The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Lunging question: I really need input.

When I lunge a horse, I always have put the line through the bit ring on the near side, over the head and attached to the opposite side bit ring.

A friend is using one of my horses for riding. The trainer she has teaching her told her to put the line through the bit ring, wrap it once and go under the chin and attach it to the other side. The trainer says "This is the most current approved method."

Not sure what I think about that. Couldn't that be particularly severe? My horse goes in a thick jointed snaffle.

Thanks.

I do it like you do. I've never heard of the way your trainer is telling you.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

I believe, and have been trained, that you RARELY go to the bit, period.

Cavesson. PERIOD.

<shrugs> Just my training, and what I agree with.

Think of the LEVERAGE you have on that bit!
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

OP I have seen it done both ways and done it both ways and I really honestly believe the safest way (EXCLUDING with a cavesson) is to do it your way - lunge line OVER the poll. I find that when you put it under the chin and doubled back that it pulls tight and gives the horse a constant nutcracker action - and very tightly it can pull.

if you are lunging with a roller or saddle, I like to put the lunge line through the inside bit ring and clip it to the d-ring on the saddle (same side as bit ring). That works nicely as well.

We were taught that standard is to use a cavesson or if we have a bridle, with a snaffle of course, we did it like you do.
    We may have longed with a bridle on and a cavesson over it, as in colts getting used to wearing a snaffle, or a horse we wanted to longe for training reasons while tacked up,

We only longed with a bridle after a horse was very good longing, so there would be no unecessary pulling around on the line.

I didn't think to use any other way with a bridle and you are supposed to use the longe line as an extension of your hand, just as you do a regular rein.

As I do not own a lunge cavesson I used to lunge like you do but after reading Klimke's "Basic Training of the Young Horse" I bought a chin strap to attach the lunge line to. You can run the lunge from the inside ring through the outside and then back to the inside as suggested. Running the lunge line over the head tends to have a much stronger effect than the other ways according to Klimke and that might be too severe for young horses.

Quote Originally Posted by FootPerfect View Post
    The trainer says "This is the most current approved method."
    That made me laugh. Like the FDA for horse training or something?

I have seen and done it both ways. When I taught my mare to lunge I started with a cavesson and she HATED it. So we switched to a halter, then to the over the poll method. Worked great.

Sometimes I lunge for about a minute or two before riding and will often loop it under the bit. However, she is very good at lungeing; I don't have to really use any more than body language and verbal cues.

I do think anytime you connect to the bit you need to be careful and really trust your handler. If you're not sure then I'd go back to a cavesson, just in case.

I was taught to lunge the same way you were ((over the poll) however with my current horse I snap onto the caveson (under her jaw). She doesn't pull at all and does everything to verbal commands. Sometimes I lunge with side reins attached to a surcingle and then I still attach to the caveson.

I either stick a halter on over the bridle or use an attachment (clips on to both sides of the bit, and gives you a center ring underneath). That's if I'm planning to lunge. Sometimes though, you get on and realize you need to toss them on a lunge line, either to get some spunk out or to watch them go if they feel funny. Then I do it the way that you do, up and over the poll. I would never run it through the bit. Imagine the pressure that would be put on their mouth if they got to pulling... and there's no easy way to release it.

I would keep doing what you're doing.
    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.

Here's what I was always told:

Caverson for baby horses or thoese learning to lunge.
    Bit ring to bit ring over the head for strong horses.

I've never heard of clipping it like that.

I use a bridle and I clip it to the bit, or over the head. I never heard/seen/used the line under the chin

When I was going for my coach 1, I was told that this method was unacceptable for the exam. We were to use a cavesson. I personally always have just clipped to bit as my horse lunges well and I do not lunge riders on horses.

I lounge either with a cavesson, or through the bit, over the head, clipped to the bit on the other side. Thats the Pony Club method, and thats what I was brought up with- and it works. That being said, I'm not a fan of people who don't know what they are doing lounging horses. You do have a lot of leverage when the line is over the head- but it is only comes into play with a lounger with 'bad' hands, or a horse who honestly needs the control. I will never lounge in a halter (totally unsafe), or one of those V things you clip to both sides of the bit (only actually puts pressure on the outside and puts a well trained horse in a counterbend).

I do it the way you do (over the poll).

I have had a couple close calls with people lunging while I'm riding at the other end, and it's always when they either had cavessons or just halters on. When the horses got out of hand, the handler didn't have enough control.

I also do it over the poll.

Cavesson. Always.

If you are going to longe in a bridle, I either do it your way (for strong horses), or I put it through the inside bit ring and noseband, and snap it back to itself. I prefer the seond method for most horses.

If you do just the noseband, it is possible that it will break if the horse pulls/jerks his head.

If you do just the inside bit ring, you can pull the bit through the mouth (I've seen this happen lots of times). You might be OK if you use something like a full cheek, however.

If you wrap the inside bit ring, under the chin, to outside ring, you end up pinching the lower jaw between the 2 rings.

But I prefer a cavesson.

I had a rope halter made with a nose loop. I always slip this on my horse first. Then I put on her regular halter and change to the bridle.

I have a cavesson, but have only used the nose-loop halter for nearly two years. It doesn't interfere with her bridle, and it's always ready to go.

Quote Originally Posted by FootPerfect View Post
    When I lunge a horse, I always have put the line through the bit ring on the near side, over the head and attached to the opposite side bit ring.

A friend is using one of my horses for riding. The trainer she has teaching her told her to put the line through the bit ring, wrap it once and go under the chin and attach it to the other side. The trainer says "This is the most current approved method."

Not sure what I think about that. Couldn't that be particularly severe? My horse goes in a thick jointed snaffle.

Thanks.
    the correct manner is over the head, but you can put the lunge line from near side bit ring under the chin to the opposite bit ring
    you should never wrap the lunge line then connect its doesnt do anything at all
    and one should never lunge with the lunge attached to the same side as one is lunging
    as it will create more problems and if the horse should pull then hes more likely to get away or away with it

you can also used a lunging head collar with 3 rings on the caversson using the middle ring
    as the other two can be used for side reins attached to a roller

Longing cavesson or over the poll.

G.