The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default beet pulp, shredded, rolled or pellet?

What, if any is the difference in fiber content or benefits of the various forms beet pulp comes in?
    Thanks.

Once you pellet things, the fiber length generally shrivels, so I wouldn't use that for added long-stem fiber.

The shredded will do for that.

I have not heard of rolled though!

Yes, there is a difference. The fiber in the shredded beet pulp is longer & this is important to the horse's digestive system which needs the "scratch" of very long fibers to operate properly.

I went to the feed store yesterday and asked basically the same question, was told that it was preference....not much difference....then you need to ask plain or with molasses...I went with plain shredded

What is the price difference between the pelleted and the shredded PB?

Shredded beet pulp can be fed without soaking, but generally comes with molasses which is not desirable.

Quote Originally Posted by BornToRide View Post
    Shredded beet pulp can be fed without soaking, but generally comes with molasses which is not desirable.
    Sorry, I would disagree with this. Unwetted, shredded beet pulp is a big factor in choke. Folks post on here fairly often about their animals choking after feeding shreds dry.

Shreds in commercial mixed feeds are a VERY small percentage, often have some moisture with sweetening agents like molasses in the mix. A feed mixture is not like feeding straight, dry shreds.

We feed pellets soaked. Horses get hay, so any tickle factor is covered with hay. We feed beet pulp to increase forage, get more water into the horse.

Around here, pellets are markedly cheaper than shredded beet pulp. Costs or savings add up over a year of purchases. Our pellets have no molasses, we don't want all that extra sweetner in our horses, no feed value. The horses here eat plain, wet beet pulp just fine. A little planning to allow enough soaking time with pellets is needed, but gets to be routine quickly. Shreds soak up much faster, which is why most folks prefer shredded. I would rather save the cash in price differences, stay with my pellets.

I know of horses who choked when fed dry, shredded beet pulp, owners wanted to save time. Very ugly, unneccesary. Don't feed beet pulp if you don't want to soak it!! I know what the studies say, Vets behind the studies. Choke is what we see when beet pulp shreds are fed dry.

Quote Originally Posted by BornToRide View Post
    From what I understand, all bp has *some* molasses added in the process of creating the final form in order to keep dust down. The "plain" or "added molasses" comes from the final packaging where either some is added, or it's not. It's usually very easy to find "plain" shredded (where bp is available of course). If it does have molasses added, soak and rinse. If you're feeding bp at all to a metabolic horse, you should probably rinse anyway. You'd be surposed how brown and sugary that first rinse water from "plain" bp can be.

I've been feeding beet pulp to my horses for many years now. I have only used the shredded because they have to chew it and when they do the chewing releases digestive enzymes which is the first step in the digestion process, really important. I do use the molasses flavored but it's the only molasses they get. They only get a cup per horse of regular washed oats an most of their meal is 50/50 hay cubes and I also add about a generous 1/2 cup of ground flax seed. I used to use Equi-Jewel stabilized rice bran too but it's another high fat foot and my boys are quite the fatties. I also add Opt-E-Horse as an all purpose supplement, it has probiotics, trace minerals as well as vitamins and minerals that they need. When the winter gets going I'll add sea kelp to give them a healthy boost and if they start eating mud again I'll also add a small amount of horse minerals. That will stop them from mud eating. I haven't fed a formulated feed in ages but my guys are doing well, they have a hay buffet of orchard grass and go to town on it. I take the whole mix of beet pulp, hay cubes, ground flax and oats and mix them up with the Opt-E-Horse and soak it for a while and they share that, unfortunately they also sometimes dump the flat feeders. That I don't appreciate. Teddy is the one who does this, he ranks low and wants the food so he grabs one of the dishes. Sometimes if I ask nicely he'll also hand me the empty,dirty dish, I have to point to it. He says, "Sir, may I have some more, please."

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

I LOFF the rolled beep. It's rolled and some veggie oil is added--though the fat content is almost nil, so I suspect the oil is just sprayed for dust...

It is super easy to handle and feeds like rolled oats. Never a choke issue. It's way expensive, however, or else I'd feed it exclusively. I do get it for my stallion, since he can't have alfalfa or soy. He gets the rolled beep and whole oats etc. I would have to extrapolate that there isn't quite as much fiber as the shreds--or the right kind of fiber, as stated above-- but I don't think it would be any different than the pellets.

The pellets are quite a bit cheaper than shreds up here. Couple of dollars more per bag for a 40lb bag of shreds vs. 50lbs of pellets. Pellets are easy to handle, but must be soaked. (lost a beautiful yearling to complications from choke. Not the choke itself, but he had to be treated, flipped with the nose tube, died 24 hrs later. )
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

I find the pellets to be cheaper, but they are a pain to soak. I use shredded as it soaks better plus has the right fiber length.

bought a bag of plain shredded it cost 16.00. last year same bag was 10.00