The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The Dumors are innocent! Ulcer cause found, and it's unbelievable (pg2)

Ok bad title I know, but I just had to share a discovery I made about 2 weeks ago with my ulcer-prone horse. I bought him a bag of carrots, and in the interest of stretching my treat money, stopped feeding him his usual daily handful of Dumor treats while the carrots lasted. During that few days (it was a 5lb bag of carrots ), I realized I hadn't needed to give him any Gastrogard. So, as an experiment, I kept him off the Dumors. Lo and behold, no ulcer symptoms for over a week (a record as of late). He cleaned up every morsel of feed (which he usually doesn't do unless he's just had Gastrogard), did a good job on his hay, and just seemed completely chilled out. When he did get slightly symptomatic again, it was mild and remedied with a half-dose of Gastrogard.

Connection? I think so! I'm going to give out the Dumors to the other horses in the barn, and stick with "natural" treats for my boy. Even if it only allows me to dose him half as much with Gastrogard, the money I save will be huge, and of course his comfort is worth it.

I hope I'm really onto something.
    Last edited by SBT; Dec. 7, 2008 at 02:13 AM.

I HATE Dumor. Especially those d*mn "horse blocks" they put out. THe first ingredient is molasses!! It's disgusting! There is an owner at the barn I used to work at who keeps bringing them...and we kept chucking them out. She's like "ooh there must be pot in there, they just snarf it!" She doesn't read the ingredients!!
    Last edited by murphyluv; Nov. 28, 2008 at 07:20 PM.

I didn't have a problem with the Dumor treats until my non-horsey significant other pointed out that their "clover" shape is really just half the dog bone mold. For some reason, that bothers me.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Quote Originally Posted by Texarkana View Post
    I didn't have a problem with the Dumor treats until my non-horsey significant other pointed out that their "clover" shape is really just half the dog bone mold. For some reason, that bothers me.
    Not sure who actually makes them, lots of TSC products however are made by Purina.

We've never had any issues with the treats, usually get the Oatmeal Raisin and Honey. We don't ever give more then 2 or 3 anyway and not everyday.
    "Have a Coke and a Smile"

How interesting. I have been using the Dumor treats for a while now and have been having some issues that I have been reluctant to attribute to ulcers (do as I say, not as I do ) I haven't minded that they aren't the best treat out there, as the quantity is so small. But I find your post very interesting.

I actually got a bag of Manna Pro Apple Wafers today, just for something different. He loves them (never expected otherwise ) but dang I need to find a way to break them up! So, he will be getting those, period, and I'll give the Dumor's to the mare.

Interesting.

Crap! The beastie that I suspect of having ulcers gets lots of Dumors.....
    Of course, I have read here that some people suspect carrots of contributing to ulcers. What can I give the picky eater that will be good for his tummy and help put on weight?!
    Y'all ain't right!

Here's what my neighbor told me about carrots: "I don't have to worm my horses because I feed them a lot of carrots." Upon questioning, no, she's never done a fecal. I had never, ever heard this before. I've also never heard of carrots (or cookies) causing ulcers. Maybe the carrots give the worms ulcers, and they leave on their own.
    Barbaro Cultist, Metabolic Nazi

Quote Originally Posted by I'm EBO View Post
    Here's what my neighbor told me about carrots: "I don't have to worm my horses because I feed them a lot of carrots." Upon questioning, no, she's never done a fecal. I had never, ever heard this before. I've also never heard of carrots (or cookies) causing ulcers. Maybe the carrots give the worms ulcers, and they leave on their own.
    Sounds like my old theory that the more alcohol I drank the less likely I was to get sick. No germ in it's right mind would set up shop in my body! Sober now (and get sick more often, maybe I was on to something!).

This type of thing doesn't really suprise me. If I have any High Fructose Corn Syrup I get a reaction ranging from mild acid indegestion to severe Gastro Reflux.

If I can have this reaction, why can't horses have a similiar reaction to stuff in thier feed.

Christa

My horse only gets carrots and peppermints (the fat puffy ones) as treats. On occasion, he'll get a willie muffin or something else. But those are few and far between.

He gets probably 8-10 of each a week. I use the carrots for stretches after I ride (2 carrots) and the peppermints to catch him (1 peppermint) and as a "goodnight" treat (1 peppermint). I go out to the barn 4-5 days a week. And ride 3-4 times a week.

