It never bothered him. Now he popped another one right after our last event in November. It is bigger and is above the old one, so they kind of blend together. He was very lame, vet said give him a month off in a small paddock or stall rest. I opted for small paddock, but after 3 weeks, he was still off. I mustered up the courage to put him in a stall and was almost taken off with while handgrazing for two weeks! THAT was why I didn't want to do stall rest, lol. But, good news, he is now sound and I turned him out yesterday on some ACE. I'll start walking work today. Don't worry, there is always an end to these kinds of things, just be patient.
    Lindsay

Check out my blog at http://lindsayberreth.com

Horseless -

Wow. That just really sucks. What I have come to believe is that the more you spend on a prepurchase vetting, the higher the risk that the horse ends up lame.

Similarly, the higher the pricetag: 1) the higher the odds that the horse will end up lame and/or 2) the more you will end up spending to avoid the horse being lame and/or 3) the more you will end up spending to treat lameness and injuries in said horse and/or 4) the number of days that the horse will spend in a stall on stallrest while in your care will increase.

Alternatively, the $500 or free horse will always be rock-solid sound. Even with track jewlery covering her legs that makes you go cross-eyed to look at.

That's my (admittedly cynical) view and I'm sticking to it!

Awww! Hugs to everyone!
    I was there last year, cancer, surgery, chemo, bald head!
    this year I am enjoying my horse and riding better than I have in years!
    Good luck to you all, you just have to keep putting one foot in front of the other.
    Quietann, I shattered my leg below the knee 7 years ago and was told not to ride at all. I schooled xc last saturday . If I hurt that leg, who knows what will happen, but I've had 7 years off riding that I would not have had.

Wow, you guys have made me feel better. <knock wood>

Of course maybe I'll mine are healthy because I'm not really DOING anything with them?
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

We once had someone coming to look at a horse and cancelled b/c of big storms. Well, the storm brought a tornado that threw the horse through a fence. Cost us 1800 in vet bills (this was 10 years ago) and a WHOLE LOT of time (6 weeks of rehab to get him sound, but round-the-clock monitoring for the first few). Buyer came back once the horse was sound and bought him cash on the spot--for 1800. Couldn't she have come one day earlier? Then the whole tornado thing would not have happened or at least not to us!

We've also had one die of leukemia (my then 12 year old sister's horse), one in a trailer accident 2 days before their first Training (her next horse--she was 17), one colic surgery the day after purchasing a horse, one mystery lameness (lots and lots of diagnostics and a year in the field didn't do the trick--gave him away as a companion), one navicular (gave him away as a trail horse), one drugged when sold to us (my sister's next horse--she was still 17), one tendon followed by colic surgery just after coming sound--total 2 years off (my sister's next horse--she was 19). My injury prone mare is the soundest/healthiest of all the horses we've owned (except the drugged psycho horse).

OMG-when it rains it pours!! I feel for all you guys-it just sucks sometimes how life can keep kicking you when you're down. I guess we all go through this stuff in some form or another at some time-and no, you shouldn't feel horrible for feeling better when everyone else shares their misfortunes. Let's face it, as horsepeople we get enough abuse from nonhorsepeople about how crazy we are and it's nice to know we have other people who can relate to our trials. I once had a very wise person tell me that 90% of the population doesn't have anything that they're passionate about-they go through life without anything that truly gives them joy. At least we have something that gets us motivated and happy and even when things are down we have friends there to try and help us through. My heart goes out to all of you-good luck....

I don't even have time to go into it all right now... but I'm with you all!

Default Rainbow?

My most expensive/talented horse was also hurt really badly--cut his leg almost off, cutting his medial patellar ligament. Vet sewed it, and he actually came back about a year later...was jumping tumbleweeds in the pasture, but still a bit weak. We were starting to ride him dressage, and then he tore soemthing, got some soft tissue damage on the OTHER hind leg. Now he's off for another 6-12 months...so he's become my very expensive pasture ornament.

The upshot is that I started riding my other, inexpensive horse again (out of necessity!) and we are doing GREAT. Moved up to N, and I think we can do training, which was my goal (by mid-century mark)....!

My other pity party is about my 2 year old warmblood, who's growing so fast his sesmoid bones are too big, and the vet says to KEEP HIM QUIET so we don't have soft tissue damage on him. He's likely to grow into himself, but now he's just off kilter (which he was as a yearling, too, though then it was his knees). He was an orphan, then got "adopted" by a QH mare...so who knows what kind nutrition he got early on.

Still, my yearling WB is doing AWESOME. He's going to be something special.

Default Horseless1 wins this party I think.

Truly sorry to hear your tale of woe.

Hope things start looking up for you soon.

Nothing to say except "wow - does that suck"