The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default My old man was ouchy this morning!

My retired horse, who is 16, finally showed his age in the cold today. He just looked achy all over, I felt so bad! I know a lot of COTHers have oldesters, so I thought maybe you guys could help make him more comfy!

I'm wondering if joint supps really work, and what ingredients should I be looking for to make him more comfortable? I'd also love to know if any of you use legends for your older horses?

Please fill me in!!

I just put my 20 y/o TB on MSM. I started about 2 weeks ago and see a noticeable difference. He's looser, happier, and throwing a few bucks in turnout!

I was considering doing some Adequan but think I may wait it out awhile now.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Achy how, what did you see? Can you give more detail and what do you feed him?

Quote Originally Posted by magicteetango View Post
    My retired horse, who is 16, finally showed his age in the cold today. He just looked achy all over, I felt so bad! I know a lot of COTHers have oldesters, so I thought maybe you guys could help make him more comfy!

I'm wondering if joint supps really work, and what ingredients should I be looking for to make him more comfortable? I'd also love to know if any of you use legends for your older horses?

Please fill me in!!
    I've got 9 over the age of 16 and the only time they move slowly is when the ground is either frozen hard or slick.

I'd like to know more details too. Like is he stalled or in some other way confined?

I attribute how well my oldsters get around to them being in good health, having no arthritic issues to complain about (not on any supplements either), in with a herd, out 24/7 and just simply, being horses/ponies. They find the sunny patches in their pastures early on these cold mornings. They don't require blankets at night as they have a good layer of body fat and good hair coats. They've got run-in shelters if they want to go in them. These are horses and ponies between the ages of 18 and 31.

Tree

He just looked stiff, and like he barely wanted to move. I'm pretty sure it's arthritis. He wasn't lethargic or lame in any spot, just stiff.

I feed him 4lbs a day of Legends Peformance 11% protein, 10% fat, and he has constant access to his round bale. He is in good weight and condition, with good feet, although he is barefoot. However, he's been barefoot for years, so I doubt that would be contributing. He is on 24/7 turnout with 3 other horses.

How much MSM do you give your boy, Flash?

He just looked stiff, and like he barely wanted to move
    Make sure he's not maybe going laminitic on you!

Arthritis kinda creeps up, sudden changes could mean possibly something else. Have you checked his hooves yet?

My 25 yo OTTB does really well on Smartflex Senior. We did do a loading dose of the not-really-generic Adequan last year and she did really well with that. I won't hesitate to do that again if she needs it.

I would look for around 10,000 mg MSM. I also noticed a difference the first time we put her on Devil's Claw. I do the Smartflex Senior now because it is more economical, and she gets all sorts of other good stuff (probiotics and glucosamine) in it for about the same price I was paying to piece together just the Devil's Claw and MSM. I have also heard good things about Yucca for arthritis.

He's been a little stiff before, it's not as though it came out of nowhere. He just didn't seem that achy. But I'll definitely check his hooves tonight, I didn't even think of it!

Yes, just in case. Hope it is just muscle or joint stiffness. You might not want to feed him any grain too, again , just in case. Barely wanting to move sounds more to me than just arthritis.

Hope he's OK!

Is he blanketed? If it is arthritis (and nothing worse) and if he is affected by the cold, warming him up a bit with a carefully monitored blanket or a little stall time each day might keep the old bones a little more comfortable. I am all for horses getting as much turnout time as possible, but I've known a few horses who really seem to benefit from a little indoor time with their own private hay snack (I saw that he already has a round bale 24/7).

Also, is he worked at all? Have you noticed if he's better or worse with exercise?
    Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Website

Quote Originally Posted by magicteetango View Post
    He just looked stiff, and like he barely wanted to move. I'm pretty sure it's arthritis. He wasn't lethargic or lame in any spot, just stiff.

I feed him 4lbs a day of Legends Peformance 11% protein, 10% fat, and he has constant access to his round bale. He is in good weight and condition, with good feet, although he is barefoot. However, he's been barefoot for years, so I doubt that would be contributing. He is on 24/7 turnout with 3 other horses.

How much MSM do you give your boy, Flash?
    I decided to try the SmartMSM from SmartPak since I was ordering a few other things from there.... I like it. It is 10,000mg MSM per serving, and it is a pellet so I knew he'd eat it! Economical too at $10 a month.

They have a SmartFlex Senior product also but I'm happy with the straight MSM and will probably stick with it.

I believe HorseTech has the purest MSM available, someone else may know... not sure how it stacks up in relation to SmartPak's version.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

I'm all for MSM. We recently adopted a 24 year old ex-show hunter, who has arthritis and was off all of the time at the trot. She was on Senior Flex, but I ran out, and couldn't find it locally. I happened to run into my vet at the feed store, and he told me to put her on asprin and MSM. She is like a new horse! She is totally sound at the trot, and gallops around and kicks out like a 2y/o. She has no history of ulcers, so the asprin is not a concern.

My old girl (21) is on SmartFlex Senior. I love it. She loves it. She spent all weekend tearing around the farm playing Seabiscuit ("severe" heaves my behind... she ran at least 3 miles around and around and stopped and was breathing like she just went for a stroll... she apparently just has heaves if I ask her to work...which landed her in horse heaven retirement...but I digress)

She is also getting a gram of bute a day and gets Glucosamine injections if she's going through a rough spell. We have had a lot of x-rays the last couple of years, and she has lots of joints fusing... So her vet and I have worked out a plan for her that really helps.

I've also found that on really cold days, she really appreciates having her stiff joints rubbed with a little arthritis cream or arnica. Helps keep them warm.
    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.

I have heard really good things about cosequin ASU, that may be worth a try.

We took my old man off all supplements and turned him out 24/7. We let him be a horse this winter.. didnt clip him, got him fat as a tick so hes warm (and desided not to blanket him). I have never seen him soo happy!

I am really happy with the SmartPak Senior Flex. I have seen a difference in my mare and I was skeptical.
    “If you are irritated by every rub, how will your mirror be polished?”
    ? Rumi