The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Christmas in Middleburg - The Hounds went Shopping!

Randy and I attended the annual Christmas in Middleburg festivites with the horses/hounds on main street and the later "Santa" parade. It was very worth the cold weather this year.. as the hounds came down the road and all of a sudden... they veered to the left.

The entire pack went into "Creme de la Creme" a very posh and fancy French kitchen store on the main strip, it was a sight to see! 50 hounds or so helping themselves and checking out the latest in French fabrics for the table, French dishware, French Candles etc.... It was hysterical.

Eventually, about 3 minutes later... the enitre pack came out again and finished their annual romp down route 50... to the cheers of the crowd. It's always a treat. It's the one day of the year the rest of the world (besides the horse commuity, or locals, that Middleburg exists on the map!)

Someone in the crowd said last year, which I was not in attendance, the pack went into the corner Butcher store (Home Farm) having smelled all the meat that had been freshly cut in there the night before!! That must have been something to see. I noticed this year that the doors were closed on Home Farm, avoiding a hound from taking his sample this year.
    One of a Kind Studio
    Fine Art Paintings, Horses, Dogs, Wildlife and anything else that inspires.

New convert to the cow horse world.. love my QH mare.

I've noticed most of the horses are wearing martingales.

Was that just for the parade? I didn't think you jumped horses in martingales....

And how the heck do they keep all those hounds under control? I have enough problem with my "pack" of 2!

Quote Originally Posted by gothedistance View Post
    OMG! That is so funny. I saw that happen, and the whips scrambling to get the giggling hounds back into dignified pack formation.

Didn't capture their "detour" on film, but did get these shots as they came to the top of the street before turning to head back to the meet.
    Your photos came out great!
    One of a Kind Studio

Quote Originally Posted by Kyzteke View Post
    I've noticed most of the horses are wearing martingales.

Was that just for the parade? I didn't think you jumped horses in martingales....

And how the heck do they keep all those hounds under control? I have enough problem with my "pack" of 2!
    Many horses are hunted in martingales, and jump just fine.

How you keep a pack of hounds under control is lots of work, every day of the year, caring for those hounds, walking them out, roading, etc.

I love doing the Christmas in Middleburg parade. I couldn't miss it...even for a Trusts & Estates final at 2 PM!

Our hounds do enjoy shopping during the holidays. Last year some actually headed into Wylie Wagg as well as the Home Store... I suppose they couldn't resist the fashionable doggie wear and yummy cookies!

Kyzeteke, most horses jump in either a standing or running martingale. Properly adjusted, it in no way interferes.
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

Quote Originally Posted by SidesaddleRider View Post
    I love doing the Christmas in Middleburg parade. I couldn't miss it...even for a Trusts & Estates final at 2 PM!

Our hounds do enjoy shopping during the holidays. Last year some actually headed into Wylie Wagg as well as the Home Store... I suppose they couldn't resist the fashionable doggie wear and yummy cookies!

Kyzeteke, most horses jump in either a standing or running martingale. Properly adjusted, it in no way interferes.
    I waved at you Devon, and your other friend who was riding SS, it was a great day, although a bit cold. It was so funny to see the hounds go shopping. At least none were caught Shoplifting!! LOL
    One of a Kind Studio

Quote Originally Posted by La Gringa View Post
    I waved at you Devon, and your other friend who was riding SS, it was a great day, although a bit cold. It was so funny to see the hounds go shopping. At least none were caught Shoplifting!! LOL
    Aww, thanks! It's always so nice to see everyone in the crowd. Dorry was riding Quest for her first time in the parade (he's such a steady-eddy), and she had a great time. Tracey was also aside on Clemmie (she also had to rush out after the parade to catch a plane to Paris).

I thought they smelled our puppy! And were super interested in us. They went in front of us then took the detour back and were headed straight for us.
    Sorry, but while entertaining, I kinda thought there would be more huntsmen.

Quote Originally Posted by LisaB View Post
    Sorry, but while entertaining, I kinda thought there would be more huntsmen.
    I'm not sure what you mean by this?

There is only ever 1 huntsman in a hunt. He controls the hounds. Then there are a number of whips, who help to guide the hounds. Then there is the field. If you mean you thought there would be more people in the field, then OK. A lot of people decided not to ride due to how hard the footing was or the cold weather, or had things that came up (for instance, I did the parade, but didn't hunt as I had to leave right after to take a final for law school).

Yes, that's what I meant, SideSaddle. But everyone was decked out and very nice looking and FRIENDLY! I think it would be a blast to do it, myself. The hubby has been asking about foxhunting and if I had a horse, we would definitely be out there. We had a not-so-good time with another hunt in another event and I had to assure him it was just that hunt and there are others. Just further away unfortunately.
    It does speak volumes for how the general public perceives you guys. Kudos!

Nice photos! Looked like lots of fun for all that were there.

Quote Originally Posted by La Gringa View Post
    Someone in the crowd said last year, which I was not in attendance, the pack went into the corner Butcher store (Home Farm) having smelled all the meat that had been freshly cut in there the night before!! That must have been something to see. I noticed this year that the doors were closed on Home Farm, avoiding a hound from taking his sample this year.
    HAHA! I WISH they would have gotten into the home farm store for a nice snack! .. seeing as how the proprietress is anti-foxhunting! cool irony there...

You are BRAVE! I'm too afraid of my finals to do anything like that! Though I did work part of the day of my Con Law exam....

I don't know if brave is the term for it. I was going to bag it, and was very disappointed, but then Dorry, who has been riding Quest, offered to take Kyra home for me (while George went hunting), so I got to leave for school right from the meet, and got in with over an hour to spare before the exam.

(maybe my belief in being able to make it in OK stems from the disasterous trip in for my Torts final last year... do you remember when we got the snow and ice? I left home at 5:30 AM for my 9:30 AM exam, and I arrived at school at 9:25 AM due to the extreme # of accidents everywhere! Talk about stressful... )

Quote Originally Posted by InVA View Post
    HAHA! I WISH they would have gotten into the home farm store for a nice snack! .. seeing as how the proprietress is anti-foxhunting! cool irony there...
    Although S.L. has gotten a bit less antaganistic since she's been dating S.K. She allowed Piedmont to have a hunt trail ride at Ayershire this past summer, and she's been coming to our hunt balls and formal events with S.K. for the past couple of years now. Maybe someday soon the hounds and field will once again cross the farm...

I love doing the Christmas in Middleburg parade. I couldn't miss it...
    Ditto my feelings exactly! It is such a fun day and has come to be an annual rite for us. Meeting at the Red Fox is marvelous, and hacking down the main street of Middleburg makes you feel like you are in England or Ireland.

The bitter cold, the lowering grey skies, the old architecture of stone and stucco, the clop-clop-clop of hooves on pavement....but most of all, the perfect turn-out of riders like the Middleburg MFHS Mrs. Penny Denegre and Mr. Jeff Blue, huntsman John Tabachka, and field members like Mr. Jim Nichols, sporting a scarlet frock complete with top hat or Devon in her impeccable sidesaddle habit, it all makes a vingette you will carry with you for a long time.

Seeing the good spirits of the crowd (which seems to be growing every year!) is very heartening. There are literally hundreds of spectators lining the sidewalks; waving, taking photos and calling out MERRY CHRISTMAS and the riders respond in like, what a wonderful representation of hunting in America!

There is nothing else quite like it, and it is an honour and privilege to be included in their festivities as they kick off the holiday season in hunt country.