So far, I've never had any issues. He gets a complete pelleted feed (McCauley's). And a grass mix hay.

Yup! Treats are huge culprits in a lot of the ulcer prone beasties. I've really scan over the ingredients in anything I buy now. When I buy treats from TSC, I get the Giddyap Girls Premium Horse Treats. Of course, it took Sunshine a bit to get used to them & as long as I break it in thirds, she'll eat them then make goofy faces.
    *bad shoulder clique * Member of "OMGiH, I loff my Mare" Clique! * Proud owner of a CANTER Cutie!
    My Horses; COMH Page; My Blog

Manna Pro Apple wafers ...

If you need to break them up, I've found that a rock and a hard place work well. Or... place several in a rubber feed pan and smash with a hammer.

However, even my goats (with only 1 set of teeth) have NO trouble with them.

Here's the ingredients if anyone is interested:
    Manna Pro Apple Wafers:
    Hominy, feeding oatmeal, linseed meal, cane molasses, dried whey, ground corn, hydrated alfalfa meal, sunflower meal, wheat middlings, apple flavor, salt, fenugreek seed, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, choline chloride, niacin, riboflavin supplement, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid, d-biotin, calcium carbonate, zinc oxide, manganous oxide, copper oxide, copper sulfate, ferrous sulfate, ferrous carbonate, cobalt carbonate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite, sulfur, iron oxide, and anise oil. Ingredients may vary by region
    Manna Pro Apple Flavor Wafers are designed to provide a nutritional "treat" or "reward" for horses. Apple Flavor Wafers will not imbalance the normal ration.
    - Feed up to 2 lbs. per head per day.
    - Do not over feed or offer free choice.

Quote Originally Posted by gabz View Post
    Manna Pro Apple wafers ...

If you need to break them up, I've found that a rock and a hard place work well. Or... place several in a rubber feed pan and smash with a hammer.
    Yep, I just bought a bag of those last Friday and could NOT believe how hard those suckers are!!! I want to break them up for the sole reason of having small small treats to use. I do lots of carrot stretches, and he does a great big cat stretch just to get a treat too

And they smell YUMMY!!

The Apple wafers do smelly yummy.

My TB loves them...although what treat doesn't he love?

I didn't find them too hard to break. He likes those for his neck stretches too.

He also has a love affair with peanut butter crackers...

Sunshine's downfall is the Manna Pro Peppermint snacks. The mare goes absolutely ga-ga over them.
    *bad shoulder clique * Member of "OMGiH, I loff my Mare" Clique! * Proud owner of a CANTER Cutie!
    My Horses; COMH Page; My Blog

The peppermint snacks have a special pocket in purse 'cuz I don't dare be caught anywhere without them. The dogs love them, the horses love them...it's nuts!

Little dumplin' is only going to be getting homemade treats from his new momma, my foodie clients will need to take a number, dumplin' comes first
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

My ulcer horse (confirmed with scope) can't have any pre-manufactured treats. I feed her carrots - though the vet said a lot of ulcer horses can't handle those either. But she does ok with them. And I make homemade cookies with whole wheat flower, flax flour, sunflower seeds, salt, oatmeal, and shredded carrots. They spoil fast so you have to keep them refrigerated, but they're easy to make and she loves them. If I'm out of both of the above, I just give her handfulls of alfalfa pellets. But absolutely nothing with molasses, corn syrup, or the like.

Our horse love oat bread as a treat. We love fresh bread from Whole Foods. When it is a little stale, the horses and dogs still love it. We also feed carrots and apples (when on sale) as treats.

Does this pertain to the grain as well or just the treats.

Corn, oats, molasses are either simple sugars or contain non structural carbs which are easily broken down in the stomach to simple sugars.

Carrots are high in sugar.

My ulcer horse gets alfalfa cubes only as a treat. I buy a 50 lb bag and the trash can sits near the cross ties, all the horses get a cube as a treat, my trainer likes to give them stuff. The horses are all well behaved about it. No one gets weird unless someone takes the top off the trash can. Then there are various responses - staring at the can trying to will the cubes over, lip flapping by one of the ponies, standing stock still with ears forward, one of them stands with one foot up. They stop begging when the lid goes on.

Of course mine also has food allergies - to corn and oats specifically among other things.

They honestly don't care what they get - the act of giving them something is the big deal